Author Topic: The Executable did not Generate a Flag File  (Read 7119 times)

The Executable did not Generate a Flag File
I have been using FS2O for a while now, and mostly I have had no issues, but I am trying to turn on cockpits (in FS2 upgrade 3.6.12) and I seem to have an issue. In the "Advanced Settings" tab it only says:

"The Executable did not Generate a Flag File. Make sure that the Executable is a Freespace2 Open Executable."

I guess I need to create new flags in order to turn on the cockpits I downloaded, but for some reason I cannot create any flags. The "Advanced Settings" tab has been like this since installation. What did I do wrong to not-enable the "Advanced Settings"?

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Re: The Executable did not Generate a Flag File
By "FS2 upgrade", do you mean you're using FS2O version 3.6.12? Try 3.6.14, the most recent stable version, which you can find here. Recent versions of wxLauncher have been having problems with 3.6.12 for some reason, but it's old anyway.

I'm not too familiar with cockpits, but it looks like this post has instructions for setting them up.

Hope that helps.

I went ahead and re-downloaded/installed everything: FS2, OpenAL, 3.6.14 and the 0.9.1 launcher. I have not installed any mods yet, and when I check the launcher's Advanced Settings tab and it still says "The Executable did not generate a flag File..."

Should I just try the regular windows launcher instead?

I'm not terribly worried about the cockpits right now. I'll figure it out when I get this working.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
Yeah, might as well try the regular launcher and see if that works.

If you could post a wxLauncher log, that'd be helpful. You can find it by pressing Windows+R, typing %appdata%\wxlauncher in the "Run..." box that appears and pressing Enter, and then looking for wxLauncher.log in the Windows Explorer window that pops up. A debug build of the launcher (available in the release thread) would give a more detailed log.

If you're interested, I'd like to work with you sometime on figuring out what issue you're having with wxLauncher (I'm one of the developers).

EDIT: Slight clarification.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 08:09:28 pm by jg18 »

I would be very happy to work with you on this.

I think that is the file you asked for.

I installed the 5.5 launcher, and I seem to have no problems with it. I was flagging all over the place.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
Thanks for the log. I've noticed something that might be the problem. Your FS2 install is currently in "C:\Program Files (x86)\", and having the install there tends to cause problems with using mods because of Windows UAC (the security system that controls read/write permissions).

Could you move your FreeSpace 2 folder to C:\Games\? You can just create a Games folder in your C:\ drive and then move your FreeSpace 2 folder there.

That was the problem. I installed everything in C:\games, and the flags all popped up.

Thanks a lot man!

Here's the new log file in case you are interested.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
No problem. Glad I could help. The second log looks good. :)

Sorry, another quick question:

I remember the installer downloading a bunch of mods for me on a previous install, but I can't for the life of me figure out what I did to start the downloads. How do I start them again?

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
Umm... the installer is currently broken, unfortunately, and the new installer isn't ready yet, so for now, the only way to install mods is manually. :blah: Instructions for doing that are here. The Blue Planet team made a Windows installer for their mods (see here), but that's the only installer around at the moment.

Not a problem, just making sure I didn't screw something up.

Thanks again.

I received an error when trying to start the game after the download.  "Flag file can not be found"  I put the icon in the games folder and now get this error:

"It appears the application you selected is not valid, the flag file that it produced in order to make the UI and other things cannot be found." 

I am attempting to run this on the OSX Machintoch systems.

Any suggestions?

James.     :confused:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
What launcher are you using? Wxlauncher?