Author Topic: High Poly Leviathan  (Read 65806 times)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq

Still needs more work, but the middle section is getting there.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 01:19:42 pm by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Just going to establish right off the bat that cury Fenriathans are blasphemy, and Blasphemy day was Friday.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
1x1 pixel gifs For The Lose.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Hades

Just going to establish right off the bat that cury Fenriathans are blasphemy, and Blasphemy day was Friday.
Being close minded is a lot worse bro. Just saying.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm just going to get this in now... This thread has been warned. Keep it civil, people.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Chamfered boxxys are ok as long as they're still boxxy.

Actually that thing looks a lot like a TC-Meson Bomb.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 01:37:11 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Stop it with the image macros, morons.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Kolgena

It depends how curvy it ends up to be. The Arcadia is also FS1 era, and we were pretty happy about that one being roundish.

As long as the thing doesn't look Vasudan by the end of it, I don't think I would have a problem. (However, I still like the old, boxy look that comes with the Fenris/Leviathan, but that's just me, and I like my nostalgia glasses a lot.)

Not sure what all the hubbub is about, it really doesn't look all that curvy. Once the fore and aft sections are applied they will break up that egg shape. There isn't enough model yet to get your panties in a twist. Let the man work.
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
yes please, we need a new htlization of those two frikking models.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
The Medusa was relatively "cury" and it ended up looking extremely Terran, the Valkyrie has always been curvey and looks Terran. As long as he doesn't model the Feviathan to look like a Vasudan or Shivan ship (and Hades has been demonstrating some exceptional ability lately) I think we shall all survive.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
It was cury? I thought it was a bit too spicy...
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
My first reaction was to wonder whether or not we needed another iteration of the Fenris/Leviathan as opposed to some other model, since I think the current models still look pretty damn good all things considered.  But then I realized that, with this recent super-influx of new models, there really aren't many completely-untouched ships left, so why not revisit one of the older models?  If nothing else, I'd like to see Hades' own take on it. :)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I dont think you did yourself any favours with the angles of the shots, they make the model look more rounded that they are on first impression.

As for the chamfered edges i agree with droid that they in themselves are not a problem, the issue i can think of is that to achieve a consistent look you will have to use it for most of the hard edges and personally speaking some of the hard edges are part of the defining features of the hull so i would recommend being careful in how you apply them
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Yeah Hades, terrible angles!

...okay fine, I made the shots.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It looks promising, although I'd rather see Deimos finished. Leviathan/Fenris (it'd be weird to remake only one of them) currently look good compared to the old Deimos.

Offline Hades

It looks promising, although I'd rather see Deimos finished. Leviathan/Fenris (it'd be weird to remake only one of them) currently look good compared to the old Deimos.
Actually, my plan was for the Leviathan to look similar, but yet vastly different. It'd be the same basic chassis, but hugely upgraded and unarmored, which was what the Leviathan was to the Fenris.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
The idea with the layered-armor-look is good and I like the hexagonal(ish) cutouts a lot. But IMO you should keep the at least the original side profile with the sharp angles on the tower, since it's really one of the most recognizable visual features of the original. As it is now, it looks way to much like an armored football.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
It depends how curvy it ends up to be. The Arcadia is also FS1 era, and we were pretty happy about that one being roundish.

Imho fenris/levi should be as simple as humanly possible, because they were mass produced and quite rushed into service. Built in the time of war, same as Orions, remember? Boxes! Unlike the Hecate or Mentu which had time to be designed (and have failed to do their job accordingly, but that's something different :P).
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Offline Hades

Imho fenris/levi should be as simple as humanly possible, because they were mass produced and quite rushed into service. Built in the time of war, same as Orions, remember? Boxes! Unlike the Hecate or Mentu which had time to be designed (and have failed to do their job accordingly, but that's something different :P).
citation needed

also the leviathan was a refit/redesign of the Fenris years after the Fenris was put into service.
and

detailing is largely incomplete and there's still a lot to do, front is mostly incomplete
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL