Author Topic: Updated Cruiser and Corvette for Friday viewing  (Read 4265 times)

Updated Cruiser and Corvette for Friday viewing
These ships I found and used in the past I liked and used them in my own missions I created when I played FS2 nearly daily. Now that I have been doing 3D modeling for fun, I brought them up and gave them my spin on detailing.

All are still WIP and only reflect what I liked to do.

https://p3d.in/cL4tD

https://p3d.in/DWUVm

I have a third one, but not much done yet. :)

All the best,
Jadehawk
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: Updated Cruiser and Corvette for Friday viewing
I kind of like these better than what Aesar did with those designs (though since he didn't really redesign them, I'm not 100% yet). :) Great work, keep it up. I see you've got two of the three corvettes done, but what's the 3rd one? Startcomm made quite a few ships, which were great designs, but his models are quite old by now. Aesar "remade" them for Blue Planet, but aside from those two, he really made a whole new line of designs which superficially resemble the old ones.

Thanks! I decided to concentrate on the design aspect for awhile so that I get a good "feel" for FS2 ship design. Once I do, then I'll proceed to the next step. I'll post the third one tonight before I head to bed.

All the best,
Jadehawk

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You should check out Aesaar's pretty badass and gorgeous remakes/retextures of these ships. The extended necks on your ships are an interesting take.

e: http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/GTCv_Chimera

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/GTCv_Bellerophon

As promised, here is the third cruiser.

https://p3d.in/ghvZ2

Wow! He really did an awesome job on them ships! I like what he did, looks like hard cold steel ready to bash in some poor Shivans! :)

All the best,
Jadehawk

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
This one might please those who wanted an upgraded version of the Hyperion (rather than a completely new design which is basically a different ship using the same name).
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It very much does. :) Wonderful job. Aesar was completely unable to do anything with this design, so he made a new design and called it a Hyperion replacement. You managed to keep the original shape while improving quality.

I'm not sure of the third beam is a good idea. It's not a bad addition, but I'd like to have a version with just two forward beams.

BTW, if you're doing Stratcomm's corvettes and cruisers, could you check out GTMf Sparta (a.k.a. Diomedes)? It's a peculiar design that is equipped with a fighterbay. Aesar did a passable job at it (well, it still resembles the original somewhat), but did cut out many unique features.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I want to see this revised Hyperion alive and kicking shivan asses, and I was never a fan of Aesaar's Hyperion. Also I have some ideas how to add some beauty to your Hyperion.

What do you think about some small collab :)?
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

As promised, here is the third cruiser.

https://p3d.in/ghvZ2

Wow! He really did an awesome job on them ships! I like what he did, looks like hard cold steel ready to bash in some poor Shivans! :)

All the best,
Jadehawk

EXACTLY what I was hoping/looking for. I like the design of this original Hyperion so seeing it return in such high detailed glory makes me very happy. It is also good to see the beam emplacements more on the front as well like that. It does seem like the turrets could be replaced by Aesaar's new version or just a little more highly detailed is also fine. Three beams on the front is fine for me.

Like the others mentioned, I would also like the Sparta to get a good look at it. However, a much overlooked Strattcomm design is the Phoenix ( http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/GTCa_Phoenix ), although I'm sure working on that design could require a great deal of inspiration and ingenuity.

Your remade Chimera and Bellerophon also look great. I think I could consider them variations on the design, such as produced by a different shipyard.

First things first though, or you'd never get your models actually finished!
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Thanks fellas! The third beam is a separate solid and can be removed in 2 seconds. :)

Believe it or not, all these are still a WIP. So comments on additions or critical comments are welcomed. :)

Jadehawk

Whew! what a weekend! Have some time to review the comments and all that. My apologies for not getting back in a timely manner! But it is Father's day and YES I am a proud dad of two daughters (22 and 25 YO)

Betrayal, sure bud, shoot me a message and see what we can do. Keep in mind, cant audio conversation.

it just amazes me how much this community can create something completely different from the same basic model, yet look great while doing so. :)

Maybe we should have a friendly contest where anyone can take the same model (provided from one source so it's the same one) and use their creativity to make a more detailed model. Simple rules, must be the same basic shape! :)

All the best,
Jadehawk

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Cool. I'd love to see Stratcomm's fleet updated, at least complement those counterparts on Blue Planet and Shattered Stars.

What about the Raynor and the Sparta?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Raynor yes, have my eye on that one as well. :)

Sparta, I'll have to dig that one up and have a look-see.

All the best,
Jadehawk

Currently working on the Raynor update. ;) Will post in several days when it's ready to show something.

All the best,
Jadehawk

Currently working on the Raynor update. ;) Will post in several days when it's ready to show something.

All the best,
Jadehawk

Sounds good! I wonder if it'll look distinct enough from the Erebus so that both ships could fit the same universes, perhaps with a little backstory and explanation. I've been eyeing the Raynor a few times to see if I could still make it exist alongside the Erebus, so far that hasn't worked out due to the similarities so maybe your take of the Raynor will allow that to happen!
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Thanks for the interest! :)

Currently, it's a bit longer and a bit more beefy in the center of the ship. I added a central tunnel like structure between the open areas you see on the model. Plus I deleted the top fin like structure and added a more ship like bridge command  structure. The engines are also updated and detailed. In making the ship longer, I did this to add "balance" into the ship as I felt the mid and rear structures were a bit too small compared to the front pointed one.

I'll post an 3D model later today.

All the best,
Jadehawk

Offline crizza

It very much does. :) Wonderful job. Aesar was completely unable to do anything with this design, so he made a new design and called it a Hyperion replacement. You managed to keep the original shape while improving quality.

I'm not sure of the third beam is a good idea. It's not a bad addition, but I'd like to have a version with just two forward beams.

BTW, if you're doing Stratcomm's corvettes and cruisers, could you check out GTMf Sparta (a.k.a. Diomedes)? It's a peculiar design that is equipped with a fighterbay. Aesar did a passable job at it (well, it still resembles the original somewhat), but did cut out many unique features.

I beg to differ.
Aesaar simply didn't like their design, so he made something new, the BP Team liked.

Great work Jadehawk.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
And don't forget, regarding the Raynor, it must be entirely different from the Shattered Stars universe.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

And don't forget, regarding the Raynor, it must be entirely different from the Shattered Stars universe.
What the **** does that have to do with anything ?

Offline Luis Dias

I very much like this Hyperion (sorry Aesaar, your version also rocks... it's just not an hyperion!!), and I very much like your fleet. Thumbs up, great work :yes: