Author Topic: How many ships can the FS sourse engine handle on a modern system?  (Read 9227 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: How many ships can the FS sourse engine handle on a modern system?
It depends:

1. FS2 AI can't be compared to the one seen in WC games. It's plainly not as good.
2. Excalibur's autotargeting combined with its superior weaponry means for us, as mission designers, necessity to add more fighters to equal out the equations

You could probably get it closer to WC style with a custom AI profile, couldn't you?

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Of course we are using a custom profile. Still, AI is dumb as bread. In FS2 you are engaged in close combat, enemies ram your ship from time to time. You can't compare it to the way WC enemies acted. Still, in the first 4 episodes, you face a limited number of enemies. It's the last 13 missions, when you finally get a sit in the Excalibur, you face more enemies.  Some missions feature over 200 fighters, simply because Excalibur is so powerful.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Well the first WC had also an AI that had a tendancy to ram your fighter.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

more like the other way around :p

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Remember: you travel to more than one waypoint
This is why I gave up playing WCS demo in frustration. Whoever decided to use waypoints in the WC games is a sadist. :p

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
I favor the Navpoint system over the "one battlefield" system of FS2. It kinda shows how big space is and that finding your enemy isn't allways that simple.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
It has some good sides and some bad.

Unlike original WC, we can't decide which Nav point to fly too and decide to go home if we are damaged. We have a bit of the Starlancer syndrom there. That's why the mission design process has to balance all the Nav points in a way that it remains fun and challenging at the same time.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
It's the last 13 missions, when you finally get a sit in the Excalibur, you face more enemies.

SPOILER !  How dare you ?  :mad2:  :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

It's the last 13 missions, when you finally get a sit in the Excalibur, you face more enemies.

SPOILER !  How dare you ?  :mad2:  :)
Could be worse... could have said Dragon  :P  :lol:
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Of course we are using a custom profile. Still, AI is dumb as bread. In FS2 you are engaged in close combat, enemies ram your ship from time to time. You can't compare it to the way WC enemies acted. Still, in the first 4 episodes, you face a limited number of enemies. It's the last 13 missions, when you finally get a sit in the Excalibur, you face more enemies.  Some missions feature over 200 fighters, simply because Excalibur is so powerful.

I'm okay with dumb AI. I got my ass killed enough in the demo as it is.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Remember: you travel to more than one waypoint
This is why I gave up playing WCS demo in frustration. Whoever decided to use waypoints in the WC games is a sadist. :p

its also how origin's WC series plays, briefing hit the navs, sometimes watch a story sequences, go home
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art