Author Topic: HLP Forum Re-kajiggering - Phase 1  (Read 32318 times)

Offline Axem

HLP Forum Re-kajiggering - Phase 1
Hello!

In case you haven't noticed, things have... changed a bit. Just a bit.

Let's go over them real quick so you know exactly what to complain about look for. :)

1. Boards moved and shuffled
There's some new boards, like the trio of release related boards. I'd heavily encourage anyone releasing something (a campaign, a ship, a script) to post it in the appropriate forum. The Missions & Campaigns Release board is the old Missions & Campaigns board right now, and the non-release threads will slowly get moved over to the "new" FRED Workshop board (its just the old FRED forum). And similarly the releases from the Modding and Scripting forums will slowly migrate over to their respective release boards.

Also all hosted projects are in more consolidated categories. Either Standalone, FS2 Required or Non-FreeSpace. The Fan Art forum got renamed Arts & Talents and moved down to Off Topic, and a few other smaller boards (Interviews and Voice Acting) got placed as a child to a related parent forum.

2. Expanded user profiles
There's now 3 new fields you can fill in on your user profile. They are there so you can list the campaigns, assets, scripts or anything else you want to keep around. They are fully bbcode enabled, so you can throw in images, p3ds, or auto-playing soviet anthems (actually maybe don't do that last one...). You can check out my profile to see how it looks. (Currently work in progress!)

3. Avatars (and some other tweaks)
Yes, they're finally here. You are free to upload and display an avatar of your choosing. But just to make things interesting, the graphical size limit is 150x60. The forum will resize it down if its larger than that. The only rules we'll have for avatars are no animation and must be in good taste (that is nothing X-rated or deliberately insulting/offensive). I think everyone on HLP is mature enough so we won't have any issues with that though.

Okay, one additional rule:
Badges that are normally given out by project leads or staff meant to show meaningful contribution to a project or to HLP itself, are not allowed in the avatar without permission. Even if you have totally good intentions, it can create confusion among those that may not be familiar that you are not actually part of the project or staff position.

If you don't like avatars or the prospect of a facist neo-libertarian communist with a cute cat girl avatar yelling at charming you, you can disable seeing avatars in the Look and Layout section of your user profile.

Also the user section of a post has been slightly rearranged. Badges are now under avatars, personal text is now above avatars, and post counts are hidden (though you can still see your post count on your forum profile!)

So let us know how you like the changes, what we could do to make them better, or what thing that needs to get changed back NOW.

And keep in mind this is just phase 1. We've got forum tags and image thumbnails coming up... hopefully soon (as soon as Goober figures out why they're not quite working now), and hopefully more fun stuff in the future (like the new site!)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 05:38:54 pm by Axem »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: HLP Forum Re-kajiggering - Phase 1
I fear change!

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
You shut your nerd mouth axem I have a BRILLIANT avatar
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline Axem

Just to give people a little bit of context to that avatar... :p (this was from like 2 months ago)

Code: [Select]
[19:43] <[`_`]> Axem do you have a blank copy of the hlp logo or something thats on a transparent background
[19:43] <[`_`]> i want to photoshop the supreme leader of iran onto it
[19:43] <@Axem> :|
[19:43] <@Axem> why...
[19:50] <[`_`]> look my first ever release had me dreaming of the supreme leader telling me it was ****
[19:51] <@Axem> do you have... meds youre not taking? :|
[19:51] <@Axem> i am genuinely concerned

Offline CKid

ok
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Had to fight Goober tooth and nail for it... worth it.

You shut your nerd mouth axem I have a BRILLIANT avatar

ok
Nice.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Axem

I just want to say Goober was supportive of the idea after all the points and posts were made in the end. I recognize that it can be hard to see long standing traditions change, so let's not drag anyone in the mud because of it.

(Keep the good avatars coming, people!)

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
Eh, this one is kinda bland, but I like it.
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Weird not to see the admin avatars anymore, but I'm sure I'll get used to it quickly enough.

I'm far more interested in seeing how/if the new forums get used, in particular the releases forum. For my part, I'm probably going to want to continue to put Frontlines ship releases into the Frontlines forum, since nobody seemed keen on the idea of merging project forums, but a double post link to the release thread is probably a good call. Will there be any drawing in of recent release threads to populate the new forum?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Axem

Yes, a double link in the forum will be fine. Or even just a thread that's just a link to your original release thread is fine too. Tomorrow I'll post the guidelines for using those forums.

But I will be organizing a sort of push to move as many release threads to the right forums. If anyone is interested in helping, post here or PM me! (This is sort of a first try at the HLP aide thing too). Hopefully we'll be able to get a good number of them so the forums are useful to people.

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
Now I can be the smug anime girl of my dreams on HLP. Or something like that.
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
This will take some time to get used to....

@Spoon:
STOP. LOOKING. AT. ME.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
it will for sure.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
THIS IS STRANGE AND CONFUSING
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
I thought today was going to be special!

Finally time for this little picture to shine....
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Quote from: JSRNerdo
i want to photoshop the supreme leader of iran onto it

Uh... I'm afraid you kinda got the wrong guy.

But maybe you changed your mind and the misleading quoting is just Axem's fault.

May my loved mech commander gold get an own forum section ? I offer myself as moderator. Have some ideas what I could do with it.

Regards RizZ

http://www.nogutsnogalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=4356.0
It has become appalingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.

Albert Einstein

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
May my loved mech commander gold get an own forum section ? I offer myself as moderator. Have some ideas what I could do with it.

Regards RizZ

http://www.nogutsnogalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=4356.0

I highly doubt that's a legal download.

MechCommander: Omnitech is already here.

And why is Hard Light Productions listed on that launcher? :wtf:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
I wonder if I should ask someone for a permission to use this.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I just want to say Goober was supportive of the idea after all the points and posts were made in the end. I recognize that it can be hard to see long standing traditions change, so let's not drag anyone in the mud because of it.

(Keep the good avatars coming, people!)
All I'm saying is that it's nice to see progress, change and improvement happening on hlp after years of (enforced) stagnation.

Now I can be the smug anime girl of my dreams on HLP. Or something like that.
I thought that was Lain, but it appears your conversion into the cult of the nep has been completed

This will take some time to get used to....

@Spoon:
STOP. LOOKING. AT. ME.
I am watching you post~
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them