Author Topic: New Eyecandy Thread  (Read 844051 times)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
See, I can't agree that it's bad that the ship is ugly. Look at the current generation of strike craft in the US military. In particular the A-10 Thunderbolt. Yes, "Thunderbolt" is its actual designation. But it's not a pretty plane. It's so ugly it got nicknamed the Warthog. But it's one of the meanest things in the sky, especially in air to mud action. It can carry a heavy payload under its wings, and when that's gone, it still has the heaviest rotary cannon ever built into a fixed wing aircraft. That cannon can actually counterthrust the engines at low speeds, which could drop the plane out of the air if the pilot is not careful. It's why they use short bursts, rather than sustained fire. Nobody ever said it was pretty though. It's just big and mean. And there's nothing wrong with that. Why shouldn't we have a big, mean, ugly-ass fighter for the GTVA?

The A-10 is brutal and vicious-looking, like it could **** your **** up. FreeSpace is chockablock with such brutal designs, and Inferno has had quite a few good ones of its own, so there's no need to resurrect this misshapen monstrosity.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Actually, the A-10 is 'Thunderbolt II'. The actual Thunderbolt was pretty, as far as WW2 planes go (hint, they all look the same)
As for the HTL Vesuvius, I wouldn't mind as long as the firing points get fixed.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
The Razorback, glamorous?

The D, M, or N pretty? You are a silly chap. :p

Regardless, they were at least "stately," if you will.

:)
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline mr.WHO

I think that HTL Vesuvius could actually look decent, but I care more about the final release (it's almost 10 years waiting for R2 :(  ) rather than particular model.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
I think they were aiming for a Christmas release, but couldn't make it.
11th anniversary release, perhaps? In February?
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Sometime next year yes, like my post in the announcement thread said. Doubt it will be as early as Feb though, I'd probably want 1-2 months at the end just for testing.
All though we have to 2013 for the 10th anniversary of R1s actual release, 2011 was the 10th anniversary of the start of the mod. Either way it'll be done and released in its R1+2 completed glory :)

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
Happy New Year, here are some pics of the WIP GVC Selket.

Holy Crap. SHIVANS! Tours

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
She looks lovely. A unique take on Vasudan cruisers, yet she keeps the Vasudan's aesthetics without being too uniform. That's a problem I find with many custom Zod ships - they're either too uniform or they just fail to look Vasudan.

Good work. Even if it's only just a WiP :P  :yes:

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Woo moar zod stuff. I like this one.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
Is that an htl version of the AC Heraklion from ASW? (if I'm wrong please don't get too angry  :nervous:)
Stuff

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Nope, not really. I think they have their own HTL Heraklion.

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
Definitely not, I've been working on updating models that have been a part of inferno for a long time along with at least one original that I've come up on my own to replace older assets. Unless of course that's where the team got the original model then I'm wrong but given the age of the current model I highly doubt it. Thanks again to all for the positive and constructive feedback, it's why we continue to do and show off the things that we do. Also to answer a point that was brought up earlier. The projects progress really depends on the missions at this point and thanks to the hard work of a few of our members (mainly Trivial Psychic who has picked up a lot of the slack here lately, we can't begin to thank him enough) we are getting a lot closer to release then ever before. The artistic work that I and others do for the project at this point are just icing on the cake. Once the missions are done and throughly tested we will release regardless of asset status (Unless of course there is some upgrade that is really close to finishing that may be absolutely worth an extra few weeks but nothing more). I know that most (myself included) if not all team members see potential in continuing to upgrade assets after initial release with the possible release of patches or incremental versions later on once things reach a certain level of excellence. Working with the Inferno team, both on their own assets and the things we have done together for the Freespace Upgrade Project before I joined them, has been both an honor and a privilege. I hope to continue to produce assets for them well into the future.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 02:14:04 am by BrotherBryon »
Holy Crap. SHIVANS! Tours

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Is that an htl version of the AC Heraklion from ASW?
Completely different looking models. The Selket was based on one of Darks Vasudan renders.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
With proper textures, it will be pretty hard to justify that Vasudan models seem to go wrong with every second model... ;)
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

that ship is pretty

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
I love the look of this Vasudan cruiser. It reminds me oldschool renders from Sectorgame. Now just add some polys to it to make it more detailed.
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
I love the look of this Vasudan cruiser. It reminds me oldschool renders from Sectorgame. Now just add some polys to it to make it more detailed.

It's detailed enough as it is.

...Then again, I have pretty low standards.
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I think the modelling looks pretty much done from here. Now it's UV and texturing phase, which can add a lot of detail by itself.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
See, I can't agree that it's bad that the ship is ugly. Look at the current generation of strike craft in the US military. In particular the A-10 Thunderbolt. Yes, "Thunderbolt" is its actual designation. But it's not a pretty plane. It's so ugly it got nicknamed the Warthog. But it's one of the meanest things in the sky, especially in air to mud action. It can carry a heavy payload under its wings, and when that's gone, it still has the heaviest rotary cannon ever built into a fixed wing aircraft that has ever had an aircraft built around it (yes, literally. they designed the aircraft around the gun). That cannon can actually counterthrust the engines at low speeds, which could drop the plane out of the air if the pilot is not careful. It's why they use short bursts, rather than sustained fire. Nobody ever said it was pretty though. It's just big and mean. And there's nothing wrong with that. Why shouldn't we have a big, mean, ugly-ass fighter for the GTVA?

Not to mention, they often use the cannon before the missiles.  It's deadly and efficient, why waste a Maverick on a tank when a .5 second or less burst of 30-mm will finish the job just as well for less $$?

Also, I vote that the Vesuvius be HTLed... make it less of an ugly box and more of an ugly fighter.

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Also, I vote that the Vesuvius be HTLed... make it less of an ugly box and more of an ugly fighter.

Done.  It's now less of an ugly box and more of a sexy fighter. ;7

Pics?  No; we're holding this one off until release. [evil laugh]

R