Author Topic: How to make a Knossos jump look right?  (Read 4155 times)

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
How to make a Knossos jump look right?
I think this is my final question before release!

I'm not sure how to make a non-player ship jump in from a Knossos. The ship is placed with its nose right in the center of the ring (with the intention of having the warp effect be in the center of the Knossos), but when it jumps in it moves the whole Knossos along with it (looking at the wireframe view in FRED it seems that the "empty" center of the Knossos is actually part of the model, so the ship in question is just pushing the Knossos along). How did  :v-old: make things come from a Knossos, anyway?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: How to make a Knossos jump look right?
That ship is ****ed up.

Add them both to a collision group together with that one sexp that does collision groups. Or set the Knossos to be immobile.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Or set the Knossos to be immobile.

My colleague is of course referring to the last option in the left hand collum of the Ship Status-dialgoue of the Ship Editor in FRED:

A picture to replace my inability to make the location sound less convoluted

It will make the Knossos stay on it coordinates no matter what you do - blasts, kinetic weapons, collisions etc etc.

There is also a SEXP to do that on the fly, called: set-immobile, in the "Change"-"Coordinate Manipultion"-category

Add them both to a collision group together with that one sexp that does collision groups.

add-to-collision-group, from the "Change"-"Models and Textures"-category

How did  :v-old: make things come from a Knossos, anyway?

Illusions!
The Knossos is an example for some good old optical trickery. You may notice that in every mission the Knossos is in, you always kept in front of it by the action - often too close to see it as a whole. Only "Flaming Sword" has you regularly move out to observe it from a distance.

As such you never really see where the "line" from which ships come from are, allowing slight inaccuracies to be overlooked. Plus  :v-old: never actually has larger ships pass through the middle but always slightly off-centre. You just don't notice because you are never at a position to really see it.

You can do the same by simply going through the "natural view point" of your mission, i.e. where player is looking at the start and where they are guided to look at by the initial action, and make sure that your jumping ship is never visible from an angle that allows the player to see the ship not passing the "right point".
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 11:03:19 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Actually, the code takes a ship making a Knossos-style jump and locates a nearby Knossos-type ship and forces it to jump from in from the middle (jumping out, of course, would look weird if the ship teleported first).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Illusions!
The Knossos is an example for some good old optical trickery. You may notice that in every mission the Knossos is in, you always kept in front of it by the action - often too close to see it as a whole. Only "Flaming Sword" has you regularly move out to observe it from a distance.

As such you never really see where the "line" from which ships come from are, allowing slight inaccuracies to be overlooked. Plus  :v-old: never actually has larger ships pass through the middle but always slightly off-centre. You just don't notice because you are never at a position to really see it.

You can do the same by simply going through the "natural view point" of your mission, i.e. where player is looking at the start and where they are guided to look at by the initial action, and make sure that your jumping ship is never visible from an angle that allows the player to see the ship not passing the "right point".

Wow, thanks, that's cool. I never thought about this!

I'll try checking off "Does Not Move" and see what happens.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Wow, I can't believe this.

I checked Does Not Move and it still moves. It just gets shoved by this juggernaut-sized ship I have coming through it.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Try collision groups, put them both in collision group 1

Offline HLD_Prophecy

I don't know how to make collision groups... ?

EDIT: Okay, correction, I found the symbolic expression that does that... is there anything else I need to do?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 03:10:46 pm by PVD_Hope »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter

I checked Does Not Move and it still moves.
That sounds like a bug; anything set to be immobile should never move under any circumstances. However, it may be that something is clearing its immobile status...
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

I checked Does Not Move and it still moves.
That sounds like a bug; anything set to be immobile should never move under any circumstances. However, it may be that something is clearing its immobile status...

I really can't think of anything that would be doing that.

I do have its rotating subsystems locked from the start of the mission...

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Hey, sorry that I forgot to say -

Happy Thanksgiving guys!  :cool:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

I don't know how to make collision groups... ?

EDIT: Okay, correction, I found the symbolic expression that does that... is there anything else I need to do?

Somebody posted instructions right in this thread on how to make collision groups.

Put them both in group 1 after they've arrived

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Couldn't you temporarily give the Knossos a no-collide flag with sexps?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

I checked Does Not Move and it still moves. It just gets shoved by this juggernaut-sized ship I have coming through it.

Have you tried "no collision"?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Have you tried "no collision"?

No, I will try...

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Adding both the Knossos and the ship that's jumping in to a collision group (set to trigger after the ship that's jumping in arrives) results in a  really weird case where the ship jumps in right on top of the player.

Yeah I can't make heads or tails out of it.

EDIT: No wait, it works. I had added the ship that was jumping in to the collision group (after it arrived) but I was adding the Knossos to the collision group from the start of the mission.

Making sure that both the ship and the Knossos were added only after the ship had jumped in fixed the problem, now the ship just runs nicely through the center.

Awesome! Thanks so much guys!

you didn't hear it from me, but

RELEASE TIME IS NEAR  :wakka:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 02:38:12 pm by PVD_Hope »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Actually, the code takes a ship making a Knossos-style jump and locates a nearby Knossos-type ship and forces it to jump from in from the middle (jumping out, of course, would look weird if the ship teleported first).

This.  PVD_Hope, you need to select "special warpin" in the ship flags dialog.  No need to mess around with collision groups or immobile objects.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Why hasn't anyone just made a new Knossos model?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Why hasn't anyone just made a new Knossos model?

Well, there is the 2010 version that is in the MVPs (the initial discussion of which doesn't read like one of the HLP's finest hours) but I guess you are more interested in the answer to why no one made a version without the invisible boundaries. The answer to which I don't know, but I suspect it has something to do with logistics of having a model made up entriely of rotating and/or unconnected subobjects in retail. (I faintly remember a simlar problem with the Babylon 4 and Babylon 5 models in TBP but I might misremember as those models have static elements)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 08:14:00 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."