Author Topic: RELEASE - The Price of Freedom  (Read 68601 times)

Offline Maniac

Re: RELEASE - The Price of Freedom
I've just tried out WC4 but I seem to be having a problem. When a choice pops up to defect to the Border Worlds or not, I can't make the choice - the keyboard isn't working.

Pressing "&" or "é" doesn't work. Nor does Shift-&/é (which means 1 and 2 on Azerty). And using numlock doesn't work either.

Note that I have:
1) an AZERTY keyboard, meaning I need to use shift to get numbers.
2) a laptop without a seperate numeric keypad. Meaning while using NumLock I can't use è!çuiojkl,

Is there any solution to this issue?

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
the key-pressed script will only check if the genuine numeric key is pressed.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Maniac

the key-pressed script will only check if the genuine numeric key is pressed.

Not sure what you mean with "genuine numeric key". :confused: In any case, the script doesn't check if I press 1 or 2 either through Shift-&/é or by using NumLock.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
The script checks for '1' or '2'. Everything else is simply ignored. You could, at least, wait about a minute, by which time the Confederation story line is activated.

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Maniac

The script checks for '1' or '2'. Everything else is simply ignored. You could, at least, wait about a minute, by which time the Confederation story line is activated.

But I'd like to try out the Border World missions but can't because 1 & 2 don't have an effect with me. :(

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I gather that you are using a subnotebook. Can't you connect a keyboard? ;)

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline FlashFire

• Marshall of The Elite
    • The Elite, International
I've just tried out WC4 but I seem to be having a problem. When a choice pops up to defect to the Border Worlds or not, I can't make the choice - the keyboard isn't working.

Pressing "&" or "é" doesn't work. Nor does Shift-&/é (which means 1 and 2 on Azerty). And using numlock doesn't work either.

Note that I have:
1) an AZERTY keyboard, meaning I need to use shift to get numbers.
2) a laptop without a seperate numeric keypad. Meaning while using NumLock I can't use è!çuiojkl,

Is there any solution to this issue?

Buy a USB keyboard? Speaking of... I really miss the roll-up soft keyboard I bought in Korea... I wonder where it got off to...

Anyhow... I agree with Tolwyn that it sounds like you're using a subnotebook, or some other fun piece of hardware that I'm genuinely curious about. But I guess the question I have for you is - why game on this system? If it's your only system, I guess I understand that... but still. I'm confooseled.  :confused:
What a unique device, the human tush. An architectural wonder, one of a kind...actually two of a kind. Designed to support our weight for a lifetime of sitting it also has the subtlety to do the samba. And when attached to certain members of the female species at a time when light summer dresses are worn can cause some of us to drive our cars straight up a lamppost. - Captain Benjamin "Hawkeye" Pierce, M*A*S*H

Offline Maniac

My laptop is a ThinkPad R50e, no subnotebook.

Anyway, I just thought I'd report making script-based choices doesn't work with me. My suspicion is that this might be because WC Saga does not support/recognize AZERTY keyboards/ certain key combinations - a problem which occurs in some other games as well. But judging from your posts, I guess you guys don't think this is a WC Saga-inherent problem? :(

Offline Maniac

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
What a weird keyboard layout....
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Extract the mission using VPView, edit it in notepad, find the key-reset line and simply edit to a key you do have.

VPView's on the tools page of my FAQ.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga

... is also available on our website.

AZERTY keyboard is supposed to be superior to common (QWERTY) keyboard layouts - at least for English.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
AZERTY keyboard is supposed to be superior to common (QWERTY) keyboard layouts
....and Windows Vista is supposed to be superior to Windows XP.......  ;) :D
Member of the Scooby Doo model Fanclub "verticies and splines are the medium and he is the artist."

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Yes, well, uh, I am having fun finding working firewall/anti virus software for Vista x64 ;)

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline FlashFire

• Marshall of The Elite
    • The Elite, International
The common QWERTY keyboard is designed to break up common letter pairs for typewriters, so as the mechanismss wouldn't interfere with each other. This carried on with computer keyboard. The AZERTY keyboard is designed for use in France and Belgium, where the language did not use the same common letter pairs as English. There are a few changes, and yes, shift is needed for the numbers (though I have heard you can swap these somehow).

The keyboard you're thinking of, Tolwyn, is the Dvorak simplified keyboard layout... which is superior for any job that requires non-stop typing, as the letter combinations are much more natural to the English language. This type of layout would never work on a typewriter, but those limitations don't exist on computers. It technically IS superior, with training, for use with the English language.

In short - QWERTY okay, AZERTY for French/Belgian, Dvorak best for English (but not very popular)
What a unique device, the human tush. An architectural wonder, one of a kind...actually two of a kind. Designed to support our weight for a lifetime of sitting it also has the subtlety to do the samba. And when attached to certain members of the female species at a time when light summer dresses are worn can cause some of us to drive our cars straight up a lamppost. - Captain Benjamin "Hawkeye" Pierce, M*A*S*H

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
I hope no one will ever get the strange idea of creating keyboards for every language. I am quite happy with the QWERTY(Z) layout as it is.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Maniac

Extract the mission using VPView, edit it in notepad, find the key-reset line and simply edit to a key you do have.

Thanks for the info! :)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga

Thanks for the info! :)

You will also have to modify the

key-pressed

check. Simply take keys, that your keyboard has. 'A' and 'Z', as an example.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
I have a AZERTY keyboard but I didn't have any problem for selecting choice. Or just go to the keyboard option in the game and remap your keys.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You will also have to modify the

key-pressed

check. Simply take keys, that your keyboard has. 'A' and 'Z', as an example.

That's what I actually meant to say. For some reason I said key-reset instead of key-pressed. Although if both exist they both will need changing. :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]