Author Topic: The Darkest Dawn is Cleared for Launch  (Read 183677 times)

Re: The Darkest Dawn is Cleared for Launch
I hadn't been following this but it seems awesome. Congrats on the release!

Also, is there going to be a torrent?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Huge congrats, guys. :D It's really awesome to see this sort of perseverance and hard work pay off in the end.  I don't know when I'll have the chance to download it, but I'm definitely going to make time for it at some point. :)

Thank you so much for all your hard work on this project. I must say I'm blown away. I've been "away" from Hard-Light for ages it seems like, but oh does it feel good to come back...
Still alive....barely

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Played the first few missions. Takes me back... you definitely got the Wing Commander feel exactly right. Looking forward to the rest!

Offline starlord

oh, curse my studies and my substandard PC! I guess I'll have to wait longer still!

Great job saga team! you'll no doubt be remembered for this!

I'm waiting for the dust to settle before jumping in, and in the meantime, am enjoying playing thru WC1. Am planning to play thru WC2 and 3 before going to this at last.

Congratulations. After 10 years, you guys are finally done. Give yourselves another round of applause if your hands still work.
This is my only contribution to FSSCP

These mods are made from natural code that we pump in from retail. If you tried to run one, it would be like standing outside with nostalgia and pure awesome shining on your face. It would also set your computer on fire, so don't actually do it.

Offline Mr CharlieCharlie

• Golf?...a good walk spoiled!
Fantastic effort folks!  Much respect and congratulations due....WELL DONE!!
"All three of 'em in London..Damn 'em!"

Offline Quanto

• Permanent Nostalgia Goggles
DOWNLOADAN LIKE THE FIST OF THE NORTH STAR!!!
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools
(DarthGeek on: "Relentless")

Offline Veers

Congradulations on the release. Many congratulations

Noticed you also appeared on The Escapist
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I've never played any of the original series since my curiosity wasn't really piqued by them, now after seeing the last to trailers things have changed.
So I'll be downloading this sometime in the future, most certainly.

Anyways, Kudos for the hard work :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Two questions : why doesn't your launcher have a feature tab and an entry for command line flags, and why doesn't your exe work with the standard launcher.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

I know back when the prologue was first released a few years back there were some commandline options that came recommended.  This time around, are there any that I ought to put into the file cmdline_fso file or are the default settings par for the course graphically speaking?  I think it looks awesome as it is, btw.

Offline KeldorKatarn

I know back when the prologue was first released a few years back there were some commandline options that came recommended.  This time around, are there any that I ought to put into the file cmdline_fso file or are the default settings par for the course graphically speaking?  I think it looks awesome as it is, btw.

No need for any additional command line options. You only need what the launcher sets. (Also you shouldn't even try using standard FSO command line options. Most will no even work anymore.)

Two questions : why doesn't your launcher have a feature tab and an entry for command line flags, and why doesn't your exe work with the standard launcher.

Because you don't need either.

Offline ni1s

I understand the Linux and Mac versions are in the works, but is there any ETA on these?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface

I don't see how it's you to decide. I want to play that game in fullscreen windowed. Not only I can't add the flag manually in the launcher, but even when adding it in the command line file (which happened to be located into my Library folder), it doesn't seem to work. Did you actually spend CODER TIME removing USEFUL FEATURES ?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
I've been playing a bit of this. It's definitely a more polished and mature product than Prologue, and great fun (I hope I get a transfer to the Arrow though--I greatly dislike the Hellcat in all of its incarnations across the WC series). Some observations I made:

* The voice acting is extremely good by mod standards and better than I've seen in a lot of commercial games, but I miss Major Baws' old voice. The new actor is OK but he doesn't have the personality and humor the previous guy brought to the role. Also, something about his accent sounds off, like he's a German putting on an American accent or something. Greywolf is the standout character so far--everything out of his mouth is hilarious, and in a good way.
Spoiler:
I like how you shrunk the Hvar'kann from 20km to a more reasonable 2.2km. It's still terrifying but not completely out of proportion to everything else in the WC universe.
* How does the pilot see out of a Sorthak?
* Most of the models look really good, but some of the Kilrathi ships have a bit too much grunge on them IMO.
* The sheer quantity of cutscene footage is quite an achievement. An individual cutscene for every single briefing? How long did it take you to animate and render that?
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
* The sheer quantity of cutscene footage is quite an achievement. An individual cutscene for every single briefing? How long did it take you to animate and render that?

Approx. two months. And it really shows. If I had more time on my hands, briefing cutscenes would look much much better.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
Cool. Downloading now and congratulations to the team. I've never player Wing Commander except WC V: Prophecy which was... well, I've seen better games.

But wow, ten years of work and you had the breath to get it finished. I think there can be no better proof of the effort and heart's blood you put into this. Amazing. If there are people that can be called fans, you are. :)

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!

No need for any additional command line options. You only need what the launcher sets. (Also you shouldn't even try using standard FSO command line options. Most will no even work anymore.)

It's very sad we can't use commandline. There are some command I'd like to use (fov, post process, bloom, etc....) if supported by the build. Or just add news features in the launcher so we can do fine tuning all video option related.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
You can still try, I am not sure which will work though. You could probably place your cmdline.cfg in the data folder. That should overwrite the one in My Documents/Volition.

It comes down to this: if the functionality is still there, command line will have the desired effect.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis