Author Topic: Force Feedback [SOLVED :)]  (Read 2391 times)

Offline amatar

Force Feedback [SOLVED :)]
Heyo *again* all :)

I seem to be a regular on this forum lol.

I have a Logitech Wingman Force 3D joystick. I have the proper drivers for it, it tests properly but it doesn't seem to have any FF effects in-game. It works fine cept for that  :confused:

Any ideas? Again thank you to everyone who posts...your help is appreciated!

Chris
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 01:18:49 pm by amatar »

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
I think you have to set a launcher flag for that.  It should be under the "Joystick" tab.
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
The Force Feedback checkbox is under the Joystick section in the Basic Settings tab of the launcher.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline amatar

Ah, the launcher lol...

My first thread on this forum was about the launcher at my resolution using my TV as a monitor...the "Launch" button was cut off at the resolution I am forced to use on it: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=88067.0

The solution was to create a "cmdline_fso.cfg" with the options  I needed on it. I ended up using this code:

Code: [Select]
-missile_lighting -post_process -soft_particles -fxaa -dualscanlines -targetinfo -ship_choice_3d -weapon_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -res 1136x652 -ambient_factor 90 -spec_exp 0.7 -spec_tube 1.0 -spec_point 0.7 -spec_static 1.0 -ogl_spec 15 -bloom_intensity 20
Might there be a way to add the use of force feedback using the cmdline_fso.cfg? If so, what line would I throw in there?

Thank you again for your help :) The community here is awesome!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Alas, that's one of those options that still uses the registry. It should be at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE[\Wow6432Node]\Volition\Freespace2\EnableJoystickFF (at least, that's where I have it).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline deathspeed

• Steam
That's where mine is as well.  :)

Offline amatar

Cool...I just had a look through my registry, found the directory and was just wondering what the value would be.

Thank you for your replies :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 04:35:48 am by amatar »

Offline deathspeed

• Steam
1 for enabled, 0 for disabled.  While you're in there, consider entering 1 for directional hit, too.

Enjoy!!

Offline amatar

Tried it out and it worked beautifully :) My joystick is really loud though LOL

The entries for directional hit would be "DirectionalHit" and 1?

Sorry for asking for this one, but I'm having to create and enter these manually as there are no entries for any of this in my registry (screencap attached)

It's working out great so far though  :yes:

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
"EnableHitEffect", it looks like.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline amatar

Well, seems like everything is looking good :D

The solution was easy and my FF now works like a dream...thank you everyone for your help  :yes: :yes: You guys are right there too...the first time I posted on this forum, I figured it would take a week to get a response, but this community is on top of the ****...awesome :)

I will mark the thread as solved.

I've been playing this game and am getting my ass kicked on the refueling mission where the Thesius gets destroyed...brutal, brutal lol. All-in-all, this game is very, very well done and the devs deserve some serious praise!!! Great job to all of you :cool: