Author Topic: Weird Geometry Glitch  (Read 2226 times)

Offline Deora11

Weird Geometry Glitch
Still rolling down the learning curve, nice and peaceful, than BAM!, another problem. If I could direct your vision below please.

For some reason, my Kiama class and now my Townsville class (pictured above) contain this annoying glitch which ONLY takes place within the Freespace 2 engine. Doesn't appear in Blender nor in the POF constructor suite, however it shows both ingame and in FRED. I can't collide with it, and its like a normal face textured on one side.

For addition info, the ship was built in Google Sketchup, and transferred over with an LWO exporter, to which I import it to Blender.

Anyone know of this problem? Its really hindering my work.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Weird Geometry Glitch
Open the model in PCS2. Go through the subobject tree and look at the number of vertices, there's a hard limit of 65536 vertices per subobject that you absolutely must stay under.

Should that not be the cause of the glitches, please post the pof file here so that we can properly debug this.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Deora11

Both ships seem fine for the vertices count. I'm providing the Kiama's POF, plus its 3 BASIC textures. Simply load it into FRED and you'll find the glitches (provided it doesn't want to make a liar out of me).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h0skwuny03a363l/AABMDiNd180iR-JpsvWOaEmOa?dl=0

Hope the link works.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'll check it out as soon as possible. Meanwhile, what sort of GPU are you using? Which driver version? What are your commandline settings for FSO?

Offline Deora11

GPU:   AMD Radeon R7 200 Series
Driver version:   atiumdag / 14.501.1003.0

That's what ASUS GPUTweak says

commandline:   C:\Games\Blue Planet\fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151104_5676dbf.exe -mod bpcomplete,mediavps_2014 -3dshockwave
-post_process -soft_particles -fxaa -disable_shadows -ship_choice_3d -weapon_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash
-fullscreen_window -ambient_factor 90 -spec_exp 0.7 -spec_tube 1.0 -spec_point 0.7 -spec_static 1.0 -ogl_spec 15
-bloom_intensity 20 -res 1440x900 -mod Space Rocks

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Does the error still appear on the 3.7.4 RC2 build?

Offline Deora11

Indeed it does.

Offline Deora11

Going around clicking every button I can, I noticed that clicking the 'no culling" feature in the games 3d viewer creates more of these little glitches. I don't know what this feature does, however it could help in troubleshooting.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Is this a model you made? Off the top, to me it looks like stray edges or screwed up normals. Possibly things that could have gotten messed with during conversion to DAE.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Deora11

Yes, I made it from scratch. The thing is, in blender there are no stray edges. I also used a plugin for sketchup which erases stray edges. If it gets messed up with the conversion to DAE, wouldn't it show up in PCS2 before I'm converting to pof?

Another kicker is that the main hull of the kiama is actually a mirror modifier, however the glitch happens assymmetrically.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 08:44:41 am by Deora11 »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
PCS2's pof exporter may have a previously undiscovered bug, that possibility should not be discounted.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
General surgeon warning:
Don't use boolean, when you don't know how to use it properly :P

I have no idea how many buggy internal faces I removed. I may say only "a lot" and "way too much" :D. With a lot of geometry bugs, engine wasn't able to generate cache files correctly.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/tcuw2180cfgi6yh/kiama_Fixed.blend

I'm also sorry for mapping. It could not be done other way. You will probably have to redo the UVs. I also reducted polycount a little bit, and resmoothed it.

Remember: ALWAYS use Ctrl + Shift + Alt + M in Blender before you start mapping process. It will show you all non magnifold and probably buggy places all across your mesh. Only central axis of the ship and places where non-magnifold details are poking out from the hull [DETAILZ subobject] can be marked as non-magnifold.

EDIT: Feel free to PM me if you have any difficulties. I'm always open to help.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 06:48:03 pm by Betrayal »
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.