Author Topic: If TBP could have new effects, what would you want to see?  (Read 59288 times)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Re: If TBP could have new effects, what would you want to see?
Well the Drazi capship weapons really needed some attention so they got it.

I remember me discussing with IPAndrews and I think Orph about this. That was before I fredded my first campaign :-)
I was banned for a week...
What. :blah:

Online wesp5

Regarding weapon projectiles and colors of weapons not shown in the show, like the Brakiri. As long as FI was making the effects, I think I noticed a connection between races and colors of their weapons. Like Minbari green for capital ships and fighters. Centauri yellow for capital ships and fighters, beams not seen. EA and Narn red or blue for fighters and capital ships. Streib and Drakh dark blue. So one has to extrapolate from what was shown.

Offline Slasher

Still, I'd prefer yellow shots for the pluses guns as well.
These shots are clearly yellow (with a tint of white) for me when I watch that episode :-)
"Fall of Centauri Prime" also shows the Drazi firing their pulse guns, and it might be my monitor but the effect still looks green.  Can anyone find/acquire better caps?

On a trailer for TBP's Earth-Brakiri War however, their weapons were red instead.

They are in game (and use the EA weapons). If you change their beams, I'd really like you to make them yellow as well.
"Green" is strong, Minbari/Vorlon style. Blue beams are not really present in the show. Yellow seems a good choice, for it is used by the weaker Drazi a lot and the League shares weapons.

I think yellow is a good idea for the Brakiri beams too, given an apparent dearth of source material.  I figure anything is better than Earth/Narn's signature red lasers.  Wow, do the brave Brakiri not even fire a single shot during the show??? 

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Wow, do the brave Brakiri not even fire a single shot during the show??? 
I don't believe they do. I looked at every battle scene I could find with Aviokis and they're just...there.

Online wesp5

"Fall of Centauri Prime" also shows the Drazi firing their pulse guns, and it might be my monitor but the effect still looks green.  Can anyone find/acquire better caps?

Isn't that fifth season after FI was out? I wouldn't really rely on anything done by ND, remember the Centauri Primus flying backwards in Sleeping in Light? They surely hardly knew what they were doing.

They are in game (and use the EA weapons). If you change their beams, I'd really like you to make them yellow as well.
"Green" is strong, Minbari/Vorlon style. Blue beams are not really present in the show. Yellow seems a good choice, for it is used by the weaker Drazi a lot and the League shares weapons.

I agree with the above. Green is Minbari/Vorlon strong. Violet/blue is Shadow/Drakh/Streib strong. Yellow is League/Centauri technological middle ground. Red is EA and Narn technological low end.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Those new Drazi guns look good... and if I recall it correctly they are very much in line with Drazi fighter gun (which is yellow)

I remember me discussing with IPAndrews and I think Orph about this. That was before I fredded my first campaign :-)

I don't recall that conversation... and I never was in a position to ban people...
But this is not the time and place to discuss this ---
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
If I remember correctly both the Drazi and Brakiri bought and sold weapons and ships from/to whoever they could.  It's highly likely they fired several types/colors of weapons. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline den5

It is better? Also found Aviokis firing.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
EA-like red beams and nondescript white blobs. Similar to what we have in TBP (though TBP blobs are yellow), but still worth improving.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
OK i re watched that ep online and their is definitely a hint of green in the Drazi pulse weapons. They are 100% greeny/yellow to me. Also the beam weapons are very yellow, almost Vasudan yellow to me, not the orange colour they are at the mo.

Your joking, you got banned for suggesting changes to make the weapons more screen correct?
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
He was talking to IPA, so I guess that could happen, given how he reacted to people taking assets from TBP.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Your joking, you got banned for suggesting changes to make the weapons more screen correct?

I am already regreting that I mentioned this :-(  The answer is yes. And it is past. Me and FUBAR are the project leaders / carekeepers of TBP now and that's the end of the story.

BACK TO TOPIC, let's discuss these cool new effects and ships.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
That's what ussualy happens when a popular thread is going without new screens/progress updates for a while.  :)
As for Drazi, I prefer a more yellow-ish pulse gun, though that's only my personal preference, as I haven't seen the show (I plan to do that though, but I never got around to it).

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Perhaps we could use them both.  The yellow pulse for the Firehawks and the green pulse for the Sunhawks.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Good idea. I forgot that as of Zatharas, there are two.

Offline -Norbert-

Ah there we go.
I took some (bad quality I'm afraid - the better quality ones that I_E_Maverick posted, are no longer there) screencaps of the white brakiri blobs a long time ago and posted them here http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=34453.msg712750#msg712750
Actually I was afraid it happened back before TBP moved to HLP, but luckily it wasn't THAT far back.
For those who want to see it for themselfs, the screens were taken from "Into the Fire" just after the Xill (I think it's a Xill... the Vree saucer) blasts some fighters after Lyta commented on the Shadows being pissed (Good morning gentlemen, this is your wakeup call!).

How nice of ImageShack to keep pictures for six years (if I had waited till tomorrow it would even be the exact 6th anniversary of that linked post :lol: )

Offline Slasher

Thanks for the source material, den5 and Nobert among others.  I'm glad you guys have keen eyes because I probably never would have caught that stuff. 

Since the last update I've mainly adjusted the brightness of effects I've already worked on.  I'm going to refocus on those now, but over the interlude I experimented with some of the other stuff the SCP team has cranked out. 

We can now pull off a believable Shadow fade effect thanks to Valathil's coding efforts.  Additional thanks goes to The E for helping to get this running in TBP.  Side note: ignore the old fade-in effect and me flying into the beam, the new effect only happens just before the video ends: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcwoMS4AcoE

emi_100 was working on normal maps for TBP ships but there haven't been updates on that front for quite some time. :(  I experimented with it over the last couple of days.  I tried working with the Omega's habitation section since that seemed like an easy one (heh).  This is my first try at it so forgive me if it doesn't look very professional.  Yes, I'm aware there's a weird seam going down the front due to the way it got UV mapped.  Hopefully that's not too hard to fix.  :confused:
Old version (pic from earlier in the thread):

New version:

« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 04:28:56 am by Slasher »

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
That shadow effect is a massive improvement, though I think that it could stand to be a bit quicker.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Maybe you could tyr contacting Emi100 about normal maps. Maybe he still has them.

Online Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
*coughdontwasteyourtimewiththatomegatherearethingsinprogrescough*
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea