Author Topic: practicality of running an AMD gpu and Nvidia gpu together?  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Venicius

• Be gone, ruffian!
    • Minecraft
practicality of running an AMD gpu and Nvidia gpu together?
So I have a spare computer that isn't as nice as my gaming rig and it has an old nvidea card. I don't remember what exactly it is and I'm at work so I can't check it. The computer I'm thinking of adding it to currently has an older AMD7700. Anyone done anything similar? Would there be any benefit to doing a mixed dual gpu or is this just dumb to try? When I get a chance I'll boot up the nvidea computer and see what it is. 

Re: practicality of running an AMD gpu and Nvidia gpu together?
It's impossible.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
If those cards had DirectX12 support, you may have had some luck with the very small subset of applications that support it. As it stands, no.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Venicius

• Be gone, ruffian!
    • Minecraft
That's kind of what I thought, guess I'll just take the extra ram and hard drive out and upgrade my gaming rig to 12 gigs. If I decided to dual boot could I tell the OS which card to use? Don't really know why I'd do that...Maybe I just need to go play a game now.

For god's sake yes. For multiple reasons your plan here is never going to get you anywhere, just stick with the better card.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.