Author Topic: RELEASE - Wings of Dawn  (Read 218797 times)

Re: RELEASE - Wings of Dawn
Alright, so I may be late to the party on this one (probably far beyond fashionably late), but I just got around to playing WoD the other day and decided to jump in here and share my thoughts.

Spoon... imagine right now I'm bowing before you mimicking the Wayne's World "I'm not worthy!" scene. I am completely blown away at what you accomplished here, it has thus far completely exceeded any expectations I had. The setting is fantastic, the characters are hilarious, as they should be in a spanime-opera (that's space-opera anime...okay, I made it up, but I like the phrase so deal with it :P ) combat has that old-school Macross feel to it...it should be illegal to have this much fun. The ship designs are fantastic (although I admit to being tempted at adding a dedicated destroyer variant Guardian Angel. Remove the launch bays, replace with the main guns from a Challenger II, laugh at anything stupid enough to be in-front of it).

P.S. Screw the Fura'ngle and their Sweeper turrets. I smashed into one because I literally just went numb when one of those things opened up on me, so much laser fire....

Offline Lorric

Nice to see someone having so much fun with my favourite campaign.

Are you playing WoD on 3.7.0? I've been worried very recently that the game balance of WoD has changed somehow. If you're getting through the game okay, that's great. :nod:

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Awesome  :yes:

(spanime-opera, I like it :p )
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
Currently playing WoD on the new version. The balance seems unchanged to me, the ships are still the same, perhaps AI behaviour could be different?

Offline Lorric

Currently playing WoD on the new version. The balance seems unchanged to me, the ships are still the same, perhaps AI behaviour could be different?
Thanks. Either that or something to the power of the weapons if anything has changed.

Nice to see someone having so much fun with my favourite campaign.

Are you playing WoD on 3.7.0? I've been worried very recently that the game balance of WoD has changed somehow. If you're getting through the game okay, that's great. :nod:

Since I have no previous knowledge to work off of in regards to balance, I can't say if anything is different. Definitely finding some things rather challenging, the aforementioned Fura'ngle among them (Gods they are vicious), but not insurmountable.

Except for one thing. It's probably just me, as I'm partial to high-speed, high-maneuverability fighters, but I am utterly incapable of getting through the Ray-III W trials. Gunship is a non-issue, I tear those things to shreds, but the 2 Bombardiers and Pillagers in the second wave absolutely annihilate me. After the initial pass, since an opening head-on is pretty much unavoidable, by the time I've come around to acquire my next target my shields are gone and I'm down in 2-3 hits to the hull. Now, I know the Ray-W is less maneuverable than a standard Ray Mk III, but I would think it should still be able to outfly Bombardiers and Pillagers.

It's probably just me  :banghead:

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
yeah - I recall having problems with that mission as well... to be honest I just ran away a lot, occasionally turning back to lob missiles from maximum range at the unshielded Nordera until most of them were dead.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Lorric

That's interesting, since in the mission in question that seems different to me you face nothing but Nordera...

However, I have no experience with your mission, as I went the other way with the Ray choice.

Offline Flak

I find the Cordi the most annoying for me. For Nordera, if they get too close, just hit your burners and get some distance so you can get a clearer shot.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
An FYI for anyone trying to play WoD on a recent nightly, the new stricter table parser is complaining about a few quoting errors in the ships table.  Here's a fixed table; just put it in Wings Of Dawn/data/tables/

edit:  :banghead:  I missed that this is already fixed by this.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:27:39 pm by niffiwan »
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

"Oh please.
First you Terrans have the nerve to reject our rule and guidance. And then only a few years later you mongrels find yourself in exactly the situation we were going to protect you from. And to whom do they start pleading for help when they can't win?

Tsk Tsk, How ungraceful."

Just saw this.

Listen lady, take it from someone who has experience in these matters - even if you had won, you'd soon wish you hadn't. I mean sure, at first it sounds like a great idea, enlighten and educate these primitives and share with them the virtues of your superior culture (and annex all of their territory and natural resources on the side  ;7), but do they ever show even a hint of gratitude?

No, it's always:

"Stop desecrating our holy sites!"

"Stop stealing our sacred artifacts!"

"Stop working our women and children to death in dangerous mines with no safety regulations!"

And on and on, just whine, whine, whine. And soon after that, the terrorism starts. Industrial sabotage, bombings, assassinations... and no matter how many of them you make examples of, they just keep doing it!

And the worst part is how smug and self-righteous they all act throughout the whole thing, with their silly little tribal religion, those insipid earrings, those ugly wrinkled noses...

Then the Federation shows up and kicks you out, and from that point forward everyone regards you as the bad guys, for some nonsensical reason.

Trust me  - it's just not worth it.

To quote Chief O'Brien, "Bloody Cardies..."
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Lorric

Ah, Legate Damar. I miss him and his schtick. I've always found it most amusing. Where are you Legate Damar? Come on back, will you? :)

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
  • Don't get mad, consequences are revenging you.
Thanks for this, reviews say it's not only good but great, so I'll be playing for the first time, so probably I'll enjoy it and would like to thank you in advance for my future enjoyment, and congratulate you for a job welldone.

I'm now playing the mod with 3.7.0 build (3.7.2 gives errors as i start it up). It works fine until the EMP mission, it'll just freeze as soon as i hit Commit and then "FS2Open has stopped working appears". Switch to the older build i've got (3.6.18), no improvement.
It worked fine before i stopped playing the mod. I've downloaded the 2 small patch.
Any suggestion?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
If you want to play the old WoD, maybe try with FSO 3.6.12 or 3.6.14.  However I'd really recommend having a look at the new WoD instead (if you haven't already played it that is)
----
----

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I don't know why the EMP mission is acting up for some people, there isn't anything special about that mission...

I'll take a look at it today, I'll probably end up trying to make old wod compatible with 3.7.2.

Edit: it starts up fine for me with 3.7.2, though 3.7.2 debug does give a few new messages (and a few old ones that I probably should have fixed already back in the day) but I can load the game and mission 12 regardless. 

jedi19941, can you try starting mission 12 with a debug build and posting the log? Maybe that can give us a bit more insight as to why it locks up for you. (In case you are unfamiliar with debug logs)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 03:35:45 pm by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

Here's the log after i used the 3.7.0 Debug build.
Again. 3.7.2 still doesn't work for me. It keeps spewing lots of error upon starting.
I did tried to put away the patches as well.

Edit: I went back to use 3.6.14 build as suggested and it ran through the mission smoothly.
Now how do i use the save file for both build?

[attachment deleted by nobody]
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 07:14:23 am by jedi19941 »

Missing WoD-Core.vp, AWoD-Patch.vp, BWoD-Patch.vp in Wings of Dawn.

Missing MV_Assets.3612.vp, MV_Effects.3612.vp, MV_Root.3612.vp in mediavps_3612.

Delete or move to homesick folder:
Code: [Select]
Found root pack 'D:\Game\Touhou\FreeSpace 2\Homesick.vp' with a checksum of 0xe7137285
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 08:06:42 am by tomimaki »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Here's the log after i used the 3.7.0 Debug build.
Again. 3.7.2 still doesn't work for me. It keeps spewing lots of error upon starting.
I did tried to put away the patches as well.

Edit: I went back to use 3.6.14 build as suggested and it ran through the mission smoothly.
Now how do i use the save file for both build?
Well it's good that it works for you with 3.6.14 at least! But unforunately, you cannot use the same save file, since the scp changed how freespace saves pilot files some time during last year. So pilot files between .12 and .14 etc are incompatible with 3.7.0

Missing WoD-Core.vp, AWoD-Patch.vp, BWoD-Patch.vp in Wings of Dawn.

Missing MV_Assets.3612.vp, MV_Effects.3612.vp, MV_Root.3612.vp in mediavps_3612.

Delete or move to homesick folder:
Code: [Select]
Found root pack 'D:\Game\Touhou\FreeSpace 2\Homesick.vp' with a checksum of 0xe7137285
I see MV_Assets.3612.vp, MV_Effects.3612.vp, MV_Root.3612.vp in there, but I'm definitely missing the WoD-Core.vp. Which is all kinds of strange, cause if that is missing, then jedi wouldn't be able to play any missions on any build. :confused:
Urutorahappī!!

Here's another log, after i put everything back together. Still the same result.
I've been messing around with the Core.vp. Since i cannot find a VP editor which doesn't break the file itself. I decided to extract everything from the vp to the data folder using VPviewer, then put away the original vp file.
I've also moved the homesick.vp away as well, as i thought it'd make the game load the campaign with extra stuff that doesn't exist.

[attachment deleted by nobody]