Author Topic: I have no knowledge about animé and peer pressure is getting to me please help.  (Read 17903 times)

I have no knowledge about animé and peer pressure is getting to me please help.
Hi!

I have never watched an animé in my life (except Pokémon).
Where should I start?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 04:19:27 pm by -Joshua- »

Re: I have no knowledge about animé and peer pressure is getting to me please help.
Do you want the memes so that you can meme with everyone else or are you interested in something actually decent to watch? Because I can give you both  ;7
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Re: I have no knowledge about animé and peer pressure is getting to me please help.
Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy.  Yes, the one from the early '80s.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

I am not interested in memes, but I am interested in something actually decent to watch.

Like everybody keeps telling me ghost in the shell is good should I start with that? Which version?

Alright, so you want to start off with something pretty easy and gateway-ish. You're probably too old for standard gateway shounen with like 600000 episodes though.

For ghost in the shell I'd recommend "stand alone complex", the 2002 TV series, though the original 1995 movie is also good.

For mecha shows I'd recommend something more recent for starters. Macross Zero(4 ep OVA), Code Geass, or Gundam 00 are good gateways. You can go back and watch the older stuff if you decide you like it. The continuity switches all the time anyway.

For space sci-fi try Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Space Battleship Yamato(the recent remakes are pretty good), or Gundam Wing. Legend of the Galactic heroes is really good but it's got like a bajillion episodes and a plot super far up its own ass so it might not be great for starters.

As for generally good starter shows try Steins; Gate, Baccano!, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood(64 episodes might be a bit of a commitment), Psycho Pass, or Black Lagoon.

Pick some at random, google them(or search them on MAL or Crunchyroll) and if they seem interesting from the plot summary have fun watching them.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Cowboy Bebop is still a great point for orbital insertion into the anime.  It looks sharp, sounds fantastic, the characters and stories are cool and accessible.   As a bonus the dubs are still one of the best around so you dont need to read like an elitist.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Anime that is good that I like and recommend:

Psycho-Pass (disclaimer: dark and violent)
Black Lagoon (disclaimer: strong [very strong] language and violent)
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Ghost in the Shell: Arise
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (also source of lots of memes)
Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team
Fate/Zero

There's probably more but I don't remember all of them.  If Samurai Jack counts, watch that.

Any particular ones I should be looking out for when looking for context to place JAD 2.2 and WoD in?

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Macross.

WoD is mostly Macross, Gundam, and a bit of Crest of the Stars(muh blue haired space elves).

For Jad 2.2 you pretty much need Neon Genesis Evangelion since JAD 2.2 is basically NGE with Angels replaced by Beta Testers and serious emotional drama replaced by disco music.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Huh.

So my suggestion: Full Metal Panic. First two series are quite serious, you've got a quite good plot... and mechs. Big ones, and quite a lot of 'em. And FMP Fumoffu -> lmao every time, every episode.
Totally there also is about 60 episodes IIRC.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
You could pretty much start, and end, with '97 Berserk. It aged a bit, but the plot is still strong. Start with episode 2.
Attack on Titan surprisingly has a nice plot progression too, and an interesting setting.
I enjoyed Avatar: the Last Airbender back in the day. Not exactly anime, but you probably haven't seen it either.

You might find those appealing if the typical super over-the-top anime stuff doesn't work for you.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Where should I start?

What genre are you generally interested in, considering your usual media diet?

As a layman, I can second Cowboy Beebob (Sci-Fi/"Western") und Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood (Fantasy, with some early 20th Century influx)...

As a historical fiction, I can also recommend the first two seasons of Rurouni Kenshin (more preciecely the 2nd, the frist is mostly exposition in one form or another & season 3 is all non-conesquential)

Ps. Dont be afraid of commitment to some (good ones are usually an easy watch, even at 40+ episodes) and dont put time into a recommendation that doesn't grip you (Japan has a very competetive TV-landscape when it comes to animation, so they try to get people on board fast - this is also why audience retention via filler exists*)

* note: 3rd hand knowledge but I trust my source
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 06:21:31 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Attack on Titan surprisingly has a nice plot progression too, and an interesting setting.

Attack on Titan also has a glorified footrace that lasts six episodes.  It's not exactly the posterchild for consistently good pacing (which I find I've come to value more than raw interesting plot).

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Ignore all of those suggestions and watch Bible Black instead.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Ignore all of those suggestions and watch Bible Black instead.

Watch it with family.  It's fun for all ages!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Where should I start?

What genre are you generally interested in, considering your usual media diet?
This is really the way to go.  You're gonna get any of a few hundred "must watch nao!" shows depending on who's talking to you, because like most nerds animu fans love to push their tastes on other people, but at the end of the day anime is a medium that covers pretty much every genre under the sun.  The best way to suggest something you might like is to know what sorts of movies or TV series you're into, because chances are there's probably a good match to them.  If you wind up getting sucked into the weeb world, there's plenty of time then to venture beyond your initial comfort zone.  (Example: turns out a show with the flowery name of "Princess Tutu" is goddamn awesome.)

But yeah, failing all else go with Bebop.  It's pretty much THE gateway drug.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Have an overly long chart to make the rest of the thread obsolete (except for my bible black recommendation of course)
Hidden Text: Hidden because its a really large picture • Show
Enjoy.

But yeah, failing all else go with Bebop.  It's pretty much THE gateway drug.
For americans with nostalgia goggles.  :p

I mean, nothing against Cowboy bebop, its a solid show (good, but not great imho). But over the years I noticed that 9 out of 10 times its americans that recommend Cowboy Bebop because it had an okay dub and aired on american tv a lot back in the day.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 07:24:01 pm by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
But my favorite part of saying that Cowboy Bebop is overhyped and is not a 10/10 as most people make it out to be, is the guaranteed angry replies.
Which is why I can never help myself.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
You people made me this way!
Urutorahappī!!