Author Topic: Heard a bunch of sirens in the area  (Read 12266 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Heard a bunch of sirens in the area
A Palestinian ran his truck into a group of Israeli soldiers visiting the Haas Promenade about 2 blocks from my house. After smashing through the crowd, he then proceeded to reverse his truck back over the bodies.

WARNING: GRAPHIC VIDEO (no blood shown, but hard to watch. "Action" starts at around 44 seconds.).

4 dead so far.

I had to walk to pick up my 6-year-old daughter from her school in the neighborhood since the roads were understandably blocked off, causing high traffic in the entire area. I explained to her that "something happened that made a lot of traffic up the road".

This is not the way to achieve peace. This is not proper or equivalent response to houses being built where you don't like. This is madness.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Re: Heard a bunch of sirens in the area
This is just terrible.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Why is it the only time you post it's pushing an agenda?  Do you honestly expect HLP to have anything, literally anything, to do with this, or about this?  Something bad happened near you, that's really unfortunate.  You'd probably have my condolences if you didn't immediately use it as a political statement in a place that doesn't give a **** about the politics of it.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Why is it the only time you post it's pushing an agenda?  Do you honestly expect HLP to have anything, literally anything, to do with this, or about this?  Something bad happened near you, that's really unfortunate.  You'd probably have my condolences if you didn't immediately use it as a political statement in a place that doesn't give a **** about the politics of it.

So posting something that seriously affected me & my family is pushing an agenda. Gotcha.

Oh wait, you must be referring to the line I ended my post with, about how terrorism doesn't attain peace. Well let me educate you about something. To you it's politics because you don't live around here, but what you call "politics", we call "daily life". In a country the size of New Jersey, there's not much separation between events here and "you" (not you-you, but people-you). Call our desire for peace "political" if you want—to you perhaps it is—but to us, every day is filled with this type of stuff, and the desire for real peace is real. Do you think I enjoyed essentially wasting 3 of my life mandatorily serving in the military here? How about the 3-4 weeks per year of reserve duty in the 15 years that followed my release, somehow always falling on the worst times of the year to have life interrupted? Do you think any Israeli wants to have to do that stuff to defend our families and country? Do you think I like it when sh*t like this happens?

...a political statement in a place that doesn't give a **** about the politics of it.

So this is you not giving a sh*t about the politics of it? All those gigantic Israel-related political threads are filled with people not caring about the politics of it? Could've fooled m—no wait, you did fool me. Huh. My bad. :rolleyes:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
If this happened two blocks away from Sandwich, then that is certainly worthy of a post on HLP, IMHO.

This is not the way to achieve peace. This is not proper or equivalent response to houses being built where you don't like. This is madness.

I dont really follow who is building houses where and if it is or isnt justified, so I am not going to judge.

But speaking in general, violence is a proper response to being colonized. So be a bit careful where you built your houses.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

That does assume that the houses are why this happened and not the dozens of other things that have happened. Considering the targets were soldiers, there's probably a long list of grievances one can pick and choose from.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers

Counter question, why is it that EVERY time Sandwich posts about something that happens around him, you and others go on the attack?  If you don't give a **** about the politics of it, why are you even talking about it?  FAR less relevant things have been posted by other members.  I'm getting really goddamn sick of the hypocrisy of the HLP hivemind.  If you want to talk about pushing agendas, may I refer you to the 100+ page Trump butthurt thread.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too

Why do we have a 110 page topic devoted to tearing down Trump?
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Why do we have a 110 page topic devoted to tearing down Trump?

For the same reason we have a 90 page thread on Star Citizen, obviously. Apperently, commenting on an overhyped, overpromising wreck lead by people who really don't know what they are doing is something we're into :P
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 01:27:33 pm by -Joshua- »

Stay safe, Sandwich. I can't imagine what having this sort of thing happen so near must be like.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

Counter question, why is it that EVERY time Sandwich posts about something that happens around him, you and others go on the attack?  If you don't give a **** about the politics of it, why are you even talking about it?  FAR less relevant things have been posted by other members.  I'm getting really goddamn sick of the hypocrisy of the HLP hivemind.  If you want to talk about pushing agendas, may I refer you to the 100+ page Trump butthurt thread.

If somebody were to post a new topic detailing the police-involved shooting of a young black man near their neighborhood, and then at the end include a condescending rhetorical "This is not the way you reduce crime" in the same manner that Sandwich did, I'd call that out for politicizing a tragedy, too, even though I largely agree with the politics associated with it.  You're welcome to call that hypocrisy if you want, I suppose.

People are dead, and the very first thing Sandwich did about it on these boards was use it as a springboard to blame those dastardly Palestinians again.  **** that.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
You'll forgive me if I don't believe you.  The record speaks for itself.  Right on the front page, in the Berlin terror thread.  Turned political immediately, starting with an attack on "the right".  No one called that out.  In fact you yourself defended it when someone countered.  The only difference to this is who posted it and who turned it political.  It's even the same kind of attack FFS.

Hell, the membership here has even been known to continually goad and provoke conservative members and then ban after the inevitable response. 
I like to stare at the sun.

Sandwich would probably have your condolences if he didn't make it a political statement? And since he did make it a political statement, he doesn't have your condolences?

Also: as Klaustrophobia pointed out, HLP clearly does give a **** about the politics of it.

People are dead, and the very first thing Sandwich did about it on these boards was use it as a springboard to blame those dastardly Palestinians again.  **** that.

Okay, next time there's a mass shooting in the US, nobody's allowed to talk about gun control.

You'll forgive me if I don't believe you.  The record speaks for itself.  Right on the front page, in the Berlin terror thread.  Turned political immediately, starting with an attack on "the right".

As the person who made that remark, I'd like to point out again that I did so because Geert Wilder's response to the attack was to post a picture of Angela Merkel with blood on her hands on twitter, before any information about who and what and why. Nigel Farage's response to the attack was a string of accusationary statements that ended with Farage accusing Joe Cox's widower of being an extremist (Joe Cox having been shot by a political extremist). I was expressing my disgust at an event being politicized so readily.

I also would note that the discussion was about 'the far right', which is a very intentional distinction that doesn't translate well across national boundaries.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 04:39:59 pm by -Joshua- »

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Okay, next time there's a mass shooting in the US, nobody's allowed to talk about gun control.

Yeah, it's generally a pretty ****ty topic to talk about in the immediate aftermath.

You'll forgive me if I don't believe you.  The record speaks for itself.  Right on the front page, in the Berlin terror thread.  Turned political immediately, starting with an attack on "the right".  No one called that out.  In fact you yourself defended it when someone countered.  The only difference to this is who posted it and who turned it political.  It's even the same kind of attack FFS.

Hell, the membership here has even been known to continually goad and provoke conservative members and then ban after the inevitable response. 

You should probably go read that again, because that's absolutely not what I defended.  In fact, I didn't defend anything, unless telling Maslo to not bring his rhetoric into the conversation is suddenly defending politicizing a tragedy.  And that's even besides the fact that the discussion turning political immediately (in the sense that commentary on an organization politicizing a tragedy is turning it political) was not actually anyone on this forum using the tragedy to make a political point.

But I'm not terribly surprised, you're clearly looking for reasons to lash out against the "HLP hivemind" and I doubt anything I say will change your mind.

Apparently some of you have trouble seeing how Sandwich tried, with all the subtlety of a bulldozer, to spin this incident to delegitimise opposition to illegal Israeli settlements in the original post.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
You know... there is a small possibility that rather than being some sort of calculated chess move to try and use something for some sort of gain, it might just be how he actually felt about it and he was just being honest and open.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
So he's an unwitting propagandist that immediately used a tragedy to make a political statement.  You're right, that's so much better.

Yeah I don't mean to imply Sandwich wasn't speaking in earnest, I think his perspective is such that he genuinely looks at every issue and immediately sees how the Palestinians are solely to blame for it.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Would you have preferred I blame Global Warming instead??

http://www.timesofisrael.com/jerusalem-terrorists-sister-says-family-thankful-for-his-martyrdom/

...Fadi al-Qanbar... had carried out the attack of his own volition. ...

The Hamas terrorist organization on Sunday hailed the attack as a “heroic” act and encouraged other Palestinians to do the same and “escalate the resistance.”

Qanbar was a resident of the nearby Jabel Mukaber neighborhood of East Jerusalem...

... in Gaza several youths could be seen giving out candies and sweets to passersby to celebrate the attack. ...

When asked by a reporter for the Quds News Network what she thought of the attack, Qanbar’s sister responded, “God chose him for this martyrdom. Thank God. We are patient and we thank God for this… It is the most beautiful martyrdom.”

Qunbar was in his late 20s, was married and reportedly had four children.

:mad:

Yeah I don't mean to imply Sandwich wasn't speaking in earnest, I think his perspective is such that he genuinely looks at every issue and immediately sees how the Palestinians are solely to blame for it.

So you'd justify mass murder because...?

I blame Palestinians for Palestinian acts. Nothing more, nothing less. If you can't handle it when reality spits in the face of your idealized "persecuted minority" Hollywood-esque bullsh*t, go hide in a hole somewhere for the rest of your life. Not only are the Palestinians to blame for this attack—specifically, the guy who drove the truck, and the people who actively encourage such acts in official Palestinian media, education, etc—but they went around handing out sweets to celebrate immediately after the attack.

Now let's look at the other side of the coin. What has Israel done to "deserve" these types of actions? Built houses on disputed territory? Don't try to come up with some sort of moral equivalency between carrying out acts of murder and constructing houses on disputed lands. And yet that's exactly the comparison the UN recently condemned us for, which may very well have given the driver of the truck some misguided sense of justification for his actions in the world's eyes, in addition to the support and encouragement towards acts of violence he received his entire life through the Palestinian media and education system.

So yeah, you're damn right I immediately see the blame for Palestinians murdering Israelis resting in the lap of said Palestinians.