Author Topic: Fire rates for wingmen and enemy  (Read 2021 times)

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Fire rates for wingmen and enemy
So I'm not sure where to ask this question, so the general modding thread seems as good a place as any. Default FS2 enemy and wingmen AI seem to have a throttled fire rate, as opposed to mine where I just hold the trigger down. However, I know it can be changed, because Diaspora has machine guns, and the AI use them quite effectively. Is there some .tbl file I can edit to make FS2 AI do the same? Trying to add some spice to this game. Currently playing Freespace Blue with 3.7.4.
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Re: Fire rates for wingmen and enemy
Yeah, I managed to stumble on that, but now I'm trying to figure out how to write a .tbl. Do I edit something from inside a .vp file? Do I write one myself? Do I write a tbm instead? What specific format for that tbl do I use? This is pretty much the first time I've ever tried modding.

edit:

okay so I have this written out, and I think it's right?

#AI Profiles

$Default Profile
$Primary Ammo Burst Multiplier: 1.1, 1.1, 1.1, 1.1, 1.1
#End
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 08:57:09 pm by Ghost »

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
If you don't want to reproduce the entire table, you need to use a tbm, not a tbl.
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Tbm

Also, to modify the AI fire rates you want these values:

$Friendly AI Fire Delay Scale:
$Hostile AI Fire Delay Scale:
$Friendly AI Secondary Fire Delay Scale:
$Hostile AI Secondary Fire Delay Scale:

Don't edit the VP files, create data/tables inside your mods directory, and put the files there. You can extract the table from a VP and use it as a base, that'll get most of the "boilerplate" entries correct for you.

Happy modding! :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You don't need to bother with any of these shenanigans if you're playing FreeSpace Blue!

Just extract the ai.tbl from bpc-core.vp, place it in bpcomplete/data/tables, and add the following beneath every AI class used in retail:

$Friendly AI Fire Delay Scale:             1.0,    1.0,    1.0,    1.0,    1.0
$Hostile AI Fire Delay Scale:             1.0,    1.0,    1.0,    1.0,    1.0

You can steal other stuff from the BP ai classes towards the bottom of the table if you feel like mixing it up even more.

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
You don't need to bother with any of these shenanigans if you're playing FreeSpace Blue!

Just extract the ai.tbl from bpc-core.vp, place it in bpcomplete/data/tables, and add the following beneath every AI class used in retail:

$Friendly AI Fire Delay Scale:             1.0,    1.0,    1.0,    1.0,    1.0
$Hostile AI Fire Delay Scale:             1.0,    1.0,    1.0,    1.0,    1.0

You can steal other stuff from the BP ai classes towards the bottom of the table if you feel like mixing it up even more.

Awesome, thanks General! What exactly do those numbers do? I'm reading on the modular tables wiki that it controls the 'fire wait,' is that how long it waits to pull the trigger between shots?

edit: this made the game a lot harder
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 12:14:43 am by Ghost »

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

Fire delay scale is a multiplier applied to enemy Fire wait. The 5 numbers are the value on each difficulty. So with retail FS2 or mediaVPs the AI will fire 4 times slower on "Very Easy" but will have no penalty on insane. You can simply set every value to 1 so that they have no penalty on any difficulty or just play on Insane.
$AI turn time scale: does similar things but for turn rate instead of fire rate.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 06:16:07 am by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
edit: this made the game a lot harder
Yeah, letting the AI shoot at you more often will, in fact, make the game harder. :lol:
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.