Author Topic: New Eyecandy Thread  (Read 844454 times)

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Now we just need to clear that UV map and conversion list and we'd be nearly done model wise for the first release :)

I just want to say that these models are really nice and that you guys did a great job with them  :yes:. My only concern is how Inferno will fare on low end computers...

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
If it can handle FSU it can handle Inferno, heck our highest polygon count models come from FSU (Sathanas). The Bastion will be close to 48,000 once I finish cleaning up all the errors that porting it from sketch-up causes.
Holy Crap. SHIVANS! Tours

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Actually FPS rate is pretty high in most of the missions, Inferno is pretty well optimised even with lots of effects and visuals. Personaly I don't have super up to date computer, but I can play with the best possible visuals.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
All the tiles may be a problem in term of memory usage, but I guess most ships share them between each other.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Well the EA use the same 9 or 10 and there's a common set for the Terran and Shivan ships. Most ships only use 5 or 6 tiles per ship if possible so there's no loading multiple ships with 15 individual tiles.

If your PC can handle the media vps then you'll have no problems here. Integrated graphics might not work well though.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I really hope you guys uvmap it, tiles will ruin that absolutely wonderful model.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
Sadly there just won't be time to UVmap and texture it before our first release, however that doesn't stop us from coming back and doing it later possibly before the release of the second chapter.
Holy Crap. SHIVANS! Tours

I really hope you guys uvmap it, tiles will ruin that absolutely wonderful model.
Complaining about tilemapping is easy enough, but you should try texturing a UVed capship some day - it'll give you a whole new appreciation for the speed and ease of development that tilemapping allows :P
Not looking top-notch? Perhaps, but if it can bring a release forward by six months (or more - see e.g. Colossus) I'll take it. One bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

All you tile-trollers should get off your arses and learn texturing, instead of just complaining that people aren't doing it.[/rant]

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
The reason full UVMapping is not an option is our intended release date is only a few months away. We currently have no staff members capable of texturing, or even tilemapping for that matter. We have about 10 models that need to be tilemapped and there's little chance we will get them all done now before the release date.
I don't intend on delaying the date so we are focussing on 4 major models (Diablo, Bastion, Sol Gate and a secret EA model) which we can't do without. The remaining models are the Shivan and Vasudan cruisers shown a few months ago, and the GTI Arcas and the Arcadia extensions (which aren't finalised meshes right now anyway)
Everything else is ready or won't be included until the 2nd half of the campaign is ready (Gigas, Icanus etc)

The remaining models will have to be patched in when they are ready if they aren't done in time. I don't plan on keeping those HTL models lying around till the 2nd release so we'll do a content patch when it's needed.

If anyone has any experience with tilemapping and would like to help feel free to drop us a message

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
which we can't do without.
This is the part I don't believe.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
The last mission cannot be made without one of the models as we don't have a working version of the model currently with everything we need for the mission. We can't get around it by not having the model.
The Sol Gate model is so different we have to change the existing missions to use it.

So yeah can't launch without those. The stability of the existing Bastion model is also borderline at best, so there's 3 we must have. We could probably get away with the old Diablo but that's about it.

Originally it was an all or nothing, but our best estimate for doing all the remaining models would be around October and that's way too late.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Complaining about tilemapping is easy enough, but you should try texturing a UVed capship some day - it'll give you a whole new appreciation for the speed and ease of development that tilemapping allows :P
Not looking top-notch? Perhaps, but if it can bring a release forward by six months (or more - see e.g. Colossus) I'll take it. One bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

All you tile-trollers should get off your arses and learn texturing, instead of just complaining that people aren't doing it.[/rant]
One, I never said texturing was easy or even hinted at it, try not attacking shadows.

Second, the Colossus isn't holding back the FSU release (it's also already textured, though it lacks normals and shines as well as good looks since Galemp **** all over it but that's a tangent) at all, we'd release without it honestly.

The reason full UVMapping is not an option is our intended release date is only a few months away. We currently have no staff members capable of texturing, or even tilemapping for that matter. We have about 10 models that need to be tilemapped and there's little chance we will get them all done now before the release date.
I don't intend on delaying the date so we are focussing on 4 major models (Diablo, Bastion, Sol Gate and a secret EA model) which we can't do without. The remaining models are the Shivan and Vasudan cruisers shown a few months ago, and the GTI Arcas and the Arcadia extensions (which aren't finalised meshes right now anyway)
Everything else is ready or won't be included until the 2nd half of the campaign is ready (Gigas, Icanus etc)

The remaining models will have to be patched in when they are ready if they aren't done in time. I don't plan on keeping those HTL models lying around till the 2nd release so we'll do a content patch when it's needed.

If anyone has any experience with tilemapping and would like to help feel free to drop us a message
I know how to do tile mapping. I don't like it, but I can do it.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
FREDding missions is a lot more important than making the ship look good. It can always be patched afterwards.

One, I never said texturing was easy or even hinted at it, try not attacking shadows.
Then you should know that some mods don't really have the luxury of choice on this. Yes, everyone knows that UV textures are nicer, but if there's no texturer willing to do it? Tough luck.

So could all you tile-trolls (you know who you are) just stop rubbing salt in the wounds - it's not doing anyone any good.

Second, the Colossus isn't holding back the FSU release (it's also already textured, though it lacks normals and shines as well as good looks since Galemp **** all over it but that's a tangent) at all, we'd release without it honestly.
Hmm, I should have phrased that more clearly - I was referring to the Colossus specifically, not the MVPs as a whole.

Offline Valiran

I have a question: why does the Bastion have that massive runway?  It doesn't appear to serve any real purpose.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Coolness.

Offline Valiran

Coolness.

It doesn't look cool to me, just pointless.