Author Topic: This Week's Game of Thrones Finale *All kinds of spoilers*  (Read 5107 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
This Week's Game of Thrones Finale *All kinds of spoilers*
Just.... dayum.

(And yes, that's all I'm posting. If you don't get it, you haven't seen it yet, and I don't want to spoil anything)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 07:37:16 pm by karajorma »
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I don't even watch/read it, but damn indeed.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
If you've read this far just to figure out what Sandwich is talking about, it's Game of Thrones, and it's super spoilery. Stop reading now if you don't want to know.

That was ****ing hard to watch. The imagery of Bran on one hand laying there completely vulnerable and innocent looking, disappearing into the fog and snow, while simultaneously effectively murdering Hodor and robbing him of a normal life... that last scene of young fat Hodor seizing... Fuuuuck. And all on the heels of Summer getting ripped apart.

Also, the actress playing Meera Reed hasnt had much to do this season, but what she's done, she's done well. Really sold the fear.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Yeah that was pretty tough to watch. :(
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Game of Thrones - The Door
Changed the title to something less spoilery. And Sandwich you should be ****ing ashamed of yourself that I had to do it.

As for the episode itself, I have no idea how Martin managed to sit on something like that for as long as he did. Hodor has been a fan favourite for years.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Re: This Week's Game of Thrones - The Door *All kinds of spoilers*
Spoiler:
Just one more reason for me to hate that kid. I never liked his part of the story, neither in the books or the series. And to be honest the loss of the wolf was more painful to watch then Hodor's final moments. Such a senseless deaths, caused by a boring, annoying kid who didn't give a damn about his teacher's warnings. So, my dear Bran. Do your job <which I suppose will be very important for the story as a whole> and die ASAP. Make some room on the screen for some interesting characters :D. I simply can't stand this character.>

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Re: Game of Thrones - The Door
As for the episode itself, I have no idea how Martin managed to sit on something like that for as long as he did. Hodor has been a fan favourite for years.

Sit on what? I mean, there's no reason to assume that any given individual thing that happens in the show will happen in the books.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, except for the things that are actually confirmed as coming from the books, which apparently happened for this.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline karajorma

• Administrator

Sit on what? I mean, there's no reason to assume that any given individual thing that happens in the show will happen in the books.

And that's where you're wrong.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/23/game-of-thrones-major-hodor-reveal-came-from-george-rr-martin

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Sure, if you only mean Hodor == HTD then that's apparently from GRRM (and that's why I asked). There's no telling how much of the context or outcome is similar, though. The whole thing could play out almost identically in the books, or the only similarity could be those three words.

Anyway, there's of course pretty much nothing that hasn't been predicted by a fan theory already, so it's not like no one had correctly guessed the meaning of Hodor ages ago already. :D

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I wonder if they will take the opportunity to introduce Coldhands now or if Meera is going to have to pull a Samwise Gamgee and solo carry Bran's limp ass all the way to the Wall?

spoiler, coldhands didn't matter and gurm had no interesting ideas for him (see: dorne, stannis, aegon)
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Sure, if you only mean Hodor == HTD then that's apparently from GRRM (and that's why I asked). There's no telling how much of the context or outcome is similar, though. The whole thing could play out almost identically in the books, or the only similarity could be those three words.

Well either way Martin sat on the reveal that Bran had warged into Hodor and fixated him on that phrase since book one. That's quite an impressive feat given how much people like Hodor and how tempting it must have been to speed up that reveal. If the books do something different from that, it's probably cause Martin came up with an even better idea, not because that was what he planned all along.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Changed the title to something less spoilery. And Sandwich you should be ****ing ashamed of yourself that I had to do it.

I didn't spoil a damn thing, and you know it.

The discussion did... :nervous:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
You posted a major spoiler for the episode in the thread title. Anyone watching the show is going to figure out that the phrase "Hold the door" is going to be important in the episode. Which makes it quite a big spoiler when you haven't heard it yet 50 minutes in.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
You posted a major spoiler for the episode in the thread title. Anyone watching the show is going to figure out that the phrase "Hold the door" is going to be important in the episode. Which makes it quite a big spoiler when you haven't heard it yet 50 minutes in.

Right - and about 4 seconds after you first hear it, you realize the significance. I didn't post what that significance was. Heck, I didn't even post what show I was referring to . :p

But whatever - you weren't wrong to change the title. Thanks for watching out for that sort of thing - I didn't see any way what I posted could be an effective spoiler, but I didn't consider the replies to said initial post.

ANYway, back on topic. Despite what happened there being, strictly speaking, time travel, it didn't feel that way at all. Bran and the Raven had observed the past before, so that aspect wasn't new. I guess the new bit was their (his) influencing the past. But even that, with the connection to warging, didn't seem time-travel-y.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I wonder if they will take the opportunity to introduce Coldhands now or if Meera is going to have to pull a Samwise Gamgee and solo carry Bran's limp ass all the way to the Wall?

Nailed it!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Yeah! Even better, his sudden (re)appearance after 5 seasons means that LS could still be in the cards! More ammo for that theory: Walder Frey had a bit in this ep, the Blackfish is revealed, and the Brotherhood Without Banners are mentioned - all related to LS in some way or another.

LS is coming, mark my words. :D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 06:53:49 pm by Sandwich »

LET'S DISCUSS THE SEASON'S FINALE :D

Spoiler:
So it looks that R+L=J is 99% legit after 10'th episode :P. Starks are back in business and all danyfans shall be cheering as she's rolling in. Sh**** days are coming for the Lannisters with everyone against them.

Oh, and now i truly understand why they call the capital the "King's Landing" xD