Author Topic: Ship Production in BP  (Read 1350 times)

To start, as a first time poster, I'd like to say thanks for this wonderful concoction you've created in blue planet!
Anyway... I'm wondering if I were to step through a vishnan manipulated universe gate and arrive in the BP universe 300 years in the future (which could obviously happen at any time!), and started in this new reality by landing a job in taco mart at the local spacedock... what would I see?
Are ships built in a modular system, with individual sectioned warped in from various suppliers and bolted together? Or are they 3D Printed out as complete units? Is it labor intensive or would I be serving tacos to robots?
Being a few hundred years in the future with nearly unlimited energy available offers a while heap of different methods, and being an engineer by trade I need to be prepared!

If they were 3D printed in one go it would be that much harder to carry out running repairs on them, and the modern GTVA puts a great emphasis on being able to keep its ships going with limited or unreliable logistical support. I'd expect a lot of modularity.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline crizza

I think someone said that the Erebus was build modular, so the whole engine section can be replaced and so on.

Offline Rabid

Modularity suggests dependency on fresh modules being shipped in from somewhere.

3d printing suggests a store of elements (harvested wherever and however), as well as a method to mix and mold them into usable shapes\structures\components.
I'd assume 3d printing supplied by gas mining would even be involved in the production of those replacement modules. 

Meanwhile I see minimalistic thruster/subspace drive/command cabin type transports attaching themselves to some of the larger modules, basically acting as subspace tugboats.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 05:35:18 pm by Rabid »