Author Topic: Seth [RELEASED]  (Read 39106 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
FYI, using PCS2 you can import the subsystem and firing point data from the retail Seth.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
@Hellstricker:
The top/back is as it always was. I don't find it bad, I think it makes a nice contrast with the scaled parts.
About the glows, I've tried to use pure blue, but I don't like how the baked glow looks over the maroon areas. When you have the diffuse + shine + glow it looks a little purple, and I don't like it. So, finally, I've taken the hue that I think does the better overall job: 0,77,212. Of course, that's a matter of personal taste.

@mjn.mixael:
I'm placing them manually to learn the process and because I guess some points may have move (I tried to keep the mesh very close to the original but I don't think it's an exact copy).
I have a question although, I've found that it's possible to set a convergence point for missile and gun banks. Is there a recommended convergence distance? If not, I think I'll make them all converge at 500 m in front of the eyepoint.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If the retail ship didn't have convergence, then the htl version shouldn't either

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Ok, I think this is the best I can do: Time to get back to the community!

I think the model is finished, but it needs proper testing, so I've passed the ball to the FSU team.
For those of you who just won't wait to have the fully tested and glitch corrected version from the FSU, you can get my final version here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?bbz66j033i4ua7n

Disclaimer:
I haven't test the model extensively. I tryed to keep it as close to the original as possible but that's all.

Download includes:
- model
- all the textures needed
- table for a Horus-style flap move on afterburner

Hope you enjoy it!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 04:13:12 pm by The Dagger »

Offline Kolgena

It looks fantastic in-game.

Couple points:

Rotating flaps look quite fugly to me. Sorry. It'd be better if it only rotated 30-45 degrees instead of the full 90. They look like airbrakes deploying right now.

Glass shine map needs to be toned way down, and the environment map toned way up to be in line with glass on other ships. Disregard this. It's the normal map contributing way too much shine with my specific lighting settings. However, I did like the look (on my local end) when I made RGB and A of the trans-shine white to emphasize environment/cube mapping on the glass.

LOD2, 3, and debris don't have specular maps. It'd be nice if at least the debris did.

0 other complaints. Maybe use 3 thruster points instead of 2 to better fit the engine exhaust port? That's more of a minor naggle though.

Congratulations on releasing such a fantastic upgrade.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 01:45:08 pm by Kolgena »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Lods 2 and 3 never use shine maps. Ever.

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships

Just as a comment, all lods share the same textures.

I agree with flaps rotation looking a little over the top. These flaps are bigger than the Horus' so, the effect is more noticeable. However, I think it only makes sense to have it at 90 degrees. If not, it would point slightly upward or downward, making us think it's making the ship go up or down.

In any case, the real reason behind it all is that the flaps position is used to shield the rest of the ship from the over-energetic particles spewed by the engines at afterburner power. And they won't slow the ships 'cause there's no friction in space. And since the AB is stronger on the Seth, so are his flaps.  :nervous:

Finally, I used two engine exhaust 'cause that's what's on retail. Maybe I should change that...

Offline Kolgena

Dat fighter.

(Took the liberty of modifying the glass specular/environment mapping, and the flaps only rotating to 30 degrees. Hope you don't mind :nervous:)

Edit: I just realized: When the flaps rotate to 90, I didn't check if they would protrude from the shield mesh. Also, they would drastically increase forward/backward target profile, wouldn't they?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 02:20:50 pm by Kolgena »

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Wow, that looks shiny!

Ok, here's what I'll do. I'll change the angle to 30 degrees. And I'll make the shield cover it when it turns (I checked and it doesn't right now, good catch!)

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
  • maveric modeler, the sky is just the begining
hmm I may need to ask you guys for texturing help on the sekhmet, if I ever manage to finish it, I am no where near that good, you did an amazing job dagger

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Ok, version 2 is out, with flaps angle reduced and shields actually protecting them:

http://www.mediafire.com/?1c0wd0l428u5bq6

@mandobardanjusik:
I'd like to help you. Once your model is finished you can send it to me and I see what I can do. But remember this was my first texture. There are better texturers out there.
And a little advice: no one will want your model finished as bad as you, so try doing it yourself. Texturing takes patience but I ended up enjoying it. You just have to keep going.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 04:12:36 pm by The Dagger »

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
  • maveric modeler, the sky is just the begining
well say that to my 20 other attempted textures :(, but I will take you up gladly, and also I am still trying to figure out the design on the sekhmet, its much more... abstract than yours

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Bumping for update: now with baked pilot and glowmaps.
Download from Mediafire