Author Topic: Factorio- Automate ALL the Things!  (Read 1978 times)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Factorio- Automate ALL the Things!
Has anyone else played this? I managed to sink two hours into it completely by accident after giving in and buying it. I originally thought I would get bored to death of this game, but surprisingly not. Just needs music and a better UI.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: Factorio- Automate ALL the Things!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/427520/Factorio/

Factorio is a top-down real-time strategy game where your primary focus is to build machines and contraptions that build other machines and contraptions, which are then used to further automate things. A key component to gameplay is the clever usage of simple machines known as transport belts (conveyors) which move items around the map. The recipes in the assembler machines can be simple or it can be maddening, all depending on how well you route your belts.

Factorio is also marketed as being "very moddable" with an in-game mod repository of sorts. Presumably the modding is done in LUA and there's an unconfirmed rumor that the entire game itself is in LUA.

Factorio has multiplayer available, and there are some mods that upscale the combat aspect to something much more challenging. Be sure to give the vanilla campaigns and challenge maps a try!
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
Don't play this game it's awful you'll get nothing done!
Also, https://www.factorio.com/, they get more money if you buy directly from them.
Also,
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Don't play this game it's awful you'll get nothing done!
Understatement.

Also, surprisingly, there's another thread for it that nobody ever replied to.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I may not be much of a mod anymore, but I can still fix that.

Also I came to an epiphany today.  I don't need to build more production facilities to keep up with my resources, I should instead throttle back my production to more efficiently utilize the production facilities I have so things don't get backed up.

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
I may not be much of a mod anymore, but I can still fix that.

Also I came to an epiphany today.  I don't need to build more production facilities to keep up with my resources, I should instead throttle back my production to more efficiently utilize the production facilities I have so things don't get backed up.

Signal wires are SO SO SO SO good for that. You can place a signal wire on chests and most of the logistical machines and control them with some simple logic as well as monitor their contents.
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I've had Factorio for a long time now but I haven't played it for a while. Mostly because I can't seem to wrap my head around proper automation.

Oh, hey, I forgot I ever posted about this originally. Nice to see getting consistently ignored whenever I start a topic here :P
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 01:06:22 am by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
I've had Factorio for a long time now but I haven't played it for a while. Mostly because I can't seem to wrap my head around proper automation.
It doesn't help that the current tutorial/campaign does nothing to really explain how to play the game "properly"; I was stuck with total mess of spaghetti until I played multiplayer for the first time, and a friend showed me what a more structured factory could look like (using the resource bus paradigm).

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Spaghetti's about right. Also not knowing how the bots work and building spaghetti efficiently. I get to plastics production before everything just kind of goes to ****. Oil wells don't last for ****.

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
The transport belt madness challenge campaign really helped me with that, but then again it's not a tutorial.

@Cobra: Sorry m8! Didn't know you had made a topic about Factorio a year ago.  :banghead:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 10:49:21 am by z64555 »
chief1983

------------

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Oil wells don't last for ****.
All resources don't last for ****; that's why you're supposed to continually expand and find ways to ship those resources back to your main factory. Oil wells are actually the best in this regard because they have a minimum yield; once you have the capability, you can throw speed module 3s into your pumpjacks and spread around some beacons with more in order to increase how much that minimum yield gives you.

In older versions, shipping oil had to be done by making barrels, then filling those barrels with oil, then putting the oil-filled barrels into a train, and emptying the barrels at the destination. Now there are fluid wagons, so liquids can be shipped by trains directly, so you can choose whether to ship crude oil, or whether to process the oil remotely and then ship the individual components back to your main factory (and, for good measure, pretty much every kind of liquid can now be barrelled up, so shipping all kinds of liquids can be done either way).

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so