Author Topic: Looking For A New Way To Warp In  (Read 4440 times)

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Looking For A New Way To Warp In
We all know the convetional way for ships to jump in: The Subspace Vortex. Is it possible to have a different way like the Startrek Warp Effect? I will very much appreciate it if somebody teach me the mechanics of it. Just show me the way. :)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: Looking For A New Way To Warp In
There's the $Warpin Type: ships.tbl setting which has a few alternative options, although none strictly match the Star Trek effect, Hyperspace might be close.

Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
A galactica warpin with the apropriate sound and effect should do, see diaspora for examples
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
How about having an insanely high warpin-warpout speed and then place them on the FRED grid at extreme distance for arrival?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Perfect for my Romulan ships. I'll do a combination of parameters. Warp in type, sound, and warp in speed. That should be close. Thanks for the help, guys. :) :yes:

How about having an insanely high warpin-warpout speed and then place them on the FRED grid at extreme distance for arrival?

I think you would have the same side effect that was shown in the warp-out scene of the final battle in Rogue One, i.e. the Resistance transport crashing against the star destroyer that had just arrived. Basically you cannot warp-out/in if your vector is pointing/going through another object...

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Perfect for my Romulan ships.

Romulan ships don't warp in, they decloak (even the drone ship in ST: Enterprise never warped in looking like itself). It is one of the Star Trek-franchise staples (until the Kelvin-timeline came along) to clearly distinguish them and reinforce the concept that they are the sneaky (and in TNG) plotting people.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie

I think you would have the same side effect that was shown in the warp-out scene of the final battle in Rogue One, i.e. the Resistance transport crashing against the star destroyer that had just arrived. Basically you cannot warp-out/in if your vector is pointing/going through another object...
It'll just require some mission scripting to ensure that nothing is in the way for an arriving or departing ship.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

I've tried that before and I have to say it's harder than it sounds. You'll want to do it in Lua, because raytracing via SEXP sounds painful.

You'd think you can just carefully pick arrival/departure vectors, but the AI has a fetish for colliding with things - and you have very little control of where the player ship is. It can be done, but you're basically giving up the ability to use shock-jumps.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Perfect for my Romulan ships.

Romulan ships don't warp in, they decloak (even the drone ship in ST: Enterprise never warped in looking like itself). It is one of the Star Trek-franchise staples (until the Kelvin-timeline came along) to clearly distinguish them and reinforce the concept that they are the sneaky (and in TNG) plotting people.

No, they do not warp in. I only call them "Romulans" because I used romulan models, the Valdore. In my sequel, in the world of "The Aftermath," I call them Arcturians. Absolutely no reference to Startrek. Any names of ship or characters or tech used in the mod are purely a homage. :)

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
I've tried that before and I have to say it's harder than it sounds. You'll want to do it in Lua, because raytracing via SEXP sounds painful.

You'd think you can just carefully pick arrival/departure vectors, but the AI has a fetish for colliding with things - and you have very little control of where the player ship is. It can be done, but you're basically giving up the ability to use shock-jumps.

Yeah, I am well aware of that. It will be a daunting task pulling that off. But I like that kind of task. It will take a lot of testing and experimenting. I love torturing my brain. :)

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
I was able to get this working perfectly. Warp in and warp out. But... I have a problem with sound. I place the "$Warpin Sound Start" and its "End" counterpart with a filename entry as it says in the Wiki. The sound file is stored in the "sounds" folder. But there is no sound. I need to do more testing.

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
Did you table in your sound in sounds.tbl or a mod-sounds.tbm
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
So it's not a filename. I thought it was a direct read like "play from file" SEXP. This is relatively easy. Thanks, JSR.

Oh one more thing, I deliberately placed an Orion destroyer right in their warp out and warp in path and see what happens. When the ships did their hyperspace animation, they pass through! He he. I find it hilarious. Great care must be done in mission design.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 12:06:38 am by herkie423 »

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Well, I thought it was easy. It should be straight forward but it is actually complicated or rather confusing to me.

I made a "*-snd.tbm" file (I also have a "sounds.tbl file)

--------------------------------------
#Game Sounds Start

$Name: HyperIN
    +Filename: NBeamDown
    +Preload: no
    +Volume: 0.9
    +3D Sound:
        +Attenuation start: 1000
        +Attenuation end: 4000

$Name: SonicBOOM
    +Filename: MassD
    +3D Sound:

$Name: HyperOUT
    +Filename: NBeamUP
    +3D Sound:

#Game Sounds End
----------------------------------------

The sounds used here are also indexed in my "sounds.tbl" which are temporary, only for testing. I used the beam rev up and rev down, and the mass driver sound effect for sonic boom. I will creat new ones if I am successful with this.

The warp entry in my "ships.tbl" for the asset is as follows:

-----------------------------------------
$Warpin Type:   Hyperspace
$Warpin Start Sound: HyperIN
$Warpin End Sound: SonicBOOM
$Warpin Time: 5.0
$Warpin Decel Exp: 10
$Warpout Type: Hyperspace
$Warpout Start Sound: HyperOUT
$Warpout End Sound: SonicBOOM
$Warpout Time: 5.0
$Warpout Accel Exp: 10
------------------------------------------

Visually, I get this working as I want it to but no sounds. Initially, I followed the syntax mentioned in Wiki (string, filename) for the "$Warpin Start Sound" and "$Warpin End Sound" parameters and the matching Warp out sound parameters using the actual filenames with .ogg extensions. No sound. Then I took out the extensions. No dice. I change the entries using their index numbers defined in my Sounds.tbl. Nothing. Now, JSR adviced me to make a "-snd.tbm" which I did. Still nothing. I change the entries again using the name as defined by the "$Name" parameter in my TBM file. No cigar...I adjusted the attenuation entries to their possible maximum (the values for my massive explosion sounds) because I suspected that origin of the hyperspace effect might be the key here. When the ship warps out and goes off to a far far distance, I still see it in my radar then it disappears. So the effect origin must be some 100k kilometers. We cannot hear the effect.

My possible solution for this is to disable the 3D sound parameter and treat it as a HUD sound. I can do that in the Sounds.tbl file but I'm not sure how to do it in a "-snd.tbm" file. More research needed....

If I can not pull this off,... Well, there is always a FRED workaround and it's messy considering there will be around 20 of them warping in... and warping out.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
"$Warpin Type: Hyperspace" doesn't play sound effects.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

If I can not pull this off,... Well, there is always a FRED workaround and it's messy considering there will be around 20 of them warping in... and warping out.

I'd need to do some research, but there's probably scripted solution.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
"$Warpin Type: Hyperspace" doesn't play sound effects.

Yeah. Just as I have suspected. Thanks for the info, Admiral.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!

I'd need to do some research, but there's probably scripted solution.

Thanks, Xeno. A script is the solution.