Author Topic: The *noob-friendly* Guide to Installing FreeSpace 2 Open  (Read 188754 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: The *noob-friendly* Guide to Installing FreeSpace 2 Open
Well, why does http://www.lunardigitalproductions.com/downloads/fs1/fsport/ generate a Page Not Found error when I click on it?  That's a Mjn.Mixael question. :p

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Seriously?

That's just a file path.. there's no index page there, so you are going to get a page not found. That's how the internet works.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Often -- especially for publicly accessible files -- the site allows directory listings.  Just like the other link Sandwich posted.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Not mine.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Yeah, some sites don't allow users to list directory.  I always found that a nuisance (like, if the file generates a 404, maybe it was misspelled when a new version was uploaded, I could download the new file if I could list the directory, but noooo, I'm not allowed.  :ick: )  Nothing against you, mjn, but I don't get the point of not allowing directory list.  If you have something you don't want others to see, put it in another directory??  lol I don't see why someone couldn't just make a /public/ directory, make the directory contents displayable, and have everything above the /public/ directory private.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's that way on my site because I never set it up... and I'm not going to set it up anytime soon because I neither have the time nor the specific know-how (short of building a coded index page to handle the query). I don't like doing web development.. but I'm the most qualified in the studio to do it. I'd much rather spend my time working on video projects than google searching the web to figure out how to build a public file list.

Besides, I thought it was a kind enough gesture to even host the files on my server.. you people.. all you want is more, more, more.  :lol:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
If your server allows it, all you probably need to do is create a .htaccess file in the folder that tells Apache to allow directory listing.  It's not programming so much as a complicated config file syntax, but there are tons of examples of how to enable directory listing on Google I'm sure.  I don't care if you do or not, just saying it's probably not as difficult as you're thinking.  On fs2downloads, default is listable, so I just put a index file in folders I want private.  Seems to work well enough.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Don't allow directory listings, it's a bad (security-wise) idea.

What the launcher was telling me was that the files it was trying to download form that path were missing or something... in other words, it was looking for files inside that folder, not just going to the folder's URL and expecting to magically be handed a file. :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yes, I know that.  I was just being lazy and using the lack of a directory listing as an excuse to avoid searching for the file. :p

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Do I need to come on-board the SCP as a Quality Advisor?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Not gonna lie, that _would_ be nice to have.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Well then, where do we start?

EDIT: Oh, wait - that's my job. Ok, step 1: fix the launcher! ;)