Author Topic: GTF Hydra (heavy assault fighter WIP)  (Read 25560 times)

GTF Hydra (heavy assault fighter WIP)
RELEASE EDIT NOTE:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0x74m3avflihvnl/Hydra_Conversion.rar

The fighter is ready to use. The screenshot was taken on 3.8.0 build

Model and textures were done by me. Nyctaeus took care of mapping and coversion job.

If you notice any problems/bugs, please notify us ASAP :)

Dev thread:

Hello guys :)
 Some time ago I decided to start learning how to use Blender to bring some of my ideas into reality. This project was inspired by guys from Diaspora and their Strike Viper :) I'm going to make a double seat re- make of the Ezechiel. Actually it will only have the basic shape of Ezechiel, because it's strike version will be bigger and equipped with different weapons and devices. So here is the picture.
Strike Hydra (View in 3D)

If you like/ dislike it or whatever, please comment or criticise ;) I would be specially grateful for any kind of technical advices or clues from more experienced modellers. I will try to update this thread as often as I can ;)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 07:31:15 am by Col.Hornet »

Re: GTF Hydra (heavy assault fighter WIP)
This isn't a critique on the form, really, but on the technical side of the model. The stage you are at should have fewer polys. Something under a hundred faces would probably be right.

You'll find that it get's very awkward to model with that many polygons.

I like the drawing, though. It'll be a nice ship when it's finished.

yeah, I've just noticed that. Making that fin on the top of the hull was a little bit problematic. In next  post I will show you the mesh with less polys, ready for the next phase of building :)

Offline Aesaar

I love the idea and the concept you've drawn.  I'll be keeping an eye on this.  bobbtmann said the only thing that needed to be said at this stage.

http://p3d.in/9adZO

I reduced the amount of polygons and changed the shape of the cockpit glass to more visible. Now it should be fine.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 03:20:07 pm by Col.Hornet »

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Please, take this as a friendly advice: don't be shy in your modeling. It's seams that you're trying too hard on this part of the model.
In my experience it is best to get the rough 3D form quickly (as a kind of sketch). Then you can refine it.
This kind of process will be faster than trying to get it *perfect* on the first run. It's not that I want you to rush your work, but there's not much to comment on when the shape is not complete. Anyway, you'll be iterating through your mesh even if you don't want to (I know I always do). I don't want to be mean. Your model does look like your concept and I don't see any bad things to point out. But it's just that there's not much there either.
tl;dr: you have a good concept, keep moving and don't get stuck with getting things perfect.
I'll be watching your progress!  :yes:

EDIT: added proper english
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 03:34:58 am by The Dagger »

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Col. Hornet, it's pretty much what Dagger said: Modelling is like any other sort of "art" (drawing, sculpting, etc). Big shapes\forms first, then refine. The idea is that at any moment of the process, the model should be "complete" :)
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Creating this little thing gives me so much joy :).
Now I'm working on wings shape

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
i like the shape :) good work
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Wings finished, now I'm moving to create a basic shape of the main missile pods. I've also put a simple blocks to create a feeling of engine's presence :).

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Zajebiste :D [It mean very, very, VERY awesome].
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Now, that's more like it! You really got the feeling of the Ezechiel right. :yes:

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Better now, in terms of process. :)
Think that this one doesn't look as sturdy as the original, though. The original Ezechiel looks so great due to very subtle proportions. Kiight be worth having the original model inside this new one while you're working.
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Humble progress.
Raven, I understand your point. During my work, I'm trying to keep balance between original proportions and my design. Like I said on the beginning. This craft will be bigger and differently equipped than original Ezechiel and that's why some parts will have a different size. I've already changed the shape of the missile pods (they still require a lot of work), to make them more solid looking. I found the original ones a little bit fragile in the point where they are attached to the wings. However it may be only my weird point of view :D)

http://p3d.in/jrsMO

Here comes the new idea for wings. I decided to change it, because I found it extremely messy and hard to edit. I hope that you will enjoy it just like the first one :)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
It's good, now it's also like the Aurora :cool:
el hombre vicio...

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Coolness of the Hydra is incrasing :D. I can't wait to see it finished with textures by... You know who :P
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Here it comes. Update :D I'm finally satisfied with the missile pod's shape. I wanted them to look a little bit like F 16's travel pods.
http://p3d.in/jrsMO

Result of a night modelling with Mike Oldfield's music :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S95DzFvele8

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
Can't wait to use this :)
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>
  /  \ All the Single Ladies

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.