Author Topic: Shattered Stars - A FS2 Campaign  (Read 19123 times)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Visionary modder and coder
    • Twitter
Shattered Stars - A FS2 Campaign
Merry Christmas! It's been a while, after months of inactivity. Ten months ago, The E told me I had to finish all models that I've started, and start a non-FSR campaign, in which I did comply. The FreeSpace: Reunited demo I released last February does not meet what the HLP members and I were expecting: it did not exhibit the quality and excitement that I intended to deliver, and it is too ambitious for me to undertake, as with the other one which I planned to be the reboot of the Ancient Shivan-War campaign.

So the result of the non-FSR campaign that The E was saying is this. It was called "Shattered Stars". Shattered Stars is a campaign that has no relation to FSR and the FreeSpace Universe in general, similar to Dimensional Eclipse. While it is a realistically high-maneuverability mod with a completely new setting and a totally new modpack, it will not be anime-themed, but with a different tone. More importantly, the hard-coded autopilot feature, the checkpoint-based save system, and Axem's journal system will be prominently used.

The storyline of this campaign is set in 2089 and follows the fabled 609th Crimson Elephants squadron of the 14th Fleet in the alien Galactic Rim Worlds (GRW), which is currently at war with the another alien race, the Authority (which is not to be confused with the government of the same name). A parallel narrative, told in the aforementioned journal by a young human girl living in GRW systems, relates the story of the Authority 3rd Core Fleet, the arch-nemesis of the 609th and the 14th.

The prelude campaign, the Orion Engagement, takes place five years prior - in which the 609th Crimson Elephants, the 14th Fleet and the dreaded Authority 3rd Core Fleet came to prominence and how this engagement will shape things to come. Unlike the forthcoming main campaign (which will be divided into chapters), it will (or may) have some overlap with the 2012 Total Recall remake, but it's not a continuation. It will be small, about 4 to 6 missions in total.

I'm putting this campaign idea up for discussion here as I'm sure that this concept will end up here anyway. I'm working on it, as my models are.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:44:39 pm by Bryan See »
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Campaigns:
FreeSpace: Reunited - Shattered Stars

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Offline Nyctaeus

• Betrayal is his middle name
  • I create cool things! Or at least I think so :P
    • Exile
Re: Shattered Stars - A FS2 Campaign
Sounds good so far. I hope You just won't start another project and decide to abandon it and start something new soon after.

I hope you will show us some screenshots :).
MY PRODUCTIONS
- Exile
- Shadow Genesis

MY RELEASED CONTENT SO FAR
Old Conversions | GTSD Anchorage | ORFg Tychicus | GTCa Sagittarius | SCv Scylla | EFC Evangelist | EFFg Solomon | GTL Latona | SC Raguel | PVD Atum | GTCv Eurynome | FractalSpace - Apophysis Skydome Pack
All of my stuff can be used ONLY in Freespace campaigns and missions.

CURRENT PROJECTS
SMT Skade | EAD Lindos | GTSC Schrodinger

Want to know what's coming? Check my WIP Mods Thread!

I used to be known here as Betrayal. I'm 3D Modeller, Texture Artist, Model Converter, General Modder, Tabeler, Storyline Consultant and Wiki Maintainer. Sorry for my bad english.

My p3d account

Good luck :nod:

Offline Lorric

Yes, good luck. I hope you manage to achieve the balance between what you're able to do and what you want to do that's eluded you so far.

Online Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
This idea sounds like it's got more potential. Keep working and keep a realistic view of your limits, and you might be able to pull this one off. We need more high-maneuverability mods!

If you're building several whole new fleets, I'd advise looting existing modpacks (like Wing Commander Saga or B5). Modeling whole new, good-quality fleets is way too much work, even for experienced teams.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
Thank you for the feedback. However, I did not plan on abandoning my work as soon as I've started. No projects started by me have been abandoned or cancelled. FreeSpace: Reunited is, although shelved, undergoing a massive restructuring in modpacks, and FreeSpace: Ancients are merely an working title for the Ancient-Shivan War reboot.

Lepanto, I take it as a suggestion and I love it as this will be my truly first high-maneuverability mod :)

Campaigns:

Ships:

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Here's the screenshot of the Shattered Stars' Orion Engagement campaign.

Regarding Lepanto's suggestion of using fleet assets from Wing Commander Saga and The Babylon Project, I'm sorry, though. The ships' sizes from the former appears to be smaller than the FreeSpace counterparts. I prefer staying true to the FreeSpace-style ship sizes for this mod, so I taken from Ancient Shivan-War and Vengeance's fleetpack for the respective GRW and Horologian ships, and Esarai's for the Authority fleet. (For inspiration, I've viewed the FreeSpace 2 SCP videos on Youtube by MetalDestroyer77)

As for the exact timeline in which my mod and this campaign, the Total Recall: Movie Touch iOS app provides some hints, including the year 2106, which implies that the movie (of which SS:OE has some overlap with) may have taken place in the time frame after the 21st century. I guess that someone might check it out, because I don't have an iPad (or something similar) currently :( (Although I am vague about the mod's exact setting in Earth's standards).

Campaigns:

Ships:

Offline Nyctaeus

• Exile
- Less ships the same as in other mods
- Less names from BP
- Less BP at all :P
- More backgrounds.
- Be creative
MY PRODUCTIONS
- Exile
- Shadow Genesis

Old Conversions | GTSD Anchorage | ORFg Tychicus | GTCa Sagittarius | SCv Scylla | EFC Evangelist | EFFg Solomon | GTL Latona | SC Raguel | PVD Atum | GTCv Eurynome | FractalSpace - Apophysis Skydome Pack

CURRENT PROJECTS

I used to be known here as Betrayal. I'm 3D Modeller, Texture Artist, Model Converter, General Modder, Tabeler, Storyline Consultant and Wiki Maintainer. Sorry for my bad english.

My p3d account

Offline BTA

• Air quotes are the best quotes.
- Less names from BP
- More backgrounds.
- Be creative

^
Don't make the same mistake I've made with Dusk Wars.

While Indus isn't a name unique to Blueplanet in terms of origins, but for many of us, all we're going to think of when we hear or see Indus is the UEFg Indus. You may keep the name, if you can somehow keep us from thinking back to Blueplanet, which'll be difficult.

Options are really limited tbh...

Lepanto's suggestion of using fleet assets from Wing Commander Saga and The Babylon Project

WCS, fine to use every now and again...but the TBP. If I recall correctly don't they get extremely butthurt when people use their assets? There's also the concern of copyright as well...
(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Online Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
This COULD be interesting, but I have to reiterate the others' suggestions. I'd advise not crossing your mod over with any non-FS properties, to keep the setting straightforward.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
- Less names from BP
- More backgrounds.
- Be creative
There are a lot of ships in the mod. I'd like to give a complete list of the contents of my ships modpack, but please note that this list is not final and so may have a few additional changes before my eventual release.

GRW ships:
GRF-50 Caranayodhin
GRF-52 Jayamalla
GRF-53 Kavi
GRF-109 Adhyaksha
GRB-30 Shuuro
GRB-59 Kasa
GRB-79 Ardanah
GRC Dalpati
GRC Nala
GRC Aveshah
GRC Jitendriyam
GRCv Padichar
GRCv Maharatha
GRCv Rathabandha
GRD Adhipa
GRD Angirasa
GRD Naayaka
GRD Gulma
GRCa Samara
GRBs Svaamin
GRJ Viraat
GRJ Ghatak
GRFr Vaisya
GR-C 1
GRI Stambhana
GRT Palanquin
GRT Anjan
GRS Caarayat

Horologian Empire ships:
HEF Jannisary
HEFg Baraka

Authority ships:
AUF Icarus (TF-13 Kvasir)
AUF Gladiator (TF Gefjon)
AUF Enforcer (GTF Skjoldr)
AUF Berserker (GTF Iapetus
AUF Predator (Starstrider)
AUB Iron Maiden (GTB Stheno)
AUC Venator
AUCv Recusant
AUCv Ardent
AUFg Marchion (UEFg Murugan)
AUFg Resolute (Phoenix Rising)
AUD Dauntless (GTD Sirona)
AUD Imperator (Emperor)
AUBs Victory (UED Solaris)
AUBs Visionary (TBs Horizon)
AUSJ Eclipse (TSJ Amaterasu)
AUL Tector (TMV Krom/GTL Anemoi)

That's not all. As for more backgrounds, that screenshot is from the Orion Engagement campaign, which is a fraction of the main campaign (plus the OE campaign itself) :)

This COULD be interesting, but I have to reiterate the others' suggestions. I'd advise not crossing your mod over with any non-FS properties, to keep the setting straightforward.

I did not plan to cross my mod over with any non-FS properties because it's an entirely new setting, much like the mod "Dimensional Eclipse". This new setting derives elements from the 2012 Total Recall remake, namely the Earth being devastated in a chemical war that makes it uninhabitable, leaving only two bastions of human civilization, namely the United Federation of Britain (the British Isle), and The Colony (Australia), and the gravity elevator, The Fall, which completed in 2106 connecting two nations together, and is seen as the symbol of political and economical oppression. And there are mentions of Chancellor Cohaagen (this character is previously played by Ronny Cox, who's the voice of the NTF's Adm. Bosch in FS2) and his army in the prelude campaign, the "Orion Engagement". However, for the sake of not crossing over any non-FS properties, I decided not to include the film's characters Douglas Quaid/Carl Hauser, Melina and Lori (who's killed at the end of Total Recall), but it is safe for me to assume they're all killed by Authority forces as citizens of The Colony rejoice after the destruction of the Fall (immediately following where the film has ended). Overall, my setting seems straightforward. Anyway, thank you for your suggestion, Lepanto. I confined the setting to entirely outer space, so I don't expect any crossover with any non-FS properties.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 09:59:42 pm by Bryan See »

Campaigns:

Ships:

Offline BTA

Very interesting name choices, so mind explaining the races a little so we can get a general idea as to what to expect with the ship models? So far without an explanation it looks a little bit like Ancients vs Shivans

With that said, may I also suggest retexturing the Ancient ships a bit to make them look more unique and to prevent people from receiving the ASW vibe.
(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Sorry, I'm late. I took my time researching the info about the races. GR stands for Galactic Rim. HE stands for Horologian Empire. AU is the Authority (AU is used instead of A, which is being used in ASW, Inferno and other FS2 campaigns).

Let me explain the races involved. The Galactic Rim Worlds is made up of the coalition of alien races from another galaxy allied with the Horologian Empire of the Milky Way. The technological level of the GRW is higher than that of the present day Earth, but inferior to the Authority.

The Authority is a highly diversified and technologically-advanced alien force that controls and shapes the cosmos how they see fit. The Authority aliens use advanced shields (which covers not only their fighters and bombers, but also the capital ships, installations, sentries, freighters and transports), beam weapons, cloaking devices and other technologies that defy physics, like the Shivans of the FS universe. The Authority's main purpose is to restore order to the universe by any means necessary, including exterminating races that do not submit to them.

I'll put this on a wiki later on as soon as I've finished the species.tbl file, which is still in development.

Speaking of ship models and textures, retexturing the Ancient ships a bit to make them look more unique and to prevent people from receiving the ASW vibe seems good, because I think it's a good idea to take advantage of FS2_Open's latest features, as well as forthcoming ones such as parallax occlusion/relief mapping and possibly making full use of dynamic screen-space ambient occlusion. Another way to stop giving the ASW vibe is to remodel everything - perhaps in full Collada format in which DahBlount and I am currently working on it. I know these may seem time-consuming, but due to the large number of outdated models, especially the Pylos, Minos and Androgeos (both are used as the GRD Adhipa, the GRBs Svaamin and the GRJ Viraat), I feel it is neccessary, if I want to take advantage of most of FS2_Open's latest features, including Swifty's deferred lighting and soft-shadowing, parallax occlusion mapping, displacement mapping, tesselation, real-time screen space ambient occlusion, and so on.

Also, I think ship models should possess shields, much like those in Dimensional Eclipse. I have gained experience from Blender, and I think I can do it.

I've got an update on its setting, let me re-iterate Lepanto's suggestion on crossing over any non-FS properties. The 2012 Total Recall remake's narrative is techno-chemically induced while its main character Quaid was in the artificial memory-chair at Rekall, so it is highly unlikely there will be a crossover. However, this mod contains elements derived from it. For instance, there are news programs from the chemically-devastated Earth, picked up by GRW and Authority ships in space alike as transmissions traveling at the speed of light in the vacuum. These programs range from the massive military buildup at the UFB to celebrations at The Colony, the deaths of UFB Chancellor Cohaagen and his forces and the destruction of the Fall. In conclusion, judging from the year The Fall was completed ten years before the film, the Orion Engagement prequel campaign takes place in the Earth year 2116, and the main campaign itself will be set in 2121. Sounds straightforward?

Anyway, it's not like Ancients vs. Shivans in the FreeSpace universe. It's a galactic coalition of freedom-fighting aliens vs. an oppressive alien government bent on universal domination.

Campaigns:

Ships:

Offline Nyctaeus

• Exile
Sounds very good so far :yes:
MY PRODUCTIONS
- Exile
- Shadow Genesis

CURRENT PROJECTS

My p3d account

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Very interesting name choices, so mind explaining the races a little so we can get a general idea as to what to expect with the ship models? So far without an explanation it looks a little bit like Ancients vs Shivans

With that said, may I also suggest retexturing the Ancient ships a bit to make them look more unique and to prevent people from receiving the ASW vibe.

Not to mention the hud gauges and sound effects which need to be changed. Naturally, I'd like to see 3D HUD gauges that are rendered using shaders.

Campaigns:

Ships:

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
I think I can tell more about the "Shattered Stars" campaign. Regarding the modbase itself, I've revamped it to not just make it cleaner, but also make me easy to make changes to the models, textures and effects efficiently as to prevent anyone from receiving the ASW vibe.

In terms of its length, I can't specify the exact number of missions the mod is expected to have upon completion, though it is divided into five acts and one prelude campaign. At the moment, Prelude and Act 1 of Shattered Stars will consist of 14 missions altogether, respectively focusing on the reemergence of the Authority and the Orion Engagement in Sol and its neighboring systems.

During the course of the campaign, the player character comes in contact with a runaway young human girl who is unaware that the chemically-devastated Earth existed without the remains of human civilization such as The Colony or even the Authority-aligned United Federation of Britain. Named Bernardine Carmichael, the girl is described as spoiled and self-absorbed and intensely preoccupied with the image she presents to other beings in the universe. I'm hoping that, when the time for voice-acting to come, I hope Kathleen "Magpi" Conahan will be voicing the character as there is no better choice of voice actress for that role.

Campaigns:

Ships:

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
OK, I've changed the textures of Ancient ships, so they won't resemble those seen in ASW. Here's the screenshot of the GRW fleet:

FRED-wise, I've started fleshing out the missions for Prelude and Act 1. If everything goes well as planned in terms of quality and storytelling, then the release will not be far off from now.

Campaigns:

Ships:

Offline BTA

That actually doesn't look too bad...
(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
I've forgot to tell you one thing in the last screenshot showing the changed textures of Ancient ships. The shaders are combined from Kobrar44's parallax occlusion mapping and per-pixel gloss shaders.

Some of my WIP models (including Betrayal's SC Raguel and my Sariel) are slated to appear in the campaign as GRW ships.

Campaigns:

Ships:

Ships look good in green.