Author Topic: Prologue for Mac OS X Released!  (Read 24360 times)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Re: Prologue for Mac OS X Released!
Wait a sec, is the game shipped with the magazine? :)

Edit: nevermind, it is indeed :)

:lol:

They didn't even bother to ask first?

Not that I know... means: "no" :D
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Have you tried the Mac version of Prolouge? There's a big problem with the Nebula In the level band it's a little glitchy. Whats worse is that this version has gone out to every CD in Macworld. Not good dude. Great game though

Theres also the fact that I can't change the screen resoulution

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Have you tried the Mac version of Prolouge? There's a big problem with the Nebula In the level band it's a little glitchy. Whats worse is that this version has gone out to every CD in Macworld. Not good dude. Great game though

Shouldn't be that way. Can you post a screenshot ?
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga

first of all, we were not asked about the cover CD business. Please be more specific about the problem. And, at nay rate, it is an EXE problem, and should be reported here :)

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Got a problem here - not sure if it is OS X specific - but might be.

Firstly: superlative game so far. Thanks for making an OS X version.

Secondly: I got a problem with an fps drop.

In the prologue, on the 2nd mission (the one after basic flight training), when on my way to the 2nd nav point, the asteroids that are supposed to be in front of me do not appear and the fps drops from at least 30 to 3 or 4. The game is unplayable after this. The fps never gets any higher. Audio continues fine, but fps remains awful and i get Pwned by the pirates.

But, this ONLY happens when I have completed the 1st mission (training), then quit the Wing Commander Saga Prologue application, then restart it and try to play the level later on. If i make a new player and start from the beginning and dont quit between misisions, the 2nd mission runs great all the way through.

This happens every time i try to start the mission. I even tried it with a new player - same thing.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

My specs: MacOS X 10.4.9, Powerbook G4 1.25Ghz, 1.5 GB RAM, 64 MB VRAM, playing with keyboard/mouse.
Macbook Pro 2.4GHz, 4GB, OS X 10.5
http://arvidtp.net

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
:welcome:

I'm not really well informed about the mac version, but for exactly the same problem on windows machines, we made a extra installation option in our installer. It should be there in the mac version too, but I'm not sure.

When installing the game, check if there is a special option "install asteroid performance fix" or something similar.

This is a know bug on some system configurations and we had to create some special (lower poly) asteroid models to get this fixed.
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Hmm - no such option in the mac installer, though I do see it mentioned in the readme.

Also its weird because otherwise asteroids work fine on my machine - My computer is fast enough for the asteroids at something that looks like 30 fps normally. Its just these particular asteroids --- when you have exited the game and restarted it before playing the next level.

When it happens the first group of asteroids in the level appear normally, then when the next group are supposed to, i get an fps drop instead and no asteroids. Its funny because the voice over says "see those rocks in front of us?..." and there are none :)

Can I try to do the asteroid field performance fix manually with files from the windows installer, or somewhere else?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 03:56:28 pm by squidsquasher »

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Yes, sure. I've uploaded it here for you. Just extract the content of the archive into the Prologue's folder.

www.wcsaga.com/downloads/prologue/prologue_asteroids.rar

-WC Saga's beta tester

Thanks!

Worked like a charm. Somebody should post that on the main website under patches with simple instructions.

Offline Chris

Posting here because I think this is a Mac-related problem.
Thanks for trying to bring this to the Mac world. I appreciate the effort, but have been unable to appreciate the game as is....
Prologue will not respond (at all) to any of my nonstandard keys. I use a Swedish keyboard, and I am completely unable to press keys like "+", "-" "/" etc. Keys like Alt-N, Tab, "T", Backspace works fine. I tried changing my keyboard setup to a US setup....same problem. I entered the config area to config my "+" key to increase speed, but the config wont even recognize that I am pressing a key at all when pressing "+". Have tried the first mission several times (and it gets old very quickly), but essentially my only way to change my speed is "M"/alt-M (match speed), Tab and Backspace.
I think the problem applies to all keys that are mapped differently on different keyboards. Read, any keys except letters A-Z,numbers 0-9 and some basic function keys like Tab and Backspace.

P.S. The in-game voiced hint for Alt-M is very confusing ("This will match your speed with every ship you have targeted, even hostiles"). Huh, how can you match speed with several targets? Or do they mean "This will match your current speed with the current ship you have targeted (and change if that ship's speed changes(?)"? And what is the difference between Alt-M and M? My guess is that Alt-M is an ongoing procedure, that changes your speed to the current target speed (and not EVERY ship) as long as it is toggled on, while M sets your speed to the speed of the current target at that instant.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
P.S. The in-game voiced hint for Alt-M is very confusing ("This will match your speed with every ship you have targeted, even hostiles"). Huh, how can you match speed with several targets? Or do they mean "This will match your current speed with the current ship you have targeted (and change if that ship's speed changes(?)"? And what is the difference between Alt-M and M? My guess is that Alt-M is an ongoing procedure, that changes your speed to the current target speed (and not EVERY ship) as long as it is toggled on, while M sets your speed to the speed of the current target at that instant.
You guessed correctly.  Enabling auto-speed-matching by hitting Alt+M forces your ship to match speed with whatever ship you have currently targeted, whether it's friendly or hostile.  Just using the M key matches speed with your current target; when you select a new target (or hit M again), the speed-matching will be turned off.  As for the first part of your post, I'm not sure what issues the FS2_Open may or may not have with non-English keyboard layouts, but hopefully someone who does know about this will be able to give you a hand.

:welcome:

Offline tracker

:sigh: :( no Linux version .......... ???

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
We've decided to put Linux version on hold till the Prologue patch is ready.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
Try WINE. I heard it works, although I didn't have the time to test it myself.
Member of the Scooby Doo model Fanclub "verticies and splines are the medium and he is the artist."

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Yes, you will need wine to install the game. Then you will need to download a Linux binary (or checkout current code from the CVS and compile it on your system)

-WC Saga's beta tester

Download link broken... :(

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
allright, link now points to our website's download section.

-WC Saga's beta tester

I've experienced a bug. I have macbook with resolution 1280x800 but game starts in different (1024x768??).
The resolution isn't a problem but if you move mouse cursor out of screen the game will freeze.

Another thing: if you have "USB Overdrive" installed, joystick does not work.

Regards,
Michael