Author Topic: Serapis [RELEASED]  (Read 20297 times)

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Release post:
Download from Mediafire
Corrected SerapisGlass-trans-shine:
Download from Mediafire

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original post:

Those who hang on IRC must have seen it already, but for those who don't, I'm working on the Serapis.

So, what do you think?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 03:00:40 pm by The Dagger »

Me gusta :)
Just like your previous models

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Awesome engine detailing.
I hope that doesn't spin, cause if it does I'll ruin my pants everytime I see it.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
It looks as if it was.. badass!  :lol:
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Luis Dias

this game is getting more and more beautiful! Great modelling fu there, Dagger! :yes:

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
power level: infinite
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Nice one dagger, looking forward to seeing this one develop
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Those engine details are sexy as hell.  I always thought the original design looked pretty stupid with the squished-in cockpit area, but this flows way better already.

Offline Kolgena

Those engine details are gorgeous.

Have you considered adding more detail to the bottom of the medial triplets of "wing guns"? The retail textures suggest some sort of exposed greebling that could be played with to look more interesting than the smooth plates and clean holes you have now.

Another nitpick/point to consider is that the leading edges of the wings could be more streamlined in both profile and their cross-section. While the retail serapis has no polies in it whatsoever, the shape of the front of the wings does give a lighter feel. Right now they look a tiny bit too clumsy on the WIPrather than sharp/sleek.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 10:45:33 pm by Kolgena »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Holy ship; that is a sexy beast.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
I'm glad you liked it guys!  :)

Have you considered adding more detail to the bottom of the medial triplets of "wing guns"? The retail textures suggest some sort of exposed greebling that could be played with to look more interesting than the smooth plates and clean holes you have now.

I did try at first to put something there and the problem is that it breaks the flow. It looks odd to me, that's why I extended the plate section up to the front.

Another nitpick/point to consider is that the leading edges of the wings could be more streamlined in both profile and their cross-section. While the retail serapis has no polies in it whatsoever, the shape of the front of the wings does give a lighter feel. Right now they look a tiny bit too clumsy on the WIPrather than sharp/sleek.

I will see about this, cause the leading edge is indeed sharper in the original.

Offline Luis Dias

"liked" is an understatement. When I turn on the poly to see the vertices I am mesmerized how every single vertice seems to be placed in the most efficient place ever to create the overall shape. Really impressed with it!

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Well, I have to place my points wisely because those turbines have 2500 tris each (well... now they do, they had more than 8k tris at first). The model will sit around 20k tris, which is on the top of my budget.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
"liked" is an understatement. When I turn on the poly to see the vertices I am mesmerized how every single vertice seems to be placed in the most efficient place ever to create the overall shape. Really impressed with it!

TBH, the little tubes need to be nothing else than 6-sided simple tubes[5 would honestly do too]. In current shape they are quite an overkill, and the polycount is still not triangulated. I don't think you can even zoom enough in freespace to appreciate them. And, IMHO, they actually don't fit there and could be removed.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
If it is within the threshold of a fighter in the current year, I don't care how many polygons it has so long as it looks good and is optimized reasonably well. Since I'm no modeler nor an expert on polycount limits, I trust FSU to decide on that. Right now the Serapis looks amazing.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

TBH, the little tubes need to be nothing else than 6-sided simple tubes[5 would honestly do too]. In current shape they are quite an overkill, and the polycount is still not triangulated. I don't think you can even zoom enough in freespace to appreciate them. And, IMHO, they actually don't fit there and could be removed.

Buzzkill... 6 sided tubes is overkill in the other direction. 5 is even worse. This is not The Daggar's first rodeo at making workable fighter models, so let's leave the modelling technique advice to the modelling people. As for whether or not they fit there.. well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Additionally, I will add that extra detail that fits the poly budget is definitely welcomed by me for several reasons. Future proofing for one. Potential use in rendered cutscenes, anims or mainhalls is another.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Luis Dias

Future proofing for one. Potential use in rendered cutscenes, anims or mainhalls is another.

Exactly. Do recall that Star Citizen ships allegedly run on over 300k polys.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
As someone who has looked at the actualy meshes, you can ditch the "allegedly" part :p
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Luis Dias

Ok, I was just trying to be precise in my testimony :)

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
I've updated the model with a cockpit, reduced the polycount and I'm UVmapping it... Should be ready for texturing next week or so.