Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 305186 times)

Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
Mako Mankanshoku is objectively the best character in anything ever.
Difficult to argue with that.

KILL la KILL's pretty cool, and a bit more subtle than you'd think, but the setup does take a while. What's funny it that the fanservice is so central, in your face & over the top that it actually feel a lot less intrusive than the occasional boob & panty shots found in regular series.

In other news, I finally finished watching (well, sorta skimming) Attack on Titan season 2. I have to say, it's kind of disappointing that they stopped where they did. The season's mostly setup with ultimately very little payoff. The plot barely moved since the end of the first season. Also, I'm wondering if some of Armin's screen-time got shafted in favor of Mikasa again.

Re-less Eren is better: I remember someone saying a long time ago that one of the reasons the manga was easier to get through was that you didn't have to listen to Eren's voice, you only had to read his ramblings (or you could skip his speech bubbles entirely). I gotta say I agree with this sentiment, the moment he opens his mouth, it's just painful...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I wouldn't mind Eren's bombastic ramblings nearly so much if he ever did anything at all to back them up.  When you stop and think, you can count his wins on one hand, while he's a seasoned veteran at getting his ass kicked by just about everyone.  Like, don't talk if you can't back it up.  The show even lampshades it once or twice.  And while I found season 2 entertaining overall, I'll agree that it was unfortunate that it only had 12 episodes, since it wound up being something of a bridge arc between much greater events.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
AOT season 2 Eren is saved by the dub voice actor, who manages to sound thoroughly psychotic while gargling razor blades, and also somehow not sound synthesized or fake.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
at least he's not a Mary Sue
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Luis Dias

Neon Genesis is like watching a depressed emo pseudophilosopher slowly arguing for and against commiting suicide.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Neon Genesis is like watching a depressed emo pseudophilosopher slowly arguing for and against commiting suicide.

It's based on Hideaki Anno's experience with therapy when he was having/had a mental breakdown, so...
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Luis Dias

Yeah that totally maps with the show, but I would venture a guess and claim the writer was still very much on a downward spiral when he wrote this ****.

100% depressed stuff. Not "depressing", depressed. Heck, even Cowboy Bebop can be more depressing than this stuff. The characters are all pretty much ****ing pathetic from the get go and they don't improve one bit. If there's any real "arc" to the story is some sort of (Hitchhiker's) Marvin's idea of one (“The first ten million years were the worst," said Marvin, "and the second ten million years, they were the worst too. The third ten million years I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.”).

Very interesting ideas in it and I enjoyed the Angels' designs. The last two episodes were unwatchable despite not being terribly written (the storyboards are probably to blame here, lacking completely in quality - and I've noticed the repeat animations, etc., it feels rushed a 1000%). No real closure to the bigger plot, but it doesn't even seem to matter, given how the focus is landed on Shinji's pathetic emotional self-motivational epiphany. Which I guess it's the point of the series? IDK, I feel I can't really care about it other than a little bit of rage against its angst and emo self pity trip.

The last two episodes were unwatchable despite not being terribly written (the storyboards are probably to blame here, lacking completely in quality - and I've noticed the repeat animations, etc., it feels rushed a 1000%). No real closure to the bigger plot, but it doesn't even seem to matter, given how the focus is landed on Shinji's pathetic emotional self-motivational epiphany. Which I guess it's the point of the series? IDK, I feel I can't really care about it other than a little bit of rage against its angst and emo self pity trip.
First off, congratulations on sitting through the original Gainax Ending :).
Last time I watch NGE, I just skipped the final two episodes and jumped straight into End of Evangelion ;).

The last two episodes are notoriously trippy, in part due to the fact that they were done with next to 0 budget, hence why it's like 85% stock shots & sketches.

Overall, it's a kind of a weird show, not up to everybody's taste, and can be quite difficult to sit through. As someone that's battled depression quite a bit, it really resonates with me, I loved the way it *****-slapped a number of action Shonen cliches, and I appreciate the way they manage to dance around their limited animation budget for most of the series.
It remains one of my all-time favorite anime even today, and I think it more than deserve its landmark status, but I'm certainly not gonna rise up in arms to defend it if someone doesn't like it.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I tried watching NGE (and Rebuild of Evangelion) several times, and always ended up watching Gurren Lagann instead.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

I've yet to watch End of Evangelion, but I spoiled myself to the very tumbling down ending of it.

I haven't even heard of "Rebuild", I tried to keep my research of the things I'm about to see at barebones minimum so I don't spoil myself about anything with the exception above.... which wasn't really on purpose. It was the sheer beautiful weirdness of that video that brought me to check out the series in the first place.

e: I think this guy explains the end of evangelion pretty well tho
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 10:54:17 am by Luis Dias »

I've yet to see all of the NGE series. I've been planning on it. However I have seen the Rebuild movies at the suggestion of my friend.
Rebuild 2 and 3 did not impress me one bit. I thought Rebuild 2 suddenly became an action movie with weird pacing and tone backlash and R3 was just really boring.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something

This was a hidden audio track at the end of the US DVD release of the series.  I think Spike Spencer sums things up pretty well.

I tried watching NGE (and Rebuild of Evangelion) several times, and always ended up watching Gurren Lagann instead.
I feel like Gurren served as Gainax's apology for Evangelion.  Put the main character through a bunch of crap, but have him become the anti-Shinji and rise up in a blazing tower of manly awesomeness.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain

I enjoy a bit of dorkly.
(I deem that this works on this thread more than the YouTube thread due to length)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel

This was a hidden audio track at the end of the US DVD release of the series.  I think Spike Spencer sums things up pretty well.

I feel like Gurren served as Gainax's apology for Evangelion.  Put the main character through a bunch of crap, but have him become the anti-Shinji and rise up in a blazing tower of manly awesomeness.

I wouldn't call Gurren Lagann Gainax's apology. I'm a fan of Eva, last 2 episodes and all. While it's clear their schedule went to hell and they were in some legal hot water, the ending is as much the show veering off in a new direction as it is a reminder that the real world has a huge impact on fictional ones. Eva is not close to the original plan. Combine that with having to redo an episode at the 11th hour because of an attack and the end of the show was doomed but it's an interesting doomed. I'm loath to compare it to ME3, but at least the show had gotten weirder and focused on psychological stuff long before the last 2 episodes.

As for Gurren Lagann, it's a completely different tone with one of the most over the top directors at its helm (just look at how Kill la Kill and Little Witch Academia ended). GL is a much more traditional show than Eva, Kamina not withstanding, and it's certainly more consistent. It does deal in some philosophy but never to the obscene ends as Eva and with it's first episode, like much of that staff's other work, the end of the show is put in place often in the first episode  (though GL is still the best example of this).
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Luis Dias

I'll watch Gurren.

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Gurren is probably Hiroyuki Imaishi's most accessible work (Yoh Yoshinari is the one responsible for Little Witch) and it's a hell of a time.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Shame the start of Part 2 is really boring. I've heard that kills off allot of watchers.

Offline Luis Dias

Gurren is such a kids show. I'm having trouble maintaining any level of interest. The animation and art are good, and so is the spirit. But jesus f christ.

I finished off FMP TSR the other day. I had left it hanging like, 4 episodes before the end of the season back when it was first airing. Since SRW V came out and I played it, I figured I might as well catch up just to see where on earth the Arbalest animations came from. Man, the battle scenes were so good, it's a darn shame Kyoani won't touch mecha work nowadays (apparently the director found mecha shows really tough, iirc).

Also there is a weird focus on panty snapping, wonder if it was a fetish at the time.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Gurren is such a kids show. I'm having trouble maintaining any level of interest. The animation and art are good, and so is the spirit. But jesus f christ.
You clearly don't have enough hot-blooded manly fighting spirit.