Author Topic: RELEASE: Transcend  (Read 174938 times)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
here's my theory:

Spoiler:
Since Karl Sinclair was never 'killed' in the last mission, he didn't fade from existence like Omicron did.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Fenrir

• ?
Spoiler:
You can kill him if you so choose. And I SO choose. >_>

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
I think Fenrirs explination is the most likely, infact, it entirely makes sense.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yeesh, this campaign was creepy.  But that was a good thing, considering the plot.  Very well done. :)
Spoiler:
Except the first time I heard the breathing, I was afraid some face was going to jump out like they do with those stupid Flash movies. :shaking:

I must say, that penultimate mission was an outstanding piece of work.  Unique concept, clever implementation, great use of the new sexps, and really, really fun.  (Freaking hard though.  I was lucky enough to beat it on the second try, but I was down to 6% hull.)
Spoiler:
What happens if you fail to destroy all the Pegasi in time?  I looked in the mission file but there didn't seem to be any mission failure condition.  Seems to me if you fail to kill the Transcendant before the node collapses, you lose (and possibly merge with the Transcendant yourself).  It would have been cool to see this as an alternate ending.

I have only one gripe with the campaign, but it's a major one:
Spoiler:
Transcend shares the same malady that affects Homesick and Sync: Repetitive Mission Syndrome.  There were too many missions during the campaign that were either "dash to the subspace node and avoid the fighters chasing you, but watch out for the ship blockading the node", or "arrive in a new system followed promptly by one or more warships, then wait for your subspace drives to recharge which curiously takes exactly the length of time required to destroy all the fighters".  The end of the campaign suffered heavily from this, as it seemed like there were about 12 of them strung in a row.  You could have easily removed half (or more) of these missions and not harmed the story at all.

Would you consider posting transcripts of the distorted sound clips?

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Originally posted by karajorma
Do me a favour. Try moving mv_textures.vp files out of your FS2 folder and try running the same mission. Bet you it works now.

That's not a solution to your problem of course. The best thing you can do is to simply delete mv_music but do me a favour and try that one first.

It seems very strange. But, i did the first solution, Fs2 work perfectly well with the last build.
So, i try to keep all the mv_xxx.vp in my Freespace2 folder, i ran it, and .... the game didn't crash. O_o
Perhaps, it's because i play now, in OpenGL mode. I don't know.
Before playing the Transcend Campaign I always played Fs2 in D3D not in OpenGL.
And, personnally, the graphic engine in OGL is better than expected.
I'm too happy now. I can play Fs2, i can listen my own music.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Hmmm. You know I don't think I've tried that recently. I put my media vp files in their own folder and ran using multi-mod. The one time I did try putting them all in the main folder I still got the crash. I might have to explore this one further.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Originally posted by Fenrir
Spoiler:
I think they didn't arrive because their arrival (and presumably the original Omicron 4's death) were probably consequences of the Transendant's rise in power. At one point Omi 3 points out that she never found out how Omi 4 died... chances are he was absorbed into the Transendant without their knowing. If that's so, then Omi 4 never died in the new timeline and therefore they never had to go fetch Kappa 1.
[/B]

:nod: Fenrir hit the nail on the head.

Originally posted by Goober5000
Spoiler:
What happens if you fail to destroy all the Pegasi in time?  I looked in the mission file but there didn't seem to be any mission failure condition.  Seems to me if you fail to kill the Transcendant before the node collapses, you lose (and possibly merge with the Transcendant yourself).  It would have been cool to see this as an alternate ending.
[/b]

Spoiler:
I'd considered doing something like that, but decided against it on the grounds that because the mission's already pretty hard it would be too easy to get the 'failure' ending and too difficult to get the other one, which might lead people to believe the alternate ending is the only one.

I have only one gripe with the campaign, but it's a major one:
Spoiler:
Transcend shares the same malady that affects Homesick and Sync: Repetitive Mission Syndrome.  There were too many missions during the campaign that were either "dash to the subspace node and avoid the fighters chasing you, but watch out for the ship blockading the node", or "arrive in a new system followed promptly by one or more warships, then wait for your subspace drives to recharge which curiously takes exactly the length of time required to destroy all the fighters".  The end of the campaign suffered heavily from this, as it seemed like there were about 12 of them strung in a row.  You could have easily removed half (or more) of these missions and not harmed the story at all.
[/b]

Spoiler:
Yeah, that's true. They looked a lot less repetitive on paper :nervous:

Would you consider posting transcripts of the distorted sound clips?

Okay.

Offline pyro-manic

• FlambĂ©
What I'm interested in is laugh.wav. That was disturbing, but it doesn't seem to be in any of the missions. Can you tell us what it was going to be used for?
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline Kie99

Spoiler:
Who did the voice acting for the Transcendental
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Originally posted by pyro-manic
What I'm interested in is laugh.wav. That was disturbing, but it doesn't seem to be in any of the missions. Can you tell us what it was going to be used for?

Spoiler:
It is used, in E4M8 (Chaos Prayer), when the Generation first returns after being destroyed.

Originally posted by kietotheworld
Spoiler:
Who did the voice acting for the Transcendental
[/B]

I did. :nervous:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I must say, the voice acting was very well done. :nod: And the way the distortions and such were applied seemed very professional.

Some more questions that came to mind:
Spoiler:
1) What's the significance of "Everybody Has a Limit"?

2) If Omega knew everything about the Transcendant, why didn't they try stopping it themselves?

3) Those sound clips are very intriguing.  I suppose they mean something (or at least allude to it).  Any plans to explain?  Or this this another thing left purposely vague?

4) Why does destroying the Transcendant reset everything?  Does that mean he has some weird influence on time?  It seems to me  that although reality should stop being twisted, nothing should be reset: i.e. everything should continue as it was at the time of destruction.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Spoiler:
Perhaps the Trancendant One is omnichronous. As soon as he no longer exists in one time frame he no longer exists in any of them. As a result Omicron 4 would never be taken and thus no one would ever come to take Kappa 1 away.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline JR2000Z

Not really a spoiler since I'm having trouble on the first mission. :(

How far out do I have to be to get away from the astroid field? I was four minutes into the mission and well away from the astroid field.:doubt:
I finally destoryed the Shivan armada and all I got was this lousy T shirt.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Spoiler:
Perhaps the Trancendant One is omnichronous. As soon as he no longer exists in one time frame he no longer exists in any of them. As a result Omicron 4 would never be taken and thus no one would ever come to take Kappa 1 away.
[/B]
Spoiler:
That's what I guessed too.  But if that's the case, then at what point does he become "omichronous"?  If he was the product of an experiment, then what is now the result of the experiment?

Offline JR2000Z

nevermind. i figured it out. tricky.
I finally destoryed the Shivan armada and all I got was this lousy T shirt.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Spoiler:

My guess as to why time rewound is that the transcendent used his last dying moments to do it as a 'favor' for kappa 1, rewind back time till before anything started
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Kie99

Spoiler:
[/B]

Spoiler:
but then he never would have been destroyed.  Aren't temporal mechanics fun :D

Offline Kie99

Originally posted by JR2000Z
Not really a spoiler since I'm having trouble on the first mission. :(

How far out do I have to be to get away from the astroid field? I was four minutes into the mission and well away from the astroid field.:doubt:

You have to be on the opposite side of the field to the Jump Node.

Just spend the whole evening playing this campaign and i must say its the best one i've ever played.
Those sounds gave me the creeps...really good work in creating these. Well the story was exactly after my taste, horror and scifi in one very interesting plot. And a movie at the end...well everything looked very fit and proper. Really, a very nice campaign, my new favorite! :)
Planet-Fiction.de - your Resource for SciFi-Games!

Hi,
i have a problem, i use FS2Open 20050622 but on OpenGL i have a heavy graphic problem with the Fenris Cruisermodel in mission no.7
On Direct3D the cruiser model is allright but i have only 4 fps and with older FS2Open Versions FS2 crashes while loading the mission.
The other .tbl File didn't solve the problem.

Mav