Author Topic: TAC 1 Texturing  (Read 3121 times)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Yes that's right, you read the user/post combo correctly my astounded friends. I've finally started trying to learn texturing.

https://skfb.ly/6qFpy
(using sketchfab because I don't have p3d plus so the texture gets downsized to absolute hell)

Still in the pretty early stages and I'm probably doing a whole lot wrong here too so critique is more than welcome. Main color of the thing is the same as the Chronos' white at the moment because that bit will be teamcolored so you can have the retail purple/brownish thing or red/blue/green like actual shipping crates IRL. At least that's the plan.

EDIT: Created a layer to put the color of the retail box on so people could see it like that. On the file itself though the brown/purple area is the Chronos' off-white.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 02:07:52 pm by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Looking great so far; feel you've got a perfect amount of details on the side panels and picked good shades of the hull colours (not to bright yet not to dark). Look forward to seeing the finished product; go for it! :yes:

(and on a side note, hats off for the nice models on your sketchfab! Really like that Chronos carrier).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 05:06:10 pm by T-Man »
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Hades

Spent a good portion of yesterday messing around with brushes and opacity to try to add some 'texture' to the texture. Same link as in the OP.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Generic metal (and anything you find that looks interesting, really) textures you can find on the internet + layer blending modes will be a useful tool for you.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Hades

Thanks, that was a very good suggestion. Model's updated with https://www.textures.com/download/metalgalvanized0010/3277 as an overlay with 50% fill. It's only on the 3 big segments at the moment so people can get a clear view of the difference. I might try a different metal base though.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 05:35:22 am by Hades »
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Hades

https://sketchfab.com/models/8d99c9629b5e4a11a9791db27857e167

At this point I'm basically 98% done with the diffuse or so, the real stuff to do now is glows/normals/shine/team coloring (on the white bits only).

I've also thrown FREDders a bone and used the nameplate system so they can have fairly flexible logo/text placement, as seen here:

You can have the logo, the mid, or bottom text on any of the 3 segments. All 3 segments, if you so choose, or just one. Four 'nameplate' textures in total.

e: forgot, kudos to MJN for the good GTA logo remake.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 07:43:03 pm by Hades »
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Looking good. The super high detail geometry really gets shown off by some of the texturing you're doing.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp