Author Topic: Cassini Grand Finale - thoughts?  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Cassini Grand Finale - thoughts?
Well, the Cassini mission concluded with a fiery plunge into Saturn's atmosphere.

That was one of the last ever images Cassini has taken.

I miss Cassini. And I made a tribute video to it.

Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Re: Cassini Grand Finale - thoughts?
Rest in... Pieces?

Imho NASA did a good thing crashing it. Chances for extraterrestial life below icy surfaces of Saturn's and Jupiter's moons are minimal, but at the other hand, we have no idea how extraterrestial life may look like. Perhaps those moons will make a surprise for us one day?
At least we won't leave pile of junk there, like everywhere on Earth :P.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yeah, in stead we polluted the gas giant's presently unknown about biosphere with our invasive organisms, not to mention nuclear fuel.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
yeah, in stead we polluted the gas giant's presently unknown about biosphere with our invasive organisms, not to mention nuclear fuel.

1: I know this is a joke, but I'm going to tear it apart with science anyway:beamz:  :P

2: There's no way in heck anything from Cassini could survive in Saturn's atmosphere, between the super cold temperatures, sanitizingly hot reentry, And also buoyancy. Saturn is made mostly up of hydrogen and helium, not only that, Saturn is the LEAST DENSE of the gas giants, making the problem of staying aloft even harder, even the lightest of Terran tardigrades, microbes, viroids, or even just naked RNA strands would either sink straight to Saturn's core, or in the latter two cases; get transformed via Photodissociation into Petrochemicals.
Heck, I would hypothesize that; due to Saturn's low density, metallicity, and temperatures, if lifeforms adapted for gas giants exist, Saturn may be ill suited for them. but I could be wrong on that.

3: I'm fairly certain Saturn is WAY more radioactive then Cassini, and yes, it's magnetosphere is oddly weak, but Saturn's surface area is roughly 4.27×1010 km2 (1.65×1010 sq mi) a little bit of nuclear fuel aint'gonna do. . . anything.

4: Cassini did not have the Delta-V needed to leave the Saturn system, with minimizing possible contamination in mind, can you tell me what better options there were for things to crash it into? (aside from the Carthage)

5: I KNOW YOU WERE JOKING, I JUST WANTED TO SHOW HOW BIG OF A SPACE NERD I AM.  :pimp:

Ahem, with that out of the way, here's more awesome science for ya me hardies.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 03:56:07 pm by DefCynodont119 »
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299