Author Topic: Lighting test for WiH  (Read 49531 times)

Offline NFSRacer

• Professional aircraft crasher!
    • Steam
Well, nevertheless, Sara, that's one heck of a level you did!  That seriously looked like an FS version of the Battle of Endor!
"Said 'It was up to us.  Up to us, to decide.  You've become a virus that eating up it host.  We've been watching you with all our eye, and what you seem to value most.  'So much potential'.  Or so we used to say.  Your greed, self-importance, and your arrogance, you p*** it all away.'" - NIN from Year Zero

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
Without Star Destroyers you mean.
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I would imagine a team effort with Sara and DilmahG would result in a massively epic mission battleground. :D

Offline NFSRacer

• Steam
Without Star Destroyers you mean.

Well, duh!  Why do you think I said "an FS version of the Battle of Endor"?
"Said 'It was up to us.  Up to us, to decide.  You've become a virus that eating up it host.  We've been watching you with all our eye, and what you seem to value most.  'So much potential'.  Or so we used to say.  Your greed, self-importance, and your arrogance, you p*** it all away.'" - NIN from Year Zero

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
I've never before made a point of it to play around with the Fs2 SCP graphical settings. Whoa do they make a big difference! The video that Sara posted looks like a next gen game. I'm impressed. I'm going to keep messing around until I get a similar effect.

I feel like a refugee out of retail land.

Well, Sara, post that level!  I want to play it! :p

It's an Orion being attacked by several frigs. You can FRED it quick if you want. What makes that level so cool is the graphical settings. That's what you should salivating over. Well that background looks pretty sweet too. Ok nevermind. I want that background!!!
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It's not just the graphical settings in the sense of lighting, it's the postprocessing, which is quite new to the engine.

Offline NFSRacer

• Steam
Actually, I was going nuts over how intense the fighting looked.  I mean, that was a big freakin' dogfight!  Looks only count for ten percent in my books.

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
guys i need help...just some question:

1: where have i to paste data folder? in the original fs2 or in the data mod folder?
2: where have i to paste mod file?
thanks again:)

PS: Incredible!!! better than tarr chronicles patch!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 04:30:07 pm by torc »
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline -Norbert-

Just drop the lighting_test_wih folder as it is into the FS2 root directory.
Then choose one of the data_<describtion> folders and rename it into data.
And now select the lighting_test_wih as your current mod.
Provided you have a fitting build and your folder names are as they are supposed to be (blueplanet, blueplanet2 and mediavps_3612) then it will run.

It doesn't work with WoD, I tested it. Or I did something wrong.
I just tried it and for me it worked. All it needed was to change the secondarylist-line in the mod.ini to
Code: [Select]
secondarylist = wings of dawn,mediavps_3612;Though with the very strong saturation settings the Fura'ngle ships are very, very translucent.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 05:53:25 pm by -Norbert- »

I just finished watching the lighting test video and I have one thing to say.

HOLY HELL!

I didn't think the game could look that good.  It felt like I was watching a movie and an epic one at that.  It certainly does have that Battle of Endor feel as has already been mentioned.

You just gave me another reason to replay AOA and WIH Part 1.

EDIT:  Awesome job on creating that mission Sara.  Even if it isn't finished yet it looks amazing.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
So I was asked a short while ago on IRC how to make WiH missions to look like what was seen in Sara's video.

The short answer is that you can't.

The long answer is that the difference in lighting doesn't come from post processing set or command line lighting settings. It's the mission itself. WiH missions were designed to have more realistic lighting than what you're used to in FS campaigns. Without post processing and standard lighting settings this provides grittier atmosphere to the campaign.

But as you have seen, the difference is huge when you use post processing to get less saturation and lighting settings that rely on lighting the mission has. In this regard, I urge you to play several missions from FS2 campaign (with mediavps of course) and BP: Age of Aquarius (not counting missions taking place in Sol). You will notice that the post processing sets and lighting settings provide much better colors and contrast than most if not all WiH missions.

Because of how dark WiH is by its very nature, I had to keep -ambient_factor at 120. In other campaigns, I think value of 60 would work nicely. But of course, it's a matter of taste.

Offline -Norbert-

Is there a way to write the ambient factor into the mod.ini or settings.ini?
I once tried to use
Code: [Select]
[settings]
flags:
in the mod.ini for this, but it didn't work. On the other hand that was back in 3.6.9 or .10

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Nope, there isn't. Which is a shame because mods could really have some control over how their lighting is.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
That's exactly why I asked for custom lighting settings for WiH...
but if I understand you correctly, I guess that would be kinda pointless.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
You can use the lighting settings as detailed in the first post with or without post processing. Low saturation post processing is what doesn't work all that well in WiH. I guess I should have been more clear on that.

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
Please coul you post some video? my intel graphic card don't support post processing (really suks!!!! ) and i'm reallly curious to see some gameplay! thanks again guys!
PS: it should work in btrl too... can you test the mod?
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Video like the one that was linked to in second to last post on first page? Or the one that is currently the first highlight on forum index?

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken