Author Topic: 20040405 test build - Win32 build of Linux tree, OGL fixes, preloads  (Read 13706 times)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
20040405 test build - Win32 build of Linux tree, OGL fixes, preloads
I don't foresee any big problems but this build has a "use at your own peril" status.

20040405-win32.zip

There are three main things I'm looking to test with this build:

- The is based on the Linux code tree.  Verification is needed that no new bugs exist in the Windows version in general and specifically D3D.

- This build contains PhReAk's new OpenGL changes as well as my changes and bug fixes.  Lines and shaders should work now.  32-bit texture support is available with DevIL (dlls included).  There are a couple of minor performance fixes to OpenGL in here but I don't know if they will be noticed.  The command line options "-jpgtga", "-pcx32" and "-glow" will work as expected now.  If you have a nVIDIA card and get crashes when entering a mission using OpenGL please try the "-novbo" command line option.

- Since the previous build reduced memory usage it's time to make better use of some of the savings with new preload options for sounds and planets.  A new commandline option exists "-snd_preload" which will preload game sounds when you start a mission.  This should only add about 10megs to the memory footprint but will have all of the mission sounds preloaded to help reduce stutters.  The second thing is that planets will now preload into OpenGL texture memory at mission load now.  This should help reduce the delay when viewing tga planets for the first time.  The planet preload is OpenGL only.

What I'm looking for is things that are broken, whether the stutters are reduced and if there are any new OpenGL related issues.  Please DO NOT file new bugs into Mantis on this build.  If you see that bug in Mantis that's fixed in this build please list the bug number here.  Add any new bugs to this thread.  I'm not sure yet how many of these changes will make it into CVS before 3.6 so it's up to the testers to decided if any of these changes are worthy/required/needed.

Additional changes:
 - ani's are used by default (if found) for all ship textures (may not get in CVS)
 - mods will now be searched with an absolute path, probably won't make a difference for most people
 - OpenGL mouse cursor saves now use the proper 32x32 rather than 24x24 size
 - neb poofs are no longer preloaded unless in a FULLNEB mission
 - mods don't list normal pilots on the pilot select screen (may not get in CVS)
 - other stuff that I don't remember

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
even if env_mapping will only be in 3.6, dont you guys need to test it before then?

oh, and work on the whole collaboration thing, I'm swiftly becoming confused
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
env_mapping is after 3.6
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline ViRGE

I'm not sure what to classify this as, but I think I found a bug in the game reguarding damage/destructability of a capital ship. Playing "Proving Grounds"(the mission where you test the delta-wing shaped ships), I was unable to destroy the Corvette Timat, as it became progressively harder to inflict a precentage point of damage on it, ending with me getting it down to 1%, and unable to do another precent after putting 2 banks of those dumb-fire missiles in it(the previous 1% taking almost the whole 2 banks). Unless I'm mistaken, this ship is supposed to be destructable(as a bonus target), so it would seem the game has a bug in it reguarding that.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 10:59:40 pm by 1239 »

Offline Turambar

I was playing that mission where the Aquitaine is leaving the nebula and the one after it, with the Erinyes, and it all seemed to work fine.  Of course, I didn't bother trying to destroy any capships.  No Stuttering! very good, shove it together with Bobbau's work and we'll have a kickass build
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
my stuff is all currently in CVS, after I commited I started trying to get a better shield renderer
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Originally posted by ViRGE
I'm not sure what to classify this as, but I think I found a bug in the game reguarding damage/destructability of a capital ship. Playing "Proving Grounds"(the mission where you test the delta-wing shaped ships), I was unable to destroy the Corvette Timat, as it became progressively harder to inflict a precentage point of damage on it, ending with me getting it down to 1%, and unable to do another precent after putting 2 banks of those dumb-fire missiles in it(the previous 1% taking almost the whole 2 banks). Unless I'm mistaken, this ship is supposed to be destructable(as a bonus target), so it would seem the game has a bug in it reguarding that.

in the original game, damage stopped being dealt once a big ship like covette or destroyer hit 10% hull.  then you need trebs or bombs to finish it off.  now it gets exponentially harder to kill big ships with small weapons once their health approaches zero.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Turambar:  I was actually trying to be less confusing by doing all of this testing on one build rather than 2 or 3.  It's possible that I was unsuccessful ;)  It helps me this way since I would only have to fix things in one code tree and then intergrate them into a Windows only CVS later.  I'm alreay moving some of the smaller OpenGL fixes into a Windows only tree with the 32-bit changes coming last.  None of these changes are really new, it's just that everything is together for the first time in a build that is available for Windows rather than just Linux.

I had done a CVS update a couple of hours before making this build so everything that Bobboau had committed to CVS as of Monday afternoon is in this build.

Bobboau:  Did your full nebula brightness fixes make it into CVS with your update?  I think I saw at least one but it didn't have any affect with OpenGL for me and it still pretty much whites out.  Picture - that's pretty bad and not always that white but it should give you and idea of how unplayable neb2 missions are in OGL.  That screen shot was taken about 3 seconds after entering "A Game of TAG".

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by taylor
Turambar:  I was actually trying to be less confusing by doing all of this testing on one build rather than 2 or 3.  It's possible that I was unsuccessful ;)  It helps me this way since I would only have to fix things in one code tree and then intergrate them into a Windows only CVS later.  I'm alreay moving some of the smaller OpenGL fixes into a Windows only tree with the 32-bit changes coming last.  None of these changes are really new, it's just that everything is together for the first time in a build that is available for Windows rather than just Linux.

I think he's complaining about the fact that you, Kazan and Bob all have builds out for testing at the moment rather than anything you've done in this particular build.

Putting Bobs stuff in this build is certainly a step in the right direction.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Turambar
even if env_mapping will only be in 3.6, dont you guys need to test it before then?

oh, and work on the whole collaboration thing, I'm swiftly becoming confused

Hey, welcome to HLP, Turambar. :)

:welcome:
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Turambar

Bob was a little naughty working on the env mapping. The SCP are supposedly in a code freeze at the moment. The idea is that no one adds any new code except for fixing bugs.

The idea is to get 3.6 stable so that we can shout about it from the rooftops (rather than getting people here only to find that FS2_open doesn't work for them/has huge bugs in it.)

As such the env mapping stuff won't be in until 3.6 when new code can be added again.

and this is why i expect a 3.6.1 within a week after 3.6. and why i expect 3.6.1 to be the most feature filled, buggy release ever.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
my nebula brightness fix was in there, but it seems like OGL doesn't suport the alpha level that you set when you set the bitmap.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The less buggy we can get 3.6, the less buggy 3.6.1 will be. :)

Offline ViRGE

Originally posted by PhReAk

in the original game, damage stopped being dealt once a big ship like covette or destroyer hit 10% hull.  then you need trebs or bombs to finish it off.  now it gets exponentially harder to kill big ships with small weapons once their health approaches zero.
Ahh, so I'm not going crazy.:) Now, change it back to the way it was; if it stuck at 10%, I would have been able to figure out what's going on a lot easier.:eek2:

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
This way makes more sense as long s you can't actually kill the ship.

Offline ViRGE

Another bug: with -stats, physical memory usage was reading 4000MB+ at one point(I think it was 4011 or something like that). I don't have 4GB of memory(768MB), and every other metric was right, so there's just something amiss in the phy. memory code.

Offline J3Vr6

So is this the one we're supposed to use to play and test?  There's like 3 out there now and each of them doesn't have what the other did.

Are you guys planning on consolidating all these three releases into one so we can test?
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Originally posted by ViRGE
Another bug: with -stats, physical memory usage was reading 4000MB+ at one point(I think it was 4011 or something like that). I don't have 4GB of memory(768MB), and every other metric was right, so there's just something amiss in the phy. memory code.

Hmm, I'm seeing the same thing here too.  Rather peculiar.

Offline Turambar

What the hell is up with those little blue boxes around certain menu items!!