Author Topic: Nebulon B Frigate WIP UPDATED June 05, 2015  (Read 106044 times)

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
There's also that too
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I don't know if I'd call them royally souped up.  We figured that the panels actually affected how much power you could safely pull from the engines without overheating issues, etc.  So the original grey TIE Fighter had a primitive ball and panels, the TIE/ln Fighter had the same ball used for the TIE Interceptor, but still an aging panel design, and the Interceptor made use of newer panels to allow the engine to run at higher output.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
which would mean TIE/in COULD have an 'WEP'- like system to boost its speed up to interceptor levels..?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well, whatever the Fighter has, the Interceptor would have, but better.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Somehow I don't think that making angled wing panels is going to make your engine more powerful, or even provide enough power to have four lasers instead of two. This is like the eagle and the tomcat fighter jet. They look kinda similar, but they're not the same at all.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It wasn't just making them angled.  The wings as a whole are a newer technology, and actually house a lot of the power technology.  The ball just doesn't have room for all of it, and the wings perform a lot of the work.   Or so we're going to argue.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
My personal view on the subject is somewhat like the Hornet and the Super Hornet.  There's obvious exterior differences, but most parts on them are nearly identical, yet you can't just upgrade a hornet into a super hornet, it's actually a vastly different plane that just happens to look almost the same.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

It wasn't just making them angled.  The wings as a whole are a newer technology, and actually house a lot of the power technology.  The ball just doesn't have room for all of it, and the wings perform a lot of the work.   Or so we're going to argue.
Magic! It's the catch-all explanation for everything that defies explanation! (See also: technobabble, handwavium, retcon)

Since the only "true canon" in Star Wars is the movies themselves and lets face it, as much as we all love the universe, there are plot holes big enough to fit Everest inside of and the technology, without fans stretching it to compete with Trekkies on tech, does not work.

That being said, here is my two cents on the fighters in the Neb:

If it has ANY in it at all make it a small element of 2-4 fighters in the medical version.  If not leave it at zero.  The assault version on the other hand.  Make that one have a hanger in it big enough to care two squads and be done with the situation.  Battleships and cruisers in WWII only carried anywhere from 0-4 planes (pending on the ship/class).

While taking screen captures of bobbtmann's freighter, I grabbed a couple of the Nebulon B from the end of TESB. First:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Good lord! That Y-Wing is HUGE! Couldn't possibly fit more than two in a Nebulon B!
Seriously though, in that screen and this next, you should be able to more clearly see the medical bay where Luke, Leia, R2, and C3PO are standing, and hopefully compare that in scale to the rest of the ship.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Depth perception does not work that way.

Just because it's big doesn't mean it's actually big. It's a close-up flyby. Seriously.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Depth perception does not work that way.

Just because it's big doesn't mean it's actually big. It's a close-up flyby. Seriously.

I'm fairly sure he knows that - and that he was making a joke.  Hence the "Seriously, though..."

Offline PHRiSCo

Update: So I've been @ United Front Games for about a month now working on True Crime: Hong Kong, I'm extremely busy and won't be able to update the frigate for awhile. I do want to get back to it though, the geometry is almost done.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Glad to hear it's not abandoned yet :)

Offline PHRiSCo

I t wont be abandoned, I love it!

Offline PHRiSCo

Re: Nebulon B Frigate WIP
updated today (March 23th) I think the geometry is complete, any feedback is appreciated!

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Could you please post up some renders with some anti aliasing?  Also losing the background and ortho views would be nice, as well as AO.

Offline PHRiSCo

Done!

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Or if you could (also) post the mesh itself in some kind of an accessible format (.dae?) then that'd be the best way for giving and getting feedback.

Well, as I was writing this you seem to have posted those new renders, which do give a much better good look at it.