Author Topic: Alcibiades' Spelling Quiz  (Read 6292 times)

Offline azile0

• Resident Trekkie
Alcibiades' Spelling Quiz

Q. Isn't it "Alcibiades's"?

A. No, shut up. Lalala can't hear you.

Haha.. Nice. I'm looking forward to this one.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 06:11:54 pm by Blue Lion »
You get one chocolate chip.

. <--- There it is.

Self-proclaimed master of the Keypad.

Offline tinfoil

• i'm 13 remember
it's an inside joke. ;)
Alcibades' Gamble - We Love Our Ice Cream

Everything you need to know, and more can be found at The Freespace Wiki

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
And what's the motivation behind that? Gotta ask that, because I prefer the s's way.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline tinfoil

• i'm 13 remember
you sound like a snake when you say it.

And what's the motivation behind that? Gotta ask that, because I prefer the s's way.
Because s's is grammatically incorrect. 
"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline tinfoil

• i'm 13 remember
Actually, I'm not sure that it is, but it's sure annoying.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester

S's is definitely correct. Check any detailed grammar book, printed or online.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer

S's is definitely correct. Check any detailed grammar book, printed or online.

I did. Every one says it is in the writer's discretion to pick. Goober and I had the same argument.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Writer's discretion is a concession (hey, that rhymes!) because it's so common.  But yes, s's is grammatically correct. :D

Offline BS403

• I'm just sitting in my Cave.
That's odd, I was always told that when a word (any word) ends in s to simply add an apostrophe to make said word possessive.
http://woogleville.myminicity.com/

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!
Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.
Homer: Explain how.
Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Homer: Woo-hoo!

Offline tinfoil

• i'm 13 remember
It's more or less at the discretion of the author.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Not really.
S's is grammatically correct, but is awkward to read (and to pronounce).
So people just drop the s at the end.
Hey, languages evolve.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
S' is correct for non-proper nouns ending in S, but proper nouns can go with either s's or s' at the writer's discretion.  Most people do pronounce an extra "es" sound at the end of these names except in cases where the last syllable is pronounces as "eez" (common in Greek names like this case), but s's on paper looks unpleasing to a lot of people, especially when it's "ss's", so it's up to you.  There may also be AE vs BE and regional differences in general preferences, but, as usual, that stuff only really matters to linguists and people with way too much free time :nervous:.  In this case, I'd say the style points definitely go to Alcibiades'  :yes:.  Anyway, way to go with the simultaneous announcement and release!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
S' is correct for non-proper nouns ending in S
I think you mean plural nouns.

Anyway, I found the Strunk and White rule online.  Ironically, Alcibiades would probably count as an "ancient proper name ending in -es".

Offline eliex

Most people write it as "s'" rather than "s's", although being grammatically incorrect.
Then again, I say that "s's" are getting phased out of the English language like so many other words.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
HLP is great.  :D

Not only I enjoy a great game, but I also get free advanced English lessons.  :pimp:

(Because they are advanced, not absurd, aren't they?  :lol: :lol:)
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Take notes, there will be a test later.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
I think you mean plural nouns.
Nope nope, if I'm not mistaken (which is always a distinct possibility), the possessor's being singular or plural should not change its written treatment; the only important consideration is whether the noun ends in S or not (which most plurals happen to).

So bus' is correct, but bus's is not.  Buses' is correct, but buses's is not.  And just for the hell of it, busses' is correct, but busses's is not.  As a side note, they are all pronounced identically.  :ick:

It's only proper nouns (among nouns ending in s) that can elect to have an extra bonus S after their apostrophe, though in the "special exception" cases like Jesus', Achilles', and many other old timers there is never an extra S (this was news to me).

So Purvis' and Purvis's are both acceptable, and the one chosen might depend on either the specific author's style or the first syllable of the following word.  So Purvis' style might look better to some than Purvis's style, but Purvis' jawline is probably weaker than Purvis's jawline.  It's impossible to get it right, and you get yelled at when you're wrong.  Nuns patrol the aisles with their rulers ready to tattoo your wrists at the first sign of a slip.  Basically it's a nightmare, one you can only wake up from by realizing that no one in their right mind gives a damn about it.  Then you admit that you have a problem and the healing can begin.

In conclusion, Spanish is a beautiful language with remarkably uniform grammar, syntax, and spelling.  Sorry to crap up your nice FAQ thread.  I promise I'm done now.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Nope nope, if I'm not mistaken (which is always a distinct possibility), the possessor's being singular or plural should not change its written treatment; the only important consideration is whether the noun ends in S or not (which most plurals happen to).
You're mistaken. :p  Here, I'll provide examples:

The wheels on the bus -> The bus's wheels
The wheels on the buses -> The buses' wheels

That's the universal pattern, whether the noun is common or proper.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The wheels on the bus -> The bus's wheels
The wheels on the buses -> The buses' wheels
The emboldened s doesn't necessarily need to be there right?