Author Topic: High Poly GTD Orion  (Read 118176 times)

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
I agree, I don't think the dishes on the original model were quite that small.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Dishes are bigger than the retail ones, bros, just the bases have the bit connected to them beefed up which warps perception.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Al-Rik

@Hades

First I like your new Orion model.
IMHO the outlines of the ship are more clear, the old one looks very odd from certain angles.

Second I like also the look of the new Demios model, except on thing.
The old HTL model looks like they mount thick plates of armour on the bug and upper side of the ship, and those plates are separated by a rift. 

It reminds me of spaced armour: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced_armour

IMHO those "armour plates" look better than the windows on your Demios.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Dishes are bigger than the retail ones, bros, just the bases have the bit connected to them beefed up which warps perception.

Ahh, fair enough. :)
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
@Hades

First I like your new Orion model.
IMHO the outlines of the ship are more clear, the old one looks very odd from certain angles.

Second I like also the look of the new Demios model, except on thing.
The old HTL model looks like they mount thick plates of armour on the bug and upper side of the ship, and those plates are separated by a rift. 

It reminds me of spaced armour: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced_armour

IMHO those "armour plates" look better than the windows on your Demios.

One of the things to keep in mind is that you are referencing an HTL version that wasnt done by Volition, so that concept, while cool looking, isnt necessarily and original feature from the original Deimos.

Also keep in mind that this isn't the Deimos thread  :P
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Hades

To be fair, it's kind of both now as I had posted Deimos and stuff in here, so it fits in.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Hades

http://p3d.in/U4plL

Still need to redo the radar dishes, do the light turrets, antennae, and finish up some detailing here and there as well as the engine subsystem.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Looks really good, though the underside is a bit bland (I assume that's the unfinished area).
Can't wait to see it finalized.

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
Looking good!  :yes:

However, one request, is it possible to have animated launch bay doors? :nervous:
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline Hades

That's a possibility. I'll get that looked into as soon as I get my computer recovered from the format I had to do today.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
NEIN

The original didn't have friggen doors.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Can we have the mainhalls built in like on the Hatty?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Hades

NEIN

The original didn't have friggen doors.
**** sucks man, I don't give a damn if the original did or not.

Can we have the mainhalls built in like on the Hatty?
Perhaps, perhaps. It's not really something that ever comes into play in the actual gameplay, however, so I don't think so.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I think Orion mainhall inside is kinda necessary, considering almost all new models have it in some form these days. That's a nice eyecandy, I think they're an important addition, making mainhalls much less abstract.
Also, it'd be a nice idea to add doors, just make sure the ship also looks good with them removed. There are missions in which this could be a potential problem, but it's much easier to remove the doors later than to add them.

Offline Hades

I don't think it's so important to add mainhalls to the ingame modeld ships because there's rarely ever a time in gameplay where you see them or go inside of the hangarbay to see them, and would frankly be wasted time and polygons that I feel would be better spent on the hull or not on the model at all.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Right. I mean WHO in there right mind would model a detailed fighter bay? Especially in ships like the Orion... or Arcadia...

;)
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Hades

The Arcadia is different though. It's a stationary object that one does fly around and close to the fighterbay in a few missions, plus the fighterbay isn't as deep into the mesh as an Orion's would be.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Crybertrance

I would have also preferred a modeled fighterbay, but, I would rather the extra detail be elsewhere, where it is more visible and prominent. So, animated bay-doors would be nice. (you could add a rough mainhall texture behind the door to give the illusion of an actual bay?).
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command

Offline Hades

Realistically, you'd need two doors, with space inbetween enough for any fighter or bomber craft, for the hangarbay. That way, when launching, the door closer to the inside opens, the fighter goes in, it closes, air is sucked out of the room so that it isn't lost to space, and the outside door opens, and the fighter exits.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Crybertrance

Yeah, but REALISM, IN MA FREESPACE :hopping:!?

More seriously though, how would you explain the mainhalls of the Orion, they clearly have a big wide gaping hole through the hull of the ship. While you can argue that the mainhall is just an observation room/maintenance are of the ship with a big window, It doesn't explain the Vasudan mainhall/Psamtik/Hattie.