Author Topic: RELEASE: Transcend  (Read 174939 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
A double-volley of Hornets does less subsystem damage then your Harpoons, you realize.

You people still need to learn how to use the Hornet properly. It doesn't work for high-deflection angles because it flies a lag-pursuit curve. Fired from aft of the target it's quite effective.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
*shrugs* for whatever reason, they worked better. Finally finished it. WHEE! :D

9.5/10; there were a few issues where a ship got blow up, or departed, before it was supposed to, but nothing mission-critical.
-C

Finally! I got it to work. I really don't like being stuck in a certain craft, I ALWAYS like a choice of ships and weapons. However, seeing how many ra missions there are to start I understand the no choice thing.

Having some fun playing it. I like the variety so far and the interesting way you are telling the story. I'll keep pluging along.:)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
i opened the game up in the debug build and it gave me a load of bull**** about NebulaA1 or something that was missing. come to think of it, i was always wondering why i got a ****load of white squares everytime lightning flashed.

also, i finally got to the end, and when i played the video it was a tiny rectangle in the upper-left corner. :wtf:

[EDIT] Skipped the video, played it through DivX.
Spoiler:
I just noticed, all that choppiness was time rewinding itself thanks to the Transcendant. Damn, was that freaky, time rewinding itself to just before the whole mess started.

Then there's the echoes of the dead people. That seriously freaked me out. (Gives new meaning to the line "I see dead people..." eh? ;) Davies and Rikas die, and then they become part of the Transcendant, then the teleporting... sheesh. The messages scared the **** out of me, too. "That's weird... The interference is part of the message."

overall, i give it a 10/10. excellent job! :yes:

[EDIT2] Oh yeah, almost forgot, i got the white squares of death whenever a Triton or larger jumped out. D3D.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 01:30:03 am by 2299 »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline WMCoolmon

Originally posted by kietotheworld
Spoiler:
Was that ending video showing actual clips of my gameplay?  I think that's what WMC is implying.  If so then that's fantastic.  If no then you have the exact same effects as me..
[/B]

Spoiler:
Even simpler., not only were the fade-in/fade-out SEXPs part of the campaign, and the time-compression SEXPs, but they all worked :p
-C

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Damned these white squares of doom. Though, I think it has something to do with the recent build? I mean, I'm using D3D and it's bootiful, but those stupid squares...they're not just warpballs, they show up when you shoot into some parts of the background in the earlier missions.

Anyway, I'm loving the campaign, but it's really frustrating. Aside from my apparent suckiness, it just seems at times that whenever an enemy wing jumps in, they just HAVE to all target you and unleash their hellish, freakshow laser volley at you. It's really scary having a seizure from a bunch of green and purple flashes, then proceeding to observe your own ship graphically clipped to hell because of the death bug as it spirals to oblivion.

I'm not done yet, but I've been playing it on medium and there are a couple missions that got me really pissed off. One that I had to repeat about 8 times because I was stubborn and didn't want to just skip it. So I cheated instead :blah:

And what I hate besides every enemy fighter wanting to assrape you is the fact that once you get the directive to jump out, everyone just ditches you and then you get targeted by every enemy in the area. They just slaughter you, and it's just TONS worse when you've already pressed alt+j and you still die.

I almost cried when I heard my stupid "self" say, "If it's all the same to you, I'd rather keep it." Damned Herc II is too slow...

Otherwise, a masterfully crafted piece of work. I'm anxious for the ending.

Oh and something I noticed that WMCoolmon pointed out
Spoiler:
The Fural always dies, and then the next mission it comes out with 5% hull left. huh?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 02:20:16 am by 835 »

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
I know hornets dont lead their target, but most of the fighters you have to fight are relativley fast and simply outrun the hornets.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Aaarg i can't play it. The mod crashes during the loading sequence.
Whatever build i use, the game crashed.
And whatever graphic mode (D3D or OGL) the game crashed too. :/ :cry:

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Well, Im running it on D3D and I'm having no problems.

The only problem I do have (except the cruiser01x, which is easily solvable) is something fishy with the tables.

The holed Orion (that onbe with S...you home base) in mission shows up as a Ulysses - as if hte model is missing.

Now I tried extracting the ships TBL and replacing hte regular Orion & Hecte with mine, and saving, but strangely the formatting get's all screwd up when I save it?????

and naturally, since the whol text gett's cramped, the table doesn't work anymore ... ugh..

EDTI: the planets allso don't show.. what planet bitmaps are you suing anyway? where can I get them?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Originally posted by Cobra
i opened the game up in the debug build and it gave me a load of bull**** about NebulaA1 or something that was missing.

Gmuh! It uses Lightspeed's nebulas. I completely forgot about that.

Originally posted by AqueousShadow
Oh and something I noticed that WMCoolmon pointed out
Spoiler:
The Fural always dies, and then the next mission it comes out with 5% hull left. huh?
[/B]

Patch updated, should be fixed now.

Originally posted by TrashMan
Well, Im running it on D3D and I'm having no problems.

The only problem I do have (except the cruiser01x, which is easily solvable) is something fishy with the tables.

The holed Orion (that onbe with S...you home base) in mission shows up as a Ulysses - as if hte model is missing.

Now I tried extracting the ships TBL and replacing hte regular Orion & Hecte with mine, and saving, but strangely the formatting get's all screwd up when I save it?????

and naturally, since the whol text gett's cramped, the table doesn't work anymore ... ugh..

EDTI: the planets allso don't show.. what planet bitmaps are you suing anyway? where can I get them?

Those things are included in the VP. Are you using the -mod commandline to run the campaign?

Offline WMCoolmon

AquaeousShadow:
Try juking around a bit...randomly veering in different directions. Another tactic is to rush straight at the enemy wing. It sounds stupid, but you and a wing of perseus' closing in on each other doesn't give a whole lot of time for them to destroy you, and the AI usually takes a while to turn around.

Once you're dogfighting, wound a fighter so it runs away, then turn to the next one, always stay on the move. Use missiles whenever you get the chance and it seems like there's a good chance they'll hit. Even if you don't have a lock, you can still damage a fighter pretty severely with a pair of harpoons. (My favorite maneuver in the campaign was when I rushed a group of Hercs; I fired two at the lead fighter as I went head-on with the wing, destroying him, and started shooting at the next couple of fighters. I dropped behind them, still firing, and fired off a pair of Harpoons without a lock, destroying both fighters. The remaining fighter was quickly wiped out by my wingmen. :D)

Finally, stay near friendly ships and always try to take out individual enemy wings as they appear. That way when you can jump out, there's nobody waiting around to peg you in the back (other than the odd cruiser or three :p).

Post-finally, use the ETS! for most missions you can get away with bringing shields and engines up a notch, as the Subach doesn't use much power.
-C

Offline Kie99

Spoiler:
When the Screen went black for the first time, I thought FSO was Crashing.  Then I saw my 'self' say < What the hell>.  How did you get that effect anyway?

Was that nebula the same Nebula where that Deimos and Sobek are in Sync?
 Did anyone else have horrendous loadtimes and slowdowns on this campaign, or was it to do with the CD that took 12 hours to burn, and the Bittorrent file I was downloading.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Rott3

This campaign is simply wow! I mean WOW! I never thought you could do so awesome stuff in FRED
Spoiler:
Especially the slo-mo in the end. It was the coolest thing EVER.
And the sounds, man *shrudder* Spookyness.

I congratulate you on a campaign very well done :yes:
Bet ya can't stick it

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Originally posted by karajorma
Done.

@Cobra you've been warned previously about posts that consist of nothing more than a smiley.

As for the campaign I'm enjoying it immensely. I think I'm definately going to have to go back and play Sync once I've got through this one.

He's been warned multiple times about spamming IIRC

Btw, I just finished playing that campaign.........and I loved it! Those creepy messages really got in my head. You planning on doing anything else like that?
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Spoiler:
I'm really, really tempted to get a video of the slo-mo at the end with fraps...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Alpha0

Ransom Arceihn, this is an exceptional piece of work you got there. I spent six hours last night playing this little masterpiece and I just could not stop until I reached the end. Great story and superb use of SCP effects. I did not experience any bugs whatsoever. The ending is out of this world and to watch it once more I would not mind replaying the entire lot. For me, this campaign stands out, at the same level with Homesick and Derelict.

You sir, are talented. My warmest congratulations for one of the best space thrillers I've ever seen.

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
AquaeousShadow:
Try juking around a bit...randomly veering in different directions. Another tactic is to rush straight at the enemy wing. It sounds stupid, but you and a wing of perseus' closing in on each other doesn't give a whole lot of time for them to destroy you, and the AI usually takes a while to turn around.

When a wing comes, I'm usually the first to head straight into them, but the problem is, some of them just collide right into you. But I've figured you should launch a volley, and then bank out of their fire.

Once you're dogfighting, wound a fighter so it runs away, then turn to the next one, always stay on the move. Use missiles whenever you get the chance and it seems like there's a good chance they'll hit. Even if you don't have a lock, you can still damage a fighter pretty severely with a pair of harpoons.

Yea, I think I've realized, but have not used this knowledge, that when you're chasing down a fighter, the others that are free tend to get on your case. I'll actually try putting this to use.

Finally, stay near friendly ships and always try to take out individual enemy wings as they appear. That way when you can jump out, there's nobody waiting around to peg you in the back (other than the odd cruiser or three :p).

Yea, it's better to stay around the wingmen, cuz they might get targeted instead of you, which is always good, considering they're invulnerable at 1 hull.

Post-finally, use the ETS! for most missions you can get away with bringing shields and engines up a notch, as the Subach doesn't use much power.

I do. Just not when I'm running for my life.

Thanks WMC. If anyone is having trouble with the campaign difficulty wise. Use these tips!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Spoiler:
The Slow-Mo thing was pure GENIOUS! You sir, you really know how to make a campaign. make a new horror campaign or else. :p
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

I completly agree with Alpha0. Very good story, excellend talks between wingmates (big plus for some humour here), and absoultley unpredictable ending. Black flashes, warp effects and time slowdowns at the end creates dark and mysterious atmosphere, as good as in the best thriller movies. Although, some missions could be done more detailed... it's only background for the storyline, but near the end it became too predictable. Eliminate a few waves of 4 fighter-wings and jump, just too standard.
Except this, campaing deserves highest notes. 8,5/10 in my personal ranking.
Expect the best. Be prepared for the worst.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Originally posted by kietotheworld
Spoiler:
How did you get that effect anyway?

Was that nebula the same Nebula where that Deimos and Sobek are in Sync?
[/b]

Spoiler:
- WMCoolmon's cutscene sexps.

- That nebula in Sync was on the opposite side of known space, connecting to the Ikeya system. But they are quite similar, aren't they? ;)

Originally posted by Kosh
You planning on doing anything else like that?

We'll see...

@ Alpha0: Glad you enjoyed it!

@ Psychoo: Fair enough. Good to hear you liked it besides that, though :)