Author Topic: War in Heaven Voice Acting — VICTORY IS LIFE!  (Read 114003 times)

Offline DPO

Re: War in Heaven Voice Acting Death March
I meant for getting Act III started while I and II is finished up, General :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I know. But I don't think we can afford to start on that. With our current production budget (not just money - it's more about manpower and attention!) we'd kill any chance of Act 4-5 being released if we tried to voice Act 3 right now. I know you want to help! I'm really grateful. But our experience with voice work in the past has been that it mostly ends up falling back on me.

And in any case, the new Dreamscape tutorials for act 3 missions mean the script is still growing.  :shaking:

Offline DPO

Okay.  How done is the script for Act IV, by the way?

Offline Aesaar

Barely started.

Offline DPO

Okay, good to know.

I'm still thinking of the idea of releasing an alpha voice pack to help with some of the remaining work.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
As a gift to myself for getting the novel out, I'm going to spend this upcoming week trying to finish the voice acting.

Anyone who wants to come hang out on IRC starting tomorrow is very welcome!

This project is really important to me and I want to finish the last push. I'm excited to show you the new Vishnan guns, the Dreamscape tutorials, and the other fun stuff. I don't think Atreus Command will make the cut :(

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
This is going to be a little messy. We are missing a scattering of 20-30 lines scattered across various roles. I don't see a realistic alternative right now except to leave them unacted.

Crunching away on hopefully the last dreamscape tutorial tonight.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
This is going to be a little messy. We are missing a scattering of 20-30 lines scattered across various roles. I don't see a realistic alternative right now except to leave them unacted.
How did that happen? Were the lines just missed when compiling the script, or were they added afterwards, or is it just "voice actor didn't include the line and it wasn't noticed until now" (or some combination thereof)?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Some lines missed while compiling the mammoth script, some lines assigned to the wrong role, some lines just skipped by actors.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Battuta, send me a message, will ya? I'd be happy to belt out some lines if needed.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline QuakeIV

• test
Well that's vaguely horrifying.  I'd be willing to volunteer for slave labor over the next week or so until classes start up again, for what little its worth.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Needless to say, I'd be happy to re-record entire roles if need be (but I suspect that would just be more work on your part; if the initial release needs to be missing a couple dozen lines, then so be it).

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Honestly, I'd say it's best just to leave the lines not done for now. WiH will benefit hugely from a voice-acted release (I know people who won't touch WiH until it has voice acting) even if it's not perfect. This has been a mammoth undertaking with many issues along the way. And, when it comes to fan projects, getting a release in the first place is beneficial to being stuck in development hell. People will understand - and lines can always be patched in in today's day and age.

Even with a few missing lines here and there, it's not the end of the world. WiH is a product I'd be happy paying a lot of money for - so a few missing lines are more than acceptable in exchange for not paying a cent. Push through to a release and then patch things in when time permits (and when you can contact the actors, I imagine!) These things happen. It's unfortunate but they happen all the same. BP is a product that has been knocked together by volunteers and is one of the best sci-fi experiences in recent years with a level of professional polish and thought that just eclipses other projects - with that in mind, I really do think people would understand if there are some rough edges here and there, particularly given everything else you do, Battuta.

Releasing it with a note that, due to unforeseen circumstances, some lines have been lost would be my recommendation as a fan of BP. It's unfortunate, sure - but it's not like big games like Fallout don't have VAs switching mid-dialogue on some characters or lines that are missing. But I'd prefer a rough release to just watching WiH with VA perpetually linger like this, always just a little bit of time away from release.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 03:53:15 am by Azrael15 »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It's a tiny fraction of the script.

My current plan is to try to fix it anyway. (This is a change of heart from yesterday.) I'm going to reactivate the casting director we hired and reach out to actors I have on tap. It should only take a few emails, maybe some money, and meanwhile I can work on FRED ****.

If necessary we can recast small/midsized roles. I'd also be deeply grateful for volunteers to handle stupid tiny tasks for me. Believe it or not, most of the bottleneck here is cognitive: it's a nightmare keeping track of all the scripts, files, filters, actors, and errors required to fix everything.

Could someone grab me the script for the GTCv Arethusa and post it here?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
And I'm gonna live all the lines where Simms says 'VAW-soo-dons' and chalk it up to Martian accent.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Has this project taught you and the team any useful lessons about doing a massive voice-acting project (besides that it's hard)?

Do you plan to VA future chapters of WiH?
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
If anyone can track down 'Darkblade' I really need to get in touch.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
GTCv Arethusa

File: bp211s037.ogg
 GTCv Arethusa to Federation vessels. The Pesedjet is under our protection. Stand down your vessels and leave, or we will open fire.

File: bp211s040.ogg
 Don't make me laugh, Captain. Medical mission? This is clearly another attack on our logistics by a desperate military. Leave now, or suffer the consequences.

File: bp211s042.ogg
 Acknowledged, Pesedjet. We believe some Gaian Effort cells may be working for the Federation's black ops unit. This is likely an attempt on your ship.

File: bp211s044.ogg
 These records seem to check out, Captain Apries. But we've got bigger problems. Your ship's hull integrity is dropping fast. We need to deploy teams to help contain internal fires and lock down damage.

File: bp211s045.ogg
 Captain Sorenson, unless you want a firefight aboard a dying ship, withdraw at once. Your rescue efforts are neither welcome nor needed. We will use force if necessary.

File: bp211s051.ogg
 A little insurance policy, Captain Sorensen. You want to do things your way, fine. Help out the Vasudans, but no reinforcements.

File: bp211s056.ogg
 We've got repair technicians with heavy field equipment on board the Sampson. Standard procedure for answering a stricken vessel. You could learn from our example next time.

File: bp211s057.ogg
 And your transport carries only the barest medical facilities, Captain. If your engineers save the ship, we'll save the crew. Once the Pesedjet is out of danger...we'll work from there.

File: bp211s059.ogg
 Touche, Captain Sorensen. Here's my proposal. We stand down, and you do the same. We both pool our resources, fix up this Vasudan hauler, and then we go our separate ways.

File: bp211s060.ogg
 The Vasudans continue to help us supply, while you gain favour with Khonsu for when you negotiate the terms of your surrender.

Anybody know who darkblade is?

e: Actually I'm pretty much sure who it is now.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 03:30:48 pm by QuakeIV »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
I'd also be deeply grateful for volunteers to handle stupid tiny tasks for me. Believe it or not, most of the bottleneck here is cognitive: it's a nightmare keeping track of all the scripts, files, filters, actors, and errors required to fix everything.
If you can think of an automated script that could help keep track of something, I can probably write it.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
You know how to reach me if you need any help Seth, and you also know my voice is half decent if you need any small roles recast.