Author Topic: I have no knowledge about animé and peer pressure is getting to me please help.  (Read 17910 times)

Re: I have no knowledge about animé and peer pressure is getting to me please help.
Sherlock

watch all the anime, all of it, you deserve it
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: I have no knowledge about animé and peer pressure is getting to me please help.
Man, there are so many good shows to recommend, just from the things posted in this thread Joshua should have enough material to last him a while. (If all of the DEEP ghost in a shell plot doesn't scare him away for life  :p )
Legend of the galatic heroes (LoGH) has been mentioned before, with all the valid sidenotes regarding the show. Even so, let me add a suggestion to the recommendation; sample the show by watching the first movie first (it's 1 hour long), that takes place a bit before the main show, called "My Conquest is the Sea of Stars". If you find that to your taste, then the call to watch all wooping 110 episodes or not is much easier to make. Because imho, LoGH is absolutely worth watching for all of its 110 (+50 something side episodes) duration. But I can also understand that it might not be to everyone's taste.

You still acted like you are under the same kind of persecution complex though.
My intention was not to offend, and I apologize for having done so unwittingly but you seem not to conceive that perhaps there are nerd communities that don't take themselves so seriously as to get offended for what was a mere joke about our nerd passions, I mean, we are a community about space pew pew, good grief!
"All of the anime you watch that is not from studio ghibli is stupid crap" "no no, I didn't meant to offend, I just merely came into this thread to share with everyone how much I dislike a form of entertainment that you enjoy." "Gawd stop getting so offended and being passive aggressive."
No sure, you are totally being reasonable here. And you contribute so much to the topic at hand.
Good grief you are making bad posts. Suggestion for self-reflection: Don't go into threads about hobbies that you don't enjoy for the sole purpose to act like a jerk and tell everyone how much you don't like their hobby. And especially don't tell someone they're being too serious and oversensitive after you literally went out of your way to tell them how much 'idiotic crap' you think their favorite sort of entertainment is.

Because you know why not? It makes you look like a bloody immature wanker is why. And the world would be just a little bit nicer of a place if people could just act less like jerks and apply the 'live and let live' motto to their lifes some more.
Now be on your way and enjoy whatever thing you enjoy being entertained by.

Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Ah **** I forgot, I am posting in the bad part of hardlight, time to bail.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Ah **** I forgot, I am posting in the bad part of hardlight, time to bail.

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
No, I must argue with some guy I don't know, on the internet. Don't try to stop me!
Urutorahappī!!

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Okay, some random things I like:
Person of Interest

If you are interested in something along the lines PoI's action sequences (esspecially when you think of Root and Shaw*), might I suggest Noir from 2001?

The series follows the contract killers Mireille and Kirika from their meeting under suspicoious cricumstance to uncover what links them together.

EDIT: and its 26 episodes, so rather short time committment

The series is a bit slow at first and has some proudction value difficulties in the beginning (e.g. re-use of shots) but it quickly passes. The action is somewhat slower than PoI and lacks the high-tech angle that defines PoI, but the mystery is engaging and presentation is very interesting (dare I say, cool? I dare to) and appropriately film noir-infused. The soundtrack is very good and memorable, and a particular favorite of mine (just writing this brought it back).

* (note: I've yet to see Season 5 of PoI)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 03:57:25 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Man, there are so many good shows to recommend, just from the things posted in this thread Joshua should have enough material to last him a while. (If all of the DEEP ghost in a shell plot doesn't scare him away for life  :p )
Legend of the galatic heroes (LoGH) has been mentioned before, with all the valid sidenotes regarding the show. Even so, let me add a suggestion to the recommendation; sample the show by watching the first movie first (it's 1 hour long), that takes place a bit before the main show, called "My Conquest is the Sea of Stars". If you find that to your taste, then the call to watch all wooping 110 episodes or not is much easier to make. Because imho, LoGH is absolutely worth watching for all of its 110 (+50 something side episodes) duration. But I can also understand that it might not be to everyone's taste.

You still acted like you are under the same kind of persecution complex though.
My intention was not to offend, and I apologize for having done so unwittingly but you seem not to conceive that perhaps there are nerd communities that don't take themselves so seriously as to get offended for what was a mere joke about our nerd passions, I mean, we are a community about space pew pew, good grief!
"All of the anime you watch that is not from studio ghibli is stupid crap" "no no, I didn't meant to offend, I just merely came into this thread to share with everyone how much I dislike a form of entertainment that you enjoy." "Gawd stop getting so offended and being passive aggressive."
No sure, you are totally being reasonable here. And you contribute so much to the topic at hand.
Good grief you are making bad posts. Suggestion for self-reflection: Don't go into threads about hobbies that you don't enjoy for the sole purpose to act like a jerk and tell everyone how much you don't like their hobby. And especially don't tell someone they're being too serious and oversensitive after you literally went out of your way to tell them how much 'idiotic crap' you think their favorite sort of entertainment is.

Because you know why not? It makes you look like a bloody immature wanker is why. And the world would be just a little bit nicer of a place if people could just act less like jerks and apply the 'live and let live' motto to their lifes some more.
Now be on your way and enjoy whatever thing you enjoy being entertained by.
So you are really determined to see everything I say as an insult or twist it into one it seems.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Det. Bullock there is no need to keep coming back to a thread about something you dislike in order to... I don't know, defend your honor, or something?  I can't see a reason why this conversation is still going.  You guys should probably drop it, so everyone can stop having to watch pointless bickering from either side!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Bullock, Spoon, go get a room and watch Urotsukidōji together.  It'll do you both good!

(sidenote Joshua under no circumstances look that up)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I hope this thread results in Joshua finding anime that he will enjoy watching.

I think that would be a nice outcome.

Bullock, Spoon, go get a room and watch Urotsukidōji together.  It'll do you both good!

I had to look it up, I am glad of it.

Anime director Hideki Takayama took great artistic liberties with the Urotsukidōji story, mixing elements of horror, violence, and sadistic scenes of rape not present in the original work. Maeda himself stated in an issue of Playboy Japan that he found the anime to be repugnant, cruel and sadistic, yet brilliant. He also said he admires Takayama's take on his vision. The anime series is most famous for being the first in the tentacle rape genre, though only one scene in the first OAV actually contains any tentacle rape.

I mean, whats not to like?
Urutorahappī!!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
saw a lot of mentions of the 1995 Ghost in the Shell movie and not one mention of its 2004 sequel which is one of my favourite movies of all time.

Jin-Roh is also a fantastic movie; just, uh, don't go in expecting a happy ending.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Okay, some random things I like:
Westworld
Person of Interest
Battlestar Galactica
The Last Kingdom
Elementary
Sherlock
Game of Thrones

From the little I know about such TV luminaries, Ghost in the Shell should be pretty much right in your Westworld wheelhouse.  The already-mentioned Trigun is a classic if you're looking for the Western side of things.  Something I haven't seen recommended yet that might scratch a Game of Thrones itch would be The Twelve Kingdoms: it starts with something of a standard "girl sucked into mystical fantasy world" premise, but overall it fits in the high-fantasy mold and delves into the politics of its setting pretty heavily. (The very good Escaflowne has a similar setup, only it adds in romance and magic and giant robots and catgirls and all sorts of other fun stuff.  Killer soundtrack too.)  Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit is another great fantasy title by the same director as the GITS: Stand-Alone Complex series.

And on the crime/psychological side of things, there's absolutely no higher recommendation I can give you than Monster.  It's the story of a brilliant Japanese brain surgeon practicing in Germany whose decision to save a young gunshot victim's life comes back to haunt him in unimaginable ways.  It spends a lot of time exploring the age-old question of what drives someone to become evil, and its main villain is one of the creepiest mother****ers I've ever seen despite almost never needing to lift a finger himself.  It's a bit of a long haul at 74 episodes, but boy does it suck  you in.

saw a lot of mentions of the 1995 Ghost in the Shell movie and not one mention of its 2004 sequel which is one of my favourite movies of all time.
Isn't that one mostly 90 minutes of Batou and Togusa quoting philosophy at each other, with a few sad Basset hounds?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Isn't that one mostly 90 minutes of Batou and Togusa quoting philosophy at each other, with a few sad Basset hounds?
Only if you weren't paying attention, and also didn't notice any of the gorgeous set pieces.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Psycho-Pass is also great in terms of crime/psych.  Heavy shades of Minority Report.  Relatively new, gorgeous, good pacing, not terribly long (26 episodes for the first season, which is the best).

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Only if you weren't paying attention, and also didn't notice any of the gorgeous set pieces.
To be perfectly honest I've never seen it myself, but most fans of the franchise I know weren't particularly keen on it.  Plus I greatly prefer the Stand-Alone Complex series to Oshii's original film, so I'm not sure how much I'd dig him cranking the Oshii-ness up to another level.

It can't be worse then Blood-C can it?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
To be perfectly honest I've never seen it myself, but most fans of the franchise I know weren't particularly keen on it.  Plus I greatly prefer the Stand-Alone Complex series to Oshii's original film, so I'm not sure how much I'd dig him cranking the Oshii-ness up to another level.

I'm not much of a fan of it either. Taken on its own, its still pretty good (albeit a bit too meditative for my tastes), but it's very much a departure from what the first movie and SAC have established the franchise to be and what to expect from it.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Currently watching Stand Aloen Complex.

Ooh, now I know where that Neotokyo mod got it's inspirations from.

Oooooh it's a Lancia Stratos!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 11:54:03 am by -Joshua- »

Offline dukka

• literally terrible
    • Steam
Both seasons and the movie for SAC are mucho good, the end.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yeah, when ever those drums start going you know **** is going the **** down.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together