Author Topic: The physics of space battles as it relates to ships in Wing Commander Saga  (Read 11926 times)

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
Re: The physics of space battles as it relates to ships in Wing Commander Saga
I don't talk about that particular page but about the fact that your criticism of that page is just based on false assumptions.
And neither is it your business for what I am spending my time, nor does having a degree prevent you from being ignorant towards science.
If you don't want to discuss that topic (which is your right), just don't post, but don't post something wrong and expect others (who want to discuss that topic) to accept it.

btw: Deciding that you refuse to accept something without even wanting to listen to any arguments is not that smart to begin with. I see no kind of scientific background in that.
The only one of the stated reasons of yours that I accept is that you don't have the time to take a look at that at the moment because of your thesis.
(Also good luck with that, it can be quite time consuming. I know that.)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 06:10:13 am by Aginor »
Member of the Scooby Doo model Fanclub "verticies and splines are the medium and he is the artist."

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Let's just say I don't find this discussion interesting enough to stop working on my thesis to read any pseudo scientific websites.

I've studied electronics engineering  and computer science and I've worked my way through Air Force Officer school. I think my education is at a high enough level to make up my own mind about science and its possibilities.
So please stop wasting your time trying to convince me of something I'll never accept anyway.

I thought your assertion was that 'we don't know what abilities technology will give us in the future'. I don't think this is in any particular dispute.

Why you felt the need to suggest that the Atomic Rockets page was pseudoscientific when it's filled with aerospace engineers and solid equations is beyond me. Trolling is grounds for monkeying on HLP.

Offline KeldorKatarn

Why you felt the need to suggest that the Atomic Rockets page was pseudoscientific when it's filled with aerospace engineers and solid equations is beyond me.

Maybe because I consider any scientists that spend their time telling people what CAN'T be done instead of trying to find out how stuff CAN be done speudoscientists in general. I know several people like that and I don't like their take on science. Call it a personal opinion and let's leave it at that.

Trolling is grounds for monkeying on HLP.

First of all, since when is stating an opinion trolling. Second of all, I'm not susceptible to threats either.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Maybe because I consider any scientists that spend their time telling people what CAN'T be done instead of trying to find out how stuff CAN be done speudoscientists in general. I know several people like that and I don't like their take on science. Call it a personal opinion and let's leave it at that.
I wouldn't consider them pseudosciencists, but rather normal scientists without imagination, afterall, even Einstein's theories weren't accepted at once (and even Einstein himself fell into this trap, he might have been able to discover that the universe is expanding, but rejected that as an absurd. And later, Hubble discovered that Einstein's initial calculations were right and universe is expanding). One quantum physicist once said that "If an old sciencist says that something is possible, he's propably right. If an old sciencist says that something is impossible, he's propably wrong" (or something like that, I read the quote in Polish).

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Why you felt the need to suggest that the Atomic Rockets page was pseudoscientific when it's filled with aerospace engineers and solid equations is beyond me.

That's not what these scientists say at all.

Please read threads:

All of the above carry the caveat 'at least with current technology.'

I have never disagreed with you that things now considered impossible may become possible. This discussion, however, concerns our current best guess as to what space warfare will be like.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I do tend to notice this with both yourself and NGTM-1R, though, Battuta:

You do eventually seem to ease up on other's opinions, but you assert yourself in a very forceful manner which makes a progressive discussion very difficult, especially if the views of the other individual are not in complete alignment with yours. As you staunchly stand by your sentiments (which is not wrong...), you do seem to dismiss that which you do not agree with for quite some time before considering the opposing position.

Please do not take offense to this - it's merely an observation. I'm certain I've demonstrated my share of shortcomings as well.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Fair enough, I'll try to work on it.

KeldorKatarn: I shouldn't have brought up monkeying. That was an unfair use of mod power, and I apologize.

Offline KeldorKatarn

KeldorKatarn: I shouldn't have brought up monkeying. That was an unfair use of mod power, and I apologize.

Accepted