Author Topic: Particle Spew Afterburners?  (Read 2003 times)

Particle Spew Afterburners?
Has anyone attempted to use some sort of particle spew for afterburners, instead of afterburner trails? If so, how would one go about implementing this? I have made some cool visual effects for weapons using .eff files and particle spew, and now I'm curious about doing it to spaceships.

If this has never been done before...how difficult would it be to do?

EDIT:

I got this working, it was much more straightforward than I imagined. However, there are some minor issues that I am trying to troubleshoot. (http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=92854.msg1835799#msg1835799)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 11:48:13 am by Erebus Alpha »
"Obviously the meson bomb is a form of cat-toast-device, with the buttered toast inverted, so that the cat and toast both fly in the direction of gravity much faster than expected. By introducing artificial gravity, a pair of cat-toast perpetual motion accelerator units can be made to collide with one another, and they produce an unimaginably devastating explosion. Both cats are named 'Meson'."

- Wikileaks 2383

Re: Particle Spew Afterburners?
Hmm, I'm pretty sure I've seen this somewhere before, probably in Wings of Dawn, so I'd say this is very much possible.

Have looked into the ships table options on the wiki to see if there was anything relating to it ?

Have looked into the ships table options on the wiki

Is this what you're referring to?

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I recall seeing a .tbl for that in a WIP mod I happen to have... might be an offshoot of scripting.tbl...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Have looked into the ships table options on the wiki

Is this what you're referring to?
Possibly :nervous:... I don't know how the effect is achieved, but I seem to recall seeing some fighters with sparkly afterburners (probably in Spoon's Wings of Dawn).

Maybe it's done through lua scripting and there's an AB particle spew script somewhere, maybe it's done through tables, I don't know.

But I do think it's been done before.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
InfR1U uses this frequently. I cannot find any single script file assigned to this so I guess it was implemented directly into engine long time ago. We're using it via modular -shp table.

Here is sample table entry:
Code: [Select]
$Name: GTF Mihos
+nocreate
$Thruster Particles:
$Thruster Particle Bitmap: TerrEng
$Min Radius: 0.3
$Max Radius: 0.35
$Min Created: 1
$Max Created: 3
$Variance: 0.001
$Thruster Particles:
$Afterburner Particle Bitmap: ehit-red
$Min Radius: 0.4
$Max Radius: 0.70
$Min Created: 2
$Max Created: 3
$Variance: 0.0001

Make a new modular ship table and change GTF Mihos to your desired class, change effects and check it out.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 02:54:54 pm by Betrayal »
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I cannot find any single script file assigned to this so I guess it was implemented directly into engine long time ago.
Not that you can write a script to add new table entries; if you tried it, you'd just get parsing errors for your ship table when it encountered unknown symbols.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

I tried it out on the Mara - it's very cool! However, I did notice a couple of issues:

Strangely, when zooming out, it seems that the particles disappear. It's as if they have a minimum draw distance. Is it possible to raise that minimum draw distance without a severe performance hit? Or does FSO crash if it tries to draw a half-million particles?

Also, when executing sharp turns, the particles seem to periodically disappear.

For troubleshooting purposes, I am using a .eff, composed of 20 corresponding .dds files. I don't know if that has an impact, but this issue does not exist for weapon projectile particle spews.
"Obviously the meson bomb is a form of cat-toast-device, with the buttered toast inverted, so that the cat and toast both fly in the direction of gravity much faster than expected. By introducing artificial gravity, a pair of cat-toast perpetual motion accelerator units can be made to collide with one another, and they produce an unimaginably devastating explosion. Both cats are named 'Meson'."

- Wikileaks 2383