Author Topic: Need advice for 3D Printing a computer case  (Read 1129 times)

Offline azile0

• Resident Trekkie
Need advice for 3D Printing a computer case
Hey folks, I am putting together a new computer build and it so far features a lot of red/black colored pieces. So I thought it looked like a Shivan-y rig, and of course that got me wanting to make a Shivan computer case. I don't know much about 3D printing so I thought I'd ask people who know more about it. How feasible would it be to design and print a covering for my PC tower? I would drop it on top of/drop the tower into the 3D printed model and have hollowed out sections to accommodate the tower and airflow.
You get one chocolate chip.

. <--- There it is.

Self-proclaimed master of the Keypad.

Re: Need advice for 3D Printing a computer case
why would you do this
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I don't know a lot about 3D printing either, but a computer case doesn't seem to me to be something it's well suited for. 
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Covering the tower might not be a good idea, plastic is bad at conducting heat. I don't know what kind of performance we're talking about or whether your air cooling can compensate, but I have a feeling that a thick plastic covering might impede heat dissipation. Computer case would be a prime candidate for 3D printing in metal, but this tends to be a pricey option.

3D printing the front panel should be OK, as long as you could get a display to go with it (unless you don't need one, of course, not every computer needs temperature readouts there).

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
As long as the ventilation is unimpeded, it shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: While it's probably not a good idea to pack a PC case in insulating material, a few plastic bits won't make much of a difference. Most of the heat exchange happens through the fans.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 07:38:27 am by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
From his description, it sounds like that's what he was thinking of (essentially a full cover over the case). A better idea would be a kind of "frame" sitting on top and with bits running down the sides, kind of like Poseidon freighter fits over its container. Couple that with a front panel piece (either a custom panel or a simple cover with cutouts for the buttons) and it should work. Assuming there's no top and/or front exhaust (my case has both, but that's not always the case. Sorry, had to. :)), it wouldn't even influence the airflow.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I see no reason why a well ventelated fully plastic case with lots of large (and therefore quiet) fans would have any heat dissipation issues.

But this is just a case cover, I really see nothing wrong with that as long as it doesn't cover the airflow.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
You would have to split it up into multiple chunks in order to print the whole thing - there are few 3D printers that can print something the size of a computer case in one go.

I would advise against printing large structural components out of plastic without redesigning them from their original sheet metal configuration.

Plastic accents and other non-structural components would be fine.

Can you model? This would make it a lot easier to understand where you're coming from. Are you going to be using a case and adding to it or were you planning on doing the entire thing?

Source: I work for Formlabs & teach 3D printing.