Author Topic: I have no knowledge about animé and peer pressure is getting to me please help.  (Read 17901 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: I have no knowledge about animé and peer pressure is getting to me please help.
Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy.  Yes, the one from the early '80s.
Who the **** recommends this to a first time watcher?

I mean, I love gundam but come on man.
You don't just jump onto whitebase like that.

Quoting my own post on the new page
Have an overly long chart to make the rest of the thread obsolete (except for my bible black recommendation of course)
Hidden Text: Hidden because its a really large picture • Show
Enjoy.

I just post not because it's easy, but because its hard.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: I have no knowledge about animé and peer pressure is getting to me please help.
For americans with nostalgia goggles.  :p

I mean, nothing against Cowboy bebop, its a solid show (good, but not great imho). But over the years I noticed that 9 out of 10 times its americans that recommend Cowboy Bebop because it had an okay dub and aired on american tv a lot back in the day.
Silly me, I thought it was because it's well-animated, it plays around with a wide range of genres, it's largely episodic and therefore far more accessible to a neophyte viewer than your average heavily-serialized story, its soundtrack is beyond godly, it had an absolute dream-team of staff working on it, and at the end of the day Watanabe has better directorial skills than at least 95% of his peers.  I won't deny that airing on basic cable helped gain it wide exposure, but it more than has the pedigree to back up its reputation.

And that's a pretty decent (and thorough!) flowchart, albeit missing a few all-time classics.  (No Utena?  Boooo.)  The point of movies is one worth nothing though: something that frustrates me a bit about anime fans is that most of them try to push entire series on neophytes, when someone new to the medium will probably be much more willing to sit through a good stand-alone film.  Ghibli's the go-to choice, and you can go with Shinkai or Hosoda depending on your mood, but for my money the late-2000s BONES effort Sword of the Stranger is an absolute must-see.  It's the classic samurai period flick done to near-perfection.

(Perhaps not very popular opinion: people should watch the 2003 Fullmetal Alchemist adaptation over Brotherhood.)

Edit:

But my favorite part of saying that Cowboy Bebop is overhyped and is not a 10/10 as most people make it out to be, is the guaranteed angry replies.
Which is why I can never help myself.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 07:55:55 pm by Mongoose »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
But my favorite part of saying that Cowboy Bebop is overhyped and is not a 10/10 as most people make it out to be, is the guaranteed angry replies.
Which is why I can never help myself.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
(Perhaps not very popular opinion: people should watch the 2003 Fullmetal Alchemist adaptation over Brotherhood.)

My disagreement stems 100% from the twin sources of your use of the word "over" when "alongside" would be perfectly agreeable, and because 2003 FMA has filler, which should be avoided at all cost when trying to show someone good anime.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Hi!

I have never watched an animé in my life (except Pokémon).
Where should I start?

You don't.

I live in a country where anime is essentially 90% of the cartoons on TV since the seventies (both RAI and the private networks bought them in bulk for cheap and here in Italy the dubbing industry has always been bigger than in other countries) and stopped outirght watching them when I was 9 years old.

I did see a Myiazaki movie once and also Paprika because it came up in a discussion forum (well, also Hellsing Abridged but that's a gag dub), but other than that...

Well, I was forced to watch Dragon Ball and One Piece at lunch for years because my little brothers really liked them and played exactly at that time.

Yeah, living in Italy kinda sucks if you don't like anime.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I have never taken heroin and peer pressure is getting to me please help. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I am the person who does the totally sane comparison of a form of entertainment to a destructive harddrugs.

Sad childhood words
I am the person who has to go out of his way to tell everyone he doesn't like a form of entertainment, despite nobody asking.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Ah **** I forgot, I am posting in the bad part of hardlight, time to bail.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something

My disagreement stems 100% from the twin sources of your use of the word "over" when "alongside" would be perfectly agreeable, and because 2003 FMA has filler, which should be avoided at all cost when trying to show someone good anime.
I could take "alongside" as an acceptable substitute.  Either way, the 2003 series most definitely handles the original manga content better than Brotherhood did, and at least for my money the plot goes in a more interesting direction than Arakawa's original did.  There's also not much of what I'd legitimately call "filler," since that earlier adaptation was intended from the beginning to veer away from the original manga and tell its own story.  I'm not saying that I consider Brotherhood bad or anything, but it just didn't grab me in the same way that the 2003 version did.

You're not kidding.  A drug habit would be far cheaper than the mounds of DVDs and Blu-rays I've managed to pile up over the years. :D

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
ghost in the shell
Was going to suggest that. start with either the 1995 movie or Stand Alone Complex. They are both a fairly hard scifi about the meaning of humanity in a world where the line between machine and humanity has become extremely blurred.
Note they are completely different stories but sharing the same characters and similar themes. The movie is more condensed and self contained, the show explores these themes with a very rich thoughtful plot relating to corporate/government corruption.

GitS will be my main recommendation to you but I will also endorse:
Cowboy Bebop - ragtag band of bounty hunters come together into something almost like a family, then fall apart as the fail to deal with their pasts as they catch up with them.
Death Note - game of cat and mouse between a supernatural murderer and a brilliant detective. Don't watch season two, season one is the end.
Full metal Alchemist - follow the adventures of two brothers as they seek to undo their horrible mistakes in alternative reality pre-world war 1 (not)magical (not)Germany. bright and cheery art style coupled with realy ****ing dark subjects, like human experimentation and genocide. (will second Mongoose's endorsement of the 2003 version, Brotherhood's pacing is ****)
Trigun - a legendary gunslinger and his pacifist quest, and dealing with the consequences of his failures in that quest. Space western set on a desert planet cut off from the rest of humanity.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I was forced to watch Dragon Ball and One Piece at lunch for years

no wonder you hate it, just be thankful you were spared Bleach and Naruto.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

So we've got pointless arguing about something that isn't really important, sniping, and personal attacks. We're just missing posting about posting to make this a 5/7 classic GenDisc thread.

AAANNND we've got it!
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
but I thought it was politics that made GenDisc a sewer :confused:
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Steal your grandmother's Oxycontin to get yourself started.

Righto, I'm making an executive decision: I'm gonna watch Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Thanks for your help everybody!

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Righto, I'm making an executive decision: I'm gonna watch Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Thanks for your help everybody!

Glad you found something. Glad to have been of service.

Ah **** I forgot, I am posting in the bad part of hardlight, time to bail.

You know what you did wrong (and it's not what you think), right?

(Too much coffee, dear colleague?)

You don't.

[cut the reasoing - note of the Editor]

Sounds like you fell into the same trap I did back in my teens ... because most networks were just interested in filling their lunch-time slots with "kid friendly"-stuff that could reliably fill those slots for years, many networks just get the franchises that retained audiences the longest regardless of the reason why. It's simple economics.

This doesn't make your tastes any less valid; Taste is taste and mine is probabily less healthy than yours anyway :)

But to offer a disenting point of view:

I had the fortune having the Networks like Viva or MTV Germany who would air more niche and shorter fair as part of their midnight programmes - but that didn't keep me from dismissing most anime for years.

But then in my early 20s I got back because a friend of mine went into an artistic profession and she wanted to build me as a conversation partner ('cause her job intersected with one of my main interests), so she subjected me to many of her childhood influences, most of which were french-language comics. Esspecially arists like Moebius got me around to reconsider my bias against comics and animation.

If you apply a bit of knowledge and discerning logic to it you can find something to good in the sea of averageness - anime is there no different than any other media.

Legal opiods do the same but have lower dosage. If you ever got pain-medication in hospital you already expirenced it - no big wup. :D

(Speaking purely theoretical, both have essentially the same chemical "root)

Where should I start?

What genre are you generally interested in, considering your usual media diet?
This is really the way to go.  You're gonna get any of a few hundred "must watch nao!" shows depending on who's talking to you

Well yes and no...

Who suggests what might be a good piece of information to have, esspeically if you are asking content creators - like Spoon (sorry for singleing you out)-

Some of the people who could concieveably post here also have well documented pet peeves, likes and dislikes, in case of Spoon they are quite obvious through is work. So combing that knowledge with the recommendation could be quite helping. Esspecially in cases when consensus is building from very different people.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 07:36:17 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I am the person who does the totally sane comparison of a form of entertainment to a destructive harddrugs.
It is honestly a poor comparison. I mean heroin's pretty bad but it's not got anything on the negative effects anime has on people.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I mean, nothing against Cowboy bebop, its a solid show (good, but not great imho). But over the years I noticed that 9 out of 10 times its americans that recommend Cowboy Bebop because it had an okay dub and aired on american tv a lot back in the day.

Well for a certain generation of anime fans in the States Cratoon Networks Toonami is the most likely point of entry.  Chances are one or more of the following got them hooked:

Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Outlaw Star
Inuyasha
The Big O
08th MS Team
0080 War in the Pocket
0083 Stardust Memory

While I admit some of those titles are glazed over with nostalgia, Bebop is still cool AF for the reasons Mongoose stated.

Come at me bro :P

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Karajorma's peer-pressure joke has officially and undeniably "gone" bad.

(I had to stop myself from posting anything else because that would only perpetuate negativity. As much fun as it would have been in some sick form)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."