Author Topic: Help please!  (Read 17207 times)

This is my first time posting here.

I am trying to convert the Ferret from Klav's Wing Commander models pack to work with wcsaga. I cleaned up the model and checked for any problems and it looks ok. I converted it with pcs2 using the tables and hard point locations from the default wcsaga Ferret. However I can never seem to get it to show up in wcsaga or FRED. I am running out of ideas on how to fix it!

I have attached a copy of the vp file and the sources used via dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b928wyqrdhwun9z/Ferret.rar?dl=0

If anyone can tell me what I'm missing it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Your table file is incorrect (Something a debug build will yell at you for; I think WCS have released those). The first line in your tbm must be "#Ship Classes", and the last line must be "#End", else the engine will not be able to load things.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Thanks for the advice. I fixed the table file. I also found the debug build of wcsaga. I had a missing moment of inertia. I fixed that in pcs2. Now my main problem is the game crashes when it tries to makew an ibx file or lode the Ferret.pof file. Could it be that the model has too many polys or the textures are too big?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I think the issue is more that the model is hilariously bad. You should, as a first measure, delete all LODs except for LOD0; this will make the model file much smaller.
Second, WCS' builds are hundreds upon hundreds of revisions behind FSO. We've sped up the generation of cache files by an immeasurable amount (To the point where we no longer bother writing out the cache files to disk because loading them takes longer than generating them). The "crash" you're seeing is just WCS taking ages to generate the cache (a process which will be sped up by removing the superfluous LODs).

I tried it again using a simple cube for the model. It imported ok. Looks like you are right. I need to simplify the model.

Thanks for your help!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I tried it again using a simple cube for the model. It imported ok. Looks like you are right. I need to simplify the model.

The basic problem here is that this model is not made with in-game use in mind. It's a 54k poly model that really should not use more than 10k; there's a LOT of areas (for example the cockpit glass and the nose) that can and should be much simpler than they are.

Yeah, I got it down to about 30k and it loads now.

Thanks again for all your help!

Well, I have imported a lot of models. Now I am trying to add a beam weapon to one ship. I tried copying the assets and table entries from the default large red beam weapon. After importing it into the game the ship won't fire. Does anyone know what I am missing?

The ship name is the Sivar.

Link to mod vp file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oanm8pxmufaiibq/WC1.rar?dl=0

Offline Axem

I'm guessing you'll need to beam-free-all your ship with the large red beam weapon. By default, beam turrets are locked. Either do it in a sexp or click "all ships beam freed all by default" in the mission specs.

Thanks! That was the problem.

Now when I try the mission there is no sound from the beam when it fires.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Most likely when you copied the beam in, you copied the sounds information from Freespace 2 along with it. If WCS uses a different sounds.tbl or *-snd.tbm (I think that's right) for their sounds - and they almost certainly do - then the number identifying the correct sound to play for beam weapons firing may either not link to anything, or link to a sound file that isn't included in WCS.

Check the beam entry against the relevant table, and import the sounds that you need into your mod's data folder.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

I imported the sounds for the beam weapon into my mods sounds folder and made a *-snd.tbm file but there are still no sounds when the beam fires.

Ok, next problem.

I'm trying to add 3D cockpits. I have tried using the $Cockpit POF file: command but no 3D cockpit is visible in cockpit view.

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
What ship are you using it with.  Only a very few ships Scooby made have cockpit POFs...
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

I'm just using the GenericCP.pof cockpit with one of my adapted models. Is there a specific format or filename I should be using?

Never mind, I figured it out!

I'm trying to get  the WCS Open Alpha to work with fs2_open_3_6_16_SSE. I figured out how to get past the login screen but some ship models are distorted or have the wrong textures showing. I have uploaded pictures of the Drayman in default Saga (before) and Saga open (after).

Here is a link to my mod: https://www.dropbox.com/s/57r97hhth8ybavc/WC1ships25.rar?dl=0

Thank you all for your help!

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I'm trying to get  the WCS Open Alpha to work with fs2_open_3_6_16_SSE.
...Why? It ought to work just fine with 3.7.4; using a massively outdated version like 3.6.16 is just asking for trouble as there have been plenty of bugs fixed in the meantime.

(Additionally: SSE? You'd have to have a CPU from a very specific, very old date range to support SSE but not SSE2.)
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

My thinking was 3.6.16 SSE is the closest version to the version Saga uses so the differences would be minor.

The good news is that 3.7.4 works with the models.

The autopilot sexps generate error messages and the ships struggle to get out of the hangar as if there is an invisible wall there. I would also like to remove some of the added hud gauges and engine effects. Looks like these were some of the problems with the original mod. I think I will be learning a lot about freespace modding in the days ahead.

thanks again for all the help.

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Yeah, never use an outdated version.  Since the Saga team forked the code and made their own changes, it won't be helpful to use an older build with WCS open.  I looked at these missions a while back; one can resolve the carrier invisible wall issue with collision groups.  Here is how a replacement init mission event would look in the first prologue mission:

Code: [Select]
$Formula: ( when
   ( true )
   ( add-nav-waypoint
      "Nav 1"
      "Waypoint Nav 1"
   )
   ( add-nav-waypoint
      "Nav 2"
      "Waypoint Nav 2"
   )
   ( add-nav-waypoint
      "Nav 3"
      "Waypoint Nav 3"
   )
   ( add-nav-waypoint
      "Nav 4"
      "Waypoint Nav 4"
   )
   ( ship-guardian-threshold
      ( rand-multiple 13 79 )
      "Alpha 1"
   )
      ( rand-multiple 13 37 )
      "Alpha 3"
   )
      ( rand-multiple 13 37 )
      "Alpha 4"
   )
      ( rand-multiple 13 79 )
      "Hotel 3"
   )
      ( rand-multiple 13 79 )
      "Alpha 4"
      "Bravo 2"
   )
      ( rand-multiple 13 79 )
      "Alpha 3"
      "Bravo 1"
   )
      ( rand-multiple 13 79 )
      "Hotel 2"
      "Bravo 4"
   )
      ( rand-multiple 13 79 )
      "Hotel 4"
      "Bravo 3"
   )
      ( rand-multiple 13 79 )
      "Hotel 1"
   )
   ( play-sound-from-table 0 0 0 162 )
   ( player-use-ai )
   ( add-goal
      "Alpha 2"
      ( ai-play-dead 50 )
   )
   ( hide-jumpnode "Eddings Jump Point" )
   ( add-to-collision-group "Alpha 2" 0 )
   ( add-to-collision-group "Alpha 1" 0 )
   ( add-to-collision-group "Alpha 3" 0 )
   ( add-to-collision-group "Alpha 4" 0 )
   ( add-to-collision-group
      "TCS Wellington"
   )
)
;;   ( lock-controls ( true ) )

+Name: Init Mission
+Repeat Count: 1
+Interval: 1
+Team: 0

By adding the carrier and fighters being launched to collision group 0, they will pass smoothly out of the hangar.  What errors were you getting with autopilot?

I'd always intended to pick WC Saga up after clearing out a bunch of other things, anyway.  Keep posting your questions here.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.