Author Topic: GOOBER  (Read 41005 times)

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
I really wish I could email you hugs, Goober.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Yes, a shame you can't.

But you can brofist with him through internet alright.

Nice work Goob :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Virtual hugs and fist-bumps are accepted. :D

Are following features planned?
- Detecting if FS2 is installed to Program Files and move it to Games or another folder or user's choice?
- Detect GoG.com version and fix mve.
- Install OpenAL. I'm not sure which one is better choice, Creative's or Soft. But either way OpenAL32.dll can be dropped into FS2 dir, instead of system wide install.
- Install launcher. I still find it annoying that wxLauncher can't just be dropped into FS2 dir and have it work, like old launcher.
- Keeping all of above and mods up-to-date?

#1: Wasn't planned
#2: I looked at this, but this would involve copying all the MVE files since GOG looks in one place and FSO looks in another.  It might be better to have FSO look in both places.
#3: I think OpenAL is included as part of the FSO selection.
#4: The launcher is included as well.
#5: Assuming that projects provide updates, the Installer will keep updating them.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 10:27:10 am by Goober5000 »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
We really need an automatic fix movie location thing. I've seen so many people go through the game without realizing there are cutscenes.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Having the engine recognise the other location seems like a more sensible situation than moving them though.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
The red light and green light, is that hash verification of the downloads?  Or simply a file complete / download failed display?

Oh, and, where are my manners?  Props, Goober!  :)

/insert request for downloader support for FSO torrents.. :nervous: :shaking: :warp:

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
very well done!
what about the FSPort and Silent Threat Reborn - i think those should get a more prominent place than other mods, just as much as the mvps get
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
very well done!
what about the FSPort and Silent Threat Reborn - i think those should get a more prominent place than other mods, just as much as the mvps get

No thanks.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
That's not a terrible idea for the port, since it's, well, the port. STR, though...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The red light and green light, is that hash verification of the downloads?  Or simply a file complete / download failed display?

It's for success/failure.  A failed hash check is considered as a failed download.  (The download will be re-attempted in that case.)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I would like to just point out how damned lucky FS community is when it comes to mods. Certain people among us believe that installing FSO mods is so difficult.

Hah.

Just now I tried to get back into playing Skyrim and was looking for the "essential" mods to get the most fun out of the game. There's like a billion mods out there doing little thing, a lot of things and anything in between. More than anything I got confused as to what I should get and what I should avoid. Not to mention that some mods apparently can't work together. So I googled up several articles listing such essential mods, only few mods were common between all of them and so I kept digging. I stumbled upon Skyrim STEP project which is essentially a list of good mods that work together and don't go against Skyrim lore. So I figured this is exactly what I was looking for. Problem? Each and every mod has to be installed manually. And before that, you need several utilities to manage these mods properly. Now, assuming that we get utilities set, it's time to start getting these mods. My patience ran out somewhere after 2 or 3 hours and the list just kept going.

I ****ing gave up and uninstalled Skyrim. **** that ****. A game like Skyrim needs a package manager with support for dependencies, meta-packages and mod repository. Otherwise there's no managing this mess unless you invest significant amount of time messing with this **** instead of playing the goddamn game.

With FSO you just install mediavps and whatever mod you wish to play and you're good to go.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 03:25:37 am by Fury »

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Just because FSO is easier to install mods, doesn't mean there shouldn't be development on making the installation process easier for le dummies (myself included) :).

Also, yay Goober!
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Just because FSO is easier to install mods, doesn't mean there shouldn't be development on making the installation process easier for le dummies (myself included) :).
Obviously. But that was not the point Fury was making.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grĂ¢ce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Obviously. But that was not the point Fury was making.

Yeah, I know, I just wanted to hoot that thought out there for some reason or other.  :nervous:
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
ANY NEWS GOOBER?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Unfortunately no.  There have been a number of RL developments in the past few months that have taken up a large part of my time.

Rest assured I will get back to this, but installer time is in short supply for the near term.

The last page is what I'm currently working on.

I thought pr0n wasn't allowed on HLP now you got me fapping wtf.

Srsly, amazing awesomeness. I don't consider an installer necessary, even in such an elaborate project as the SCP, but the fact that one will soon be made is just a great testament to how far you've all came.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
gettin talked up bout this installer **** erry day

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yup.  August was a bit crazy, but I'll be getting back to this soon.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Hope things are settling down for you!

It warms my heart to see so many longtime FSO veterans, who already have the game and all the mods installed, so excited about this awesome project that seems to primarily benefit less experienced users who are intimidated by the manual installation processes.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.