Author Topic: My 3D Models avliable for use  (Read 2223 times)

My 3D Models avliable for use
Hi folks,
As some wonder, when will I complete something? The question is, I have no idea.

I know many like and are waiting for these 3D models to be completed for game use. So, if any of you wish to complete any of my 3D models, AT LEAST UV map them so I can get a copy of the UV map, please say so here. But please do not ask for them just for the sake of having them and not making any plans to complete them off as I really would do this ONLY if you are serious about completing them. I have learned much from you guys and feel I should give back somehow and this is one way.

Thanks to everyone who helped me get where I am today :)

All the best,
Jadehawk
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: My 3D Models avliable for use
This has been on my mind for a while now but I didn't really felt like hijacking one of your model threads.
Very few of the many models I've seen from you look like they are at all ready for uvmapping or ingame use. I'm not sure why nobody else seems to mention this, but your models all suffer from the same thing: super high poly small localized area's and then 90% of the model having not any kind of detailing at all (also, bad smoothing). The result is that most of your models don't actually end up looking very good, because all the polygons go into detailing you won't end up looking at ingame.

Take your Deneb for example
A massive 40k faces/59k vertices and it's all into tiny little ribble details inside the thrusters. The area that is covered by a thruster glow.
But look at the rest of the ship... there is barely anything to it.

If you are designing models for games or freespace (which I assume you are here), you have to be responsible with polygons and add them where they matter. The overal shape and form of the ship is infinitely more important than 10000 polygons inside a button turret.

My challenge to you would be: design and make a capitalship with turrets and everything, and finish it with a 40-50k polygon budget. And then, uv unwrap the thing.
You are only going to be learning bad modelling habits by moving from one unfinished model to the next. Going through the tedious process of UVW at least once is important too, it'll teach you what a pain in the ass it is to do it with tiny high polygon sections.

The people that want to see these models ingame are waiting for you to do it. If we had a whole bunch of modellers with spare time around (we don't.) they'd most likely be making their own ships, not finish yours for you.

And secondly, why do you always manually sign your posts with "All the best, Jadehawk"  :confused:
I mean, we can read your name to the left of your post. We know its your post. And forums have signatures for a reason. You could just... put it in there.

All the best,
Spoon
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I will have to second what spoon says. UV mapping is a huge bore. I try to avoid it at all costs is possible, and if not try to make the process as painless as possible by building things in particular ways to make UV mapping more convenient.

The people that want to see these models ingame are waiting for you to do it. If we had a whole bunch of modellers with spare time around (we don't.) they'd most likely be making their own ships, not finish yours for you.

Emphasis on this.
Actually try finishing (read: textured, turreted, tabled, working, and in-game) something before starting 90 million WiPs, because I think that's the worst habit of them all if you're serious about making game assets rather than just casual dabbling in 3d modelling.
It's far more exciting to see one thing gradually get towards completion than to see a bunch of different things get started and partway. From experience, every time the latter happens, vanishingly small amounts reach completion. It's unfortunate, but true - Of course its more fun just to start a new model whenever you hit a roadblock in the current one: "UV mapping is a pain! I'll do it later, let's just start on a different model!" ...And then nothing was completed ever again.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

All points taken and thanks for that :) I DID post a response to this just 5 min ago....but it's gone. Humm. User error me thinks :)

I do have one model in mind to complete first. It's the Stealth Recon fighter. I think it's simple enough to complete and get out the door.

Thanks to you both for this honestly! :)

Jadehawk

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
First off, I think the guys above are right. One model taken to completion, even through the slog of UV mapping, LoDding, making debris etc. - all the boring bits - is both extremely satisfying and infinitely more useful to the community than a thousand half finished untextured LoD 0s. It's also really cool to see your models used in other projects, which is almost certainly not going to happen unless they're finished. I'm a long, long way from the best modeller or texturer here, but I see my stuff bring used pretty regularly, in large part I think because I (eventually) finish a pretty decent majority of the projects that I start. That makes an enormous difference. It's good to see that you have one ship you want to continue with, is that the stealth ship based on the Icarus?

One point I would make that you might want to think about is that approaching things like this in this particular manner might not be the most productive way to go about it. Asking people to contact you for models, putting minimum restrictions on what they must do with them... to me, it reads a bit like asking people to do all the boring work for you. That's very unlikely to get you where you want to be. In the past, people in a similar boat to you have done model dumps, where they put their ships out there for whoever wants them to do whatever they want with them. That method has resulted in some ships being finished which might never have otherwise seen the light of day. It's far from guaranteed, of course, but I do think you'll have better odds with that more public approach than the one you're taking, as it eliminates that sense of obligation, which might prevent people from starting.

Just a thought, anyway.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Hey Fellas,
I think there is a misconception about this thread here. I am not asking for you folks to complete my 3D models. I’ll do that thank you 
What this thread is about is for anyone who cannot wait for when I’ll get these models completed and want them NOW, then yes, I’ll be happy to let you do so. That’s all.
You see, I am well aware that I have much more to learn and I’ll learn at my own pace and when I feel I am ready to get to the next level, I will. For the folks who have helped me in the past, I am thankful for your time and help!
As said in the previous thread, I’ll do the Advance Recon Fighter as it seems pretty simple to complete with maybe the Vasudan Transport I just did as it too seems simple to do.
All the best,
Jadehawk