Author Topic: Theseus CO  (Read 3099 times)

Offline Snarks

Spoiler related discussion

Just a small critique, but why was the Theseus CO not given a name during the campaign? While I understand that callsigns are used during missions, I'd imagine the commander of the Theseus would be known by everyone on the crew. There are also quite a few segments where pilots speak more freely, where the commander's name could have been mentioned. The lack of a name especially during the Theseus' last moment made the ship felt distant instead of being a sort of last remnant of a home. I suppose an alternative way of looking at this is if giving the CO a name would have been detrimental to the narrative.

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
Is the voice we hear even the CO or is it the CAG?
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

We always hear the CAG (though she's referred to as "actual" in the tutorial missions, which might be a typo? Is there a circumstance where a CAG can be called "actual"? Maybe the commander and CAG both have similar-sounding voices?)

When I did the briefing cutscenes, the lack of a commander actually came up. I coined the name "N. Sandall" for a screen in the first tutorial's briefing, where we see a letter from Dr. Baltar to the commander of the Theseus talking about what an honor it is for them to be doing QA testing.

So, there's a last name and a first initial, in a blink-and-miss-it moment. I wanted to keep it open-ended in case we ever revisited the Theseus and mentioned the CO, so it could be a man or a woman, young or old, soft-touch or hard-ass. At the moment, though, that's all.

That reminds me, Diaspora's briefing cutscenes were absolutely amazing. Sterling work there.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
That reminds me, Diaspora's briefing cutscenes were absolutely amazing. Sterling work there.
I don't think this can ever be said enough. :yes:
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Aw, you'll make me blush. ;)

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
We always hear the CAG (though she's referred to as "actual" in the tutorial missions, which might be a typo? Is there a circumstance where a CAG can be called "actual"? Maybe the commander and CAG both have similar-sounding voices?)

When I did the briefing cutscenes, the lack of a commander actually came up. I coined the name "N. Sandall" for a screen in the first tutorial's briefing, where we see a letter from Dr. Baltar to the commander of the Theseus talking about what an honor it is for them to be doing QA testing.

So, there's a last name and a first initial, in a blink-and-miss-it moment. I wanted to keep it open-ended in case we ever revisited the Theseus and mentioned the CO, so it could be a man or a woman, young or old, soft-touch or hard-ass. At the moment, though, that's all.

The CAG is Anita Zhou, the "actual" in the tutorial is following when Galactica does "Galactica actual."

The XO in the notes is Camille "Flask" Horseley, but I believe Flask is used as a generic pilot callsign now. Horseley and Zhou were originally a bit antagonistic towards each other.

The actual CO we never outlined since ideally as a pilot you're only dealing with the CAG and XO.

So N. Sandall is the CO, s/he is a cipher!
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock