Author Topic: Seth [RELEASED]  (Read 39112 times)

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Ok, I think this is the best I can do: Time to get back to the community!

Download here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?bbz66j033i4ua7n
http://www.mediafire.com/?1c0wd0l428u5bq6
http://www.mediafire.com/?1pv1fw8l5w3nrg3
http://www.mediafire.com/?y2mlg3na2t6oaab
Now with baked glows!

3D preview:

Hope you enjoy it!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everybody!

So, this is my first post. I've been lurking for some time here at HLP admiring the work this community has done.
First of all, I want to thank all the people who has contributed to push this game so far.

Secondly, I started up with Blender a while ago as a hobby. Finally, I've decided it's time to cheap in a little.
Here's my Seth WIP next to the textured MediaVPS' Seth:

I've tried to respect the textures while taking some liberties.
This is my first serious model. The total tris count is around 8.8k but 2.5k are due to the green areas. I've made this areas over-detailed for future baking processes, but they will get simplified. The overall hull may get a similar treatment.
I would like to know whether it is better to keep the hull plates modeled or if it is better to just bake the normals and keep the model simpler.
I hope you like it.

The Dagger
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 03:54:41 am by The Dagger »

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Holy ship. :eek:
Looks awesome so far.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
I'm definitely impressed.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Secondly, I started up with Blender a while ago as a hobby. Finally, I've decided it's time to cheap in a little.

Cheap?  It's not cheap.  It's quite good, actually.
Yeah, I know, he meant "chip".
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Very nice. Good work! :yes: I don't have any specific feedback right now, I'll try to give the images a good once over this weekend.

Oh, actually, It might be interesting to try and incorporate the Vasudan cockpit model.. I'm sure I've got that lying around somewhere...
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Kolgena

Looks really good, and stays very faithful to the source material.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
And now with -trans textures he won't have to worry about dealing with the total pain in the ass that used to be setting up hierarchy for a cockpit.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown

It's so nice seeing more Vasudan love put into FSU after the huge wave of Shivan awesomeness (and the fact that we got all of the hulking lowpoly Terran ships such as the Arcadia and Colly out of the way).

Excellent work, no complaints thusfar.  I especially like the apparent "scaly" look you've achieved, it's almost perfectly in line with the original, and the artistic liberties you took are exactly how I'd imagine this ship.
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
This model is seriously awesome. I really love how you've used the retail textures to give it extra detail without playing it too safe. :yes:

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Fully agreed with Snail. By the way, is your glow maps off? Just want to make sure you know that the Seth has some blues in it in case it affects how you would incorporate it to your model or in case you end up texturing it.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
That looks fantastic!
el hombre vicio...

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Dear lord it's sexy. I love the GVF Seth, and I wondering when it was going to get upgraded for the mediaVPs.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Fully agreed with Snail. By the way, is your glow maps off? Just want to make sure you know that the Seth has some blues in it in case it affects how you would incorporate it to your model or in case you end up texturing it.
You realize that glows are a MVP addition, right ? If one wants to base himself on the pure retail Seth, it's his call.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Well the retail Seth did have blue bits, but they didn't glow (obviously).

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Lookin' good. :yes:

(I never noticed before how much of its general shape the Tauret owes to the back end of the Seth.)

*snip*

Best first post of the year! I like how you're incorporating the texture features into the new model, it's working out really nicely (I'm especially digging those intake grids on top :) ).
- About the hull plates, I think it would be best to bake them into the normals, that should save quite on a few polies.
- Furthermore, I'd suggest making the top gun barrels a little fatter; they seem almost frail right now.
- Another nice touch would be if you make those 'flaps' on the back a separate subobject, so they can rotate on afterburner like on the MVP Horus.

Overall, nice work, and a warm...
:welcome:

You realize that glows are a MVP addition, right ? If one wants to base himself on the pure retail Seth, it's his call.

Note that the WIP is shown next to the MVP-textured model, that's not the pure retail Seth :P

(I never noticed before how much of its general shape the Tauret owes to the back end of the Seth.)

Wow, yeah, now that you mention it... Can't unsee dammit!

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
Now that's what I call a debut ;)

Great work! I love the Seth and am glad to see that it get's the love it deserves.
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
- About the hull plates, I think it would be best to bake them into the normals, that should save quite on a few polies.

Being that the mesh is only 8.8k with roughly a quarter of that centralized in 4 small areas, I would say he is not hurting on his poly budget.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Considering your poly budget, I would agree that leaving the modelled panels and grooves is entirely appropriate, but understand that the visual difference between actual modelling those and normal mapping those will be present, but minimal.

Also, #1 tip: Be self sufficient. Know how to UV and texture it yourself. Way too many meshes get completed and then come to a halt because the modeller tries to get someone else to finish it for them, and that someone else seldom wants to see it completed as badly as the person who started it.

Also, use IRC and hop on irc.esper.net and join #scp-fsu. We can be very helpful :)
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.