Author Topic: RELEASE: Transcend  (Read 174934 times)

Offline mr.WHO

Personally I think that this is much better than Homesick and quite better than Synx.
Those last mission, I can feel that world is turning mad/hell.
Mastepiece.

BTW those silent civilans an pirates scared me as **** :D and give me an idea for a campaign:
for few weeks many ships has been reported mission, many of them was found empty like ghost ships. then after few mission Hell let loose. Many civilian ships begin attack each other and GTVA warships, GTVA ships begin turn on each other. GTVA desperatly try to contain the area but with every day the are begin to be overunned. after few science missions it sure that it's cause by desease. GTVA must contain the infested area and track down the source of that virus.
Basicaly a "Resident Evil in space"
First stage would be very interesting
( I always loved "before stage" in catastrophical movies like "Day after tomorrow" "independence day") because you would be slowly discovering "what the hell is going on"..but it'd require a skilled FREDer and storywriter to create an interesting campaign.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Kosh
You planning on doing anything else like that?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We'll see...

I'm looking forward to it.

Edit: I just finished whole campaign and I must scream one thing FANTASTIC!!!, it have better story than many multimilion hollywood,  that final battle was amazing (plus amazing effects after final duel).
Now you're my second (after Blaise Russel) favorite Campaign maker. I hope that it isn't your last project.
productions.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 03:41:24 pm by 1471 »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Finished it. That last mission is a complete ***** but I finally beat it. Very good work. I'm hugely impressed :)

Spoiler:
Great music too. Great use of the SCP features too. First time I saw the fade-in effect I knew I found the first mission in a long time which I'd have to open up in FRED to see how something was done!. I suspected the cutscene SEXPs though :)

Loved the music from the last level too
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Spoiler:
Forgot to mention, the slow-mo part was even better cause i was pitching up as i was shooting the Transcendant. Added a lot more drama to it. :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline mr.WHO

I thought about "why I like this campaign more than homesick and Synx" and among few arguments like overall story is better, FREDing is good ect. I found weard (even to myself) thing:
Spoiler:
God I love happy ending

Offtopic: I never fully understand the ending of Synx, I mean
Spoiler:

when shivans toasting everyone and the word "We doomed the alliance" at the end. I mean this is a rewritten story of FS2 or they went to another universe where they let shivans in the GTVA space

could anyone make it clear for me?

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Originally posted by mr.WHO
Offtopic: I never fully understand the ending of Synx, I mean
Spoiler:

when shivans toasting everyone and the word "We doomed the alliance" at the end. I mean this is a rewritten story of FS2 or they went to another universe where they let shivans in the GTVA space
[/B]

Sync was only the first part, the explanations will come in the later parts.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Now that I finished it, here's my "rewiew".. actually commnets

Spoiler:

First, I must say you are very talented. Excellent use of FREDing skills and some very neat tricks. One of the better campaigns I came across....but not that good. Why you ask?

1. Well despite being only 4 fighters you magicly seem to rearm and repair during a 30 sec subspace jump? That kinda kills immerion for me immediately.

2. A lot of the missions are iriataingly the same - fight off wings of perseus/herc for a few minutes, jump. Or run to the node while dodging fighters, then jump.
It wouldn't be that bad if there weren't a dozen of such missions practicly in a row.

Now for the subjective critics. Teh stroy, while intruiging in the begining becomes totaly lame (in my oppinion) near the end.
now I usualyl hate psy powers and demi-god stuffm but this is not exactly why.
You see..the Transcendant makes little to no sense.

He was a human experimented on, then he left out world and gained some uber Q-like powers. He can make ships dissapear in front of you, make them blow up, change reality and apparently he can allso comsume others (like your wingman suddenly turning zombie and attacking you).
what makes little sense is - if he's so powerfull why didn't he stop you. Or simply made you dissaper or turn you into a zombie. That's right - you have charachter shields.
You might se - he didn' coause he wanted you to end his suffering (kill him). Well, if he wants to die can't he kill himself? Why does he make it so hard for you to kill him if he wants to die?
You see, too many plot holes for my liking.

I think it would have turned better if it had simply something to do with ghosts of the dead or soething, rather than a uber-human-with-god-like-powers destroying the UNIVERSE.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Kie99

Originally posted by Cobra
Spoiler:
Forgot to mention, the slow-mo part was even better cause i was pitching up as i was shooting the Transcendant. Added a lot more drama to it. :D
[/B]

That was the point of the scene :p.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
oh shut it. :p that's my opinion, and that's why Ransom is a genious. :p
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Spoiler:
1) I accepted that as being necessary to the campaign...otherwise you'd be caught a dozen missions later, only to find that your 5% hull strength made it impossible to go any further.

2) That's true. It would've been nice to see some variety, although that whole thing added to the effect of being chased. Maybe some of the times where a few jumps were skipped could be made into some less tense story-building missions.

3) I looked at that as, the Transcendant trusted you because it was able to actually communicate with you. And because maybe it couldn't really kill itself or even control itself...when Omega 1 mentioned that the Transcendant was reliving its 'last memories', I figured that it was experimented on during the later stages of the Terran-Vasudan war, and was slowly and unconsciously reforming the universe into its memories of that.

Try and put yourself in its shoes for a moment. If someone goes at you with a knife or gun, you're going to try to defend yourself; it's basic human instinct. You might not be able to stop yourself from doing certain things to defend yourself.
-C

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Spoiler:
I thought the Transcendant was Alpha 1 from Sync, actually.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Kie99

Originally posted by Ransom Arceihn

Parts. Parts is a plural. w00t!

Spoiler:
I really liked it when the flashes came up, and there was the Deimos, Custodian, Farae et al.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Spoiler:
gah! i keep closing my eyes and see that damned pegasus staring at me!1
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
Spoiler:
1) I accepted that as being necessary to the campaign...otherwise you'd be caught a dozen missions later, only to find that your 5% hull strength made it impossible to go any further.

3) I looked at that as, the Transcendant trusted you because it was able to actually communicate with you. And because maybe it couldn't really kill itself or even control itself...when Omega 1 mentioned that the Transcendant was reliving its 'last memories', I figured that it was experimented on during the later stages of the Terran-Vasudan war, and was slowly and unconsciously reforming the universe into its memories of that.

Try and put yourself in its shoes for a moment. If someone goes at you with a knife or gun, you're going to try to defend yourself; it's basic human instinct. You might not be able to stop yourself from doing certain things to defend yourself.
[/B]

Spoiler:

1. Yeah, i know.. Still you could have assigned the team a support ship (with hull-repair enabled) or at least implement something every few mission that explains why they are stocked and repaired again.

3. Possibly. Alltough I still don't like that part of the story. It's too murky.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Originally posted by TrashMan
Spoiler:
3. Possibly. Alltough I still don't like that part of the story. It's too murky.
[/B]

Spoiler:
Mm. That was actually something I had in mind while making it. I wanted to encourage the player to think about what was going on and come to their own conclusions, rather than having the plot neatly laid out for them. I find it very interesting reading people's theories on the Transcendant's origins, in fact I'd really like to hear from more people on the matter.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 07:20:49 pm by 1494 »

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Originally posted by karajorma
Great music too.

MUSIC?!!??!?! Gah...it's all been killed...how did you get music? Isn't there a problem with the vp or somethin' somethin'. I only ever get music in the briefing/debriefings. :(

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Originally posted by Alpha0
Ransom Arceihn, this is an exceptional piece of work you got there. I spent six hours last night playing this little masterpiece and I just could not stop until I reached the end. Great story and superb use of SCP effects. I did not experience any bugs whatsoever. The ending is out of this world and to watch it once more I would not mind replaying the entire lot. For me, this campaign stands out, at the same level with Homesick and Derelict.

You sir, are talented. My warmest congratulations for one of the best space thrillers I've ever seen.

Totally agreed:nod:

And I made sure to play it in the dark!:D

and I only stopped playing twice for bathroom brakes played the whole thing through non-stop I couldn't resist it.

Spoiler:
The nebula was great! It looked like something straight out of hell, and I love this Twilight zoneish ending.

Spoiler:
Mm. That was actually something I had in mind while making it. I wanted to encourage the player to think about what was going on and come to their own conclusions, rather than having the plot neatly laid out for them. I find it very interesting reading people's theories on the Transcendant's origins, in fact I'd really like to hear from more people on the matter.
[/B]

I suggest starting another thread if you want to
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 12:30:57 am by 2559 »
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Fenrir

• ?
It's a problem with the mv_music.vp. Just get rid of it and things should work out fine.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny

So there will be more? Sweet.

I do have a couple of minor gripes about it that I forgot to mention.

Spoiler:

1.) I was kind of disappointed that we never found out why "End" ended up the way it was, and also the complete story behind the 103rd.

2.) How the hell did Omega wing know so much about the Transcendent?
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Fenrir

• ?
Wow. That was quite a thrill. I didn't know Freespace could be creepy!

The only thing I didn't like at all was being stuck in a Hurc II. with friggin' Prometheus R's! Sure, one or the other would be alright, but there were many times I wished I could swap with Omni 3's Perseus... or at least trade the R for another subach. Other than that, I loved it.

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
uh-oh, no End Planet.